Why do we self sabotage? I have a terrorist living inside me.!

Options
2»

Replies

• otherowl
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    Add me to the "abandon keto" crowd.

Why make this so much harder than it needs to be? Starving your body of carbohydrates until it feeds on other sources to meet it's needs...plus there's a good chance you'll get sick from this diet. "Keto flu" they call it. Keto zealots act like it's normal, but to me any diet that makes you sick can't be very good for you.

Count your calories, keep at a reasonable deficit. There you go! Eat whatever food groups you want, just don't overindulge.

Doesn't that sound easier?
    HARDER? What you don't seem to understand is that it's actually EASIER. LIGHT YEARS EASIER!

I'm eating roughly the same calories I have been since the end of August, all that's changed is my dietary macros. The reason I LIKE this way of eating is that, unlike the entire month of September and October and beginning of November, I'M NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE. I was hungry more than 50% of my waking hours, waking up hungry, going to bed hungry. Fantasizing about food. For a loss of, BARELY 1 lb a week. I constantly felt deprived and I'd resolved that if I want to get my weight down I'm going to have to get used to being hungry and having the thought of food at the back of my mind for the rest of my life. At my age (49) with my metabolism fighting me and health issues that prevent hard core exercise eating at a deficit is nearly impossible (menopausal women classically cannot lose weight, it's like our destiny to get fatter as we age).

On keto, I'm not hungry, I can take or leave food, when I eat I enjoy what I eat but I'm not bolting my meal because I'm ravenous and I've dropped almost five pounds this past week. I've lost inches, so it can't ALL be water weight, and again, it's a little over four pounds, not the huge 10 to 15 lb wooshes you traditionally hear associated with Atkins induction/keto that are water loss. I was already eating lower carb and had been edging my carbs down a few weeks prior to going full keto plus I normally drink a LOT of water, a gallon generally (one habit from my weight lifting days I never lost), so I probably don't hold as much water as less hydrated people.

As for the Keto flu, I didn't get it. If a person is eating a high carb diet loaded with refined products, I guess they'll feel a change. I'd been eating a lower carb (carbs around 75 to 100g), low fat diet that was 100% whole food, no refined flours (I'm gluten intolerant) so maybe I adapted to this diet faster than someone eating like most of Americans.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The_Wise_Pickle.jpg
    You should stop keto just cuz you make fruit sound like it's the worst food in the world. "Sabotaged yourself"? With fruit? That's a first... most people use sabotage and junk food in that same sentence. Just eat at a deficit without freaking out about food.

The_Wise_Pickle.jpg
  • otherowl
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    111grace wrote: »
    Any solutions! would be appreciated :)

Sure. Stop keto. Eat in a deficit.

yup. love your kidneys. stop keto.

I love my kidneys. I do keto. I also love to do my research before I hand out advice.
    TITCR

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yep protein can cause constipation!!! crappy topic I know haha. but painful. Increasing fiber seems to help. If you come up with a better solution let me know.

If you're not pooing on keto your fats aren't high enough. What is your macro breakdown?
  • otherowl
    Options
    For anyone who reads this that is itching to criticize the ketogenic diet, please take what I'm about to say into consideration: I doubt if any of us who follow this diet are saying that THIS IS THE ONE TRUE WAY! What we ARE trying to say is that this is a viable alternative and may be a particularly desirable one if you should have any of the metabolic issues (metabolic syndrome, prediabetic state, possibly PCOS and/or other hormonal imbalances) that make weight loss difficult if not impossible. In my younger days I ate macros of 40p/30c/30f, weight trained at least five hours a week in addition to six or more hours of cardio a week. I wasn't hungry because I was eating about every three hours. Now I have tendon deterioration in my shoulders and elbows, I have no supraspinatus tendon in my right shoulder anymore, osteoarthritis in my neck, lower back, hips and knees, I'm perimenopausal and am on thyroid medication. I physically cannot exercise 10+ hours a week. My life is quite sedentary. To lose weight I have to basically starve. Keto makes starvation possible without suffering.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    otherowl wrote: »
    yes, please. I"m interested in such studies. what "you've always believed" should be irrelevant with good studies. please send!

I'm happy to oblige.

1. Long term effects of a Ketogenic Diet in Obese patients ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

2. Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

3. A review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets nature.com/ejcn/journal/v67/n8/full/ejcn2013116a.html

That's enough for now, there's stuff on the internet and probably tons more if you actually go TO a library, plus tons of obscure studies referenced in articles and on websites.

Finally, here's a final link, it's not a study but an interesting, down to earth article in Scientific American about ketogenic diets that references other studies (primary focusing on neurologic impact, but if our brains are healthy it follows the body should be more inclined to be so, doesn't it? Plus, I find the thought of dementia, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's frightening prospects as I enter my ummm, golden years). blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/2013/10/01/the-fat-fueled-brain-unnatural-or-advantageous/

awesome! thanks!
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    One peach a day and 10 - 12 glasses of water and some bran cereal, tbl or so in a salad ought to make a difference. Plus exercise daily aids in elimination.
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    500 to 1,000 mg of magnesium at bedtime.
  • Buttercupxxx
    Buttercupxxx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    More water and try some Metamucil in the evening- you don't want things happening at work the next day :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Yep protein can cause constipation!!! crappy topic I know haha. but painful. Increasing fiber seems to help. If you come up with a better solution let me know.

Keto isn't easy, but there are low carber groups on here. If you continue with the above drink more water, or get to know a good plumber.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I second the magnesium...or go to a Naturopath or Dietician and have them help you with a solution!
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Tasteless fiber powder. Add it to whatever you're drinking. Wonderful stuff.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "God, holy war and terrorism"?
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Answering: "God, holy war and terrorism"?
    God because all things are not possible without GOD.
    Holy war, because without the HOLY SPIRIT I would not be able to defeat ( still fighting) this beast.( that tries to bring me down). and have victory and happiness.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. My beliefs differ from yours, but I was nevertheless struck by your choice of language.
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find that not enough fat in my diet gives me trouble with constipation. It may be just a need of my body i'm not sure but I find a good balance with enough healthy fats helps keep things regular.