Tagged for later!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you are open I suggest that you go on a complete fruit/veggies/salad diet which has only naturally occurring sodium and no added salt.

I recommend book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman (a real doctor) that promotes a life style of healthy eating that particularly addresses HBP and Cholesterol. This book was a god send as I was able to take care of all of my health problems with this.

Good Luck!
  • rowanstuff
    Options
    Harissa is a good low-salt replacement for many condiments. Its easy to make or buy. Don't use Sriracha, its crazy salty.

Foods that have a lot of flavor or spice don't need any salt. My wife makes a salt-free curry that is great. She made salt-free stuffed peppers. Today I made a chicken stir-fry without using soy sauce(even the low-salt version is crazy bad). I used Harissa and apple cider vinegar. Its hard to give the recipe for anything my wife makes because she never measures.

Balsamic vinegar is another great item to have on hand.
    Google "The Sodium Girl" she avoided a kidney transplant by eating low salt, and shares her recipes and experiences in her blog.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Tasteofhome.com Low Sodium Spaghetti Sauce
    Very good. Takes some prep time but could go in the crock pot to simmer.
    Only 57 milligrams of sodium per cup. Lots of veggies.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • luvthebargains
    luvthebargains Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great tips here - now I need to use them
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think you could go ahead and make the recipes, just use lower sodium ingredients like no sodium chicken broth, soy sauce or etc. Add no extra salt.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I purchased the American Heart Assoc low-sodium cookbook for my kindle - lots of great recipes. AHA also has some on their webite :)