daily calories to lose weight

Options
Many of you have suggested not eating out even twice a week and weighing everything I eat. I have been using Mcpherson for 2weeks now and it has my caloric intake at 1200/day. I looked at 2 websites and spoke with trainer who says that's too low. I'm 5'5" 199# female with a goal weight of 150#. I workout 4-5 times a week for 1hour vigorously. 40 minute free weight strength training 15 cardio. Does anyone know my calories intake per day. Other sites said 1600-1700. Feel like there is too much error. Wanting to quit log.

Replies

• dreamthin2012
    Options
    MFP..not Mcpherson. Stupid auto correct
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    MFP guesses notoriously lowly, especially because I'm going to guess you have your goal set extreme (2lbs a week?). Are you eating back your workout burns?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Change to either 1 or 1.5 pounds per week. I'm 5'6" and 196 pounds, and I lose comfortably on 1570 plus my Fitbit adjustments.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1600-1700 is perfect! just remember you wont be eating back your exercise calories. Great job on the strength training! that is great. Also be sure to monitor your macro ratios, you should get about 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, so 199g. And only 20% fat
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    the mfp approach to counting calories allowance is flawed. A large percentage of people misunderstand it. Use a TDEE counter. (total daily calorie counter) then subtract no more than 500 calories but add more if you have to avoid hunger.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    btw i lost weight at 1650 calories per day, no exercise at all and starting considerably less than yours.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and losing on 1640ish calories per day. I exercise, and I eat the calories back.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    According to Scooby http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#top you could easily lose 1 pound a week by eating 1956 calories daily. This includes already your exercise so you don't eat your exercise calories back. :flowerforyou:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have your goal set too aggressively, so you should lower that. Additionally, you'll want to eat back half your exercise calories. That puts you at considerably more calories.
  • dreamthin2012
    Options
    I'm entering my dinner and exercise at 9pmto see where I landed. I usually have done enough exercise to take care of any extra calories I ate that day plus have about 160 give or take calories to the good. I don't eat anything else. My last food of the day is at 6 or 6:30. Wish it could be earlier but that's when family is all home. We exercise right after supper.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm entering my dinner and exercise at 9pmto see where I landed. I usually have done enough exercise to take care of any extra calories I ate that day plus have about 160 give or take calories to the good. I don't eat anything else. My last food of the day is at 6 or 6:30. Wish it could be earlier but that's when family is all home. We exercise right after supper.

Why would that matter? Meal timing is purely personal preference.

OP, I do think your calories are set too aggressive. I'm 5'3.5 " and lost 53 lbs at 1650 calories before exercise (most days I was around 1900).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Pre-log- helps tremendously!