Eating Clean and Protein Intake

Options
Hi All, I am hoping to get some ideas of how to include more natural proteins in my diet. I currently weigh about 174 lbs (5'11) and am at about 23% body fat. I have been doing a heavy lifting routine for a while now and I aim to intake 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, and have been using protein powders and bars to supplement my protein intake in order to hit those numbers. I have been trying to steer away from as many processed foods as possible, and am starting to feel guilty about using those protein powders/bars. Any suggestions for hitting high protein goals without protein supplements? Or, do you think that using the protein supplements to hit protein goals is worth it? Thanks!

Replies

• annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have included that I usually consume either 1 bar or 1 protein shake a day....so most of my protein is from natural sources.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1g per pound of body weight might be excessive. Not anything wrong with it but it's typically recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein(even for strength training in a deficit).

Chicken, fish, Greek yogurt, eggs, bacon, cheese, cottage cheese, quinoa, edamame, lentils are some of my favorite. Nothing wrong with supplements, it's just that food typically has more nutrients to them than bars and powders. Assuming you're getting your bodies nutrient intake, there's nothing inherently wrong with any food though. Don't start down the path of food guilt(feeling bad about eating food).
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What do you consider eating clean and processed foods? It would be helpful to have some context in order to make suggestions. Are you looking at number of ingredients, packaging, additives or preservatives, etc?

I don't have an issue with protein supplements, but I'm also finding I can hit my protein without it from foods like chicken, greek yogurt, and eggs/egg whites. I also eat a high protein bread, but that might be too processed for what you are looking for.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    As stated above, there are many different definitions of eating clean. What is yours? I try not to eat packaged (boxed or canned) foods because they generally add way to much sodium to increase shelf life. Otherwise, everything else if fair game and I pay attention to what types of restaurant foods I eat because you generally have the same problem as packaged foods. Home cooked is best. One gram of protein per body weight is a lot of protein. You should be eating 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. However, I haven't seen any studies that suggest that there is any problem with excess protein as long as you don't exceed your allowed caloric intake. You can get your protein needs from plants and animal sources without supplements but if you find yourself running lower than you need for the day, they help in a pinch. Nothing wrong with them, just make sure you are getting all your other daily nutrients.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I would agree with Bombshell and add shrimp and scallops. Scallops wrapped in bacon; wait, I'll digress. Whey protein shake if I need it, but hitting the protein marker has become easier over time. A shake or bar will not kill you. . . .I think. Best of luck.
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone--great advice! I typically try to stay away from boxed/packaged foods/anything that has ingredients that I can't pronounce.... :) Bombshell--you're right about the food guilt thing. It is so easy to start overthinking everything you eat. I think I'll adjust my macros to 1 g protein per pound of lean mass and see how that goes for a while, and see if I can hit those protein numbers without the shakes/bars. Thanks again!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are losing weight and progressing then there is no reason to eat "clean" or change your current routine….
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The shakes and bars are helping you. You might as well keep them as part of your days.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you are losing weight and progressing then there is no reason to eat "clean" or change your current routine….

Except for Superior health benefits!

Any diet eaten in a calorie deficit will help you lose weight - on that basis all diets are created equal CICO!

Not all diets are created equal when it comes to health and well being.

Clean 'whatever the term really means' diets on the whole can be healthier in the long run than and standard western diet of mass produced (multi ingredient) processed foods eaten in moderation. IMHO

;)