waist cinchers at the gym

Options
So there has been a lot of talk about waist training since Kim Kardashian revealed that photo and says that she practices it.

I'm not interested in wearing a corset like that every day because I know it can't be healthy..BUT I have seen a girl at the gym (whom I admire, she lifts like a beast) wearing something similar. Maybe it's just for back support..but it looks an awful lot like a waist cincher.

Anyone use these? Know anything about them? What's the point and do they work?

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You're kidding, that's a thing now? Are you sure it wasn't just a weight belt, like to provide support to your back for deadlifts and such?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It was more than likely a weight belt for back support. I have heard of a few people who do the silly corset thing to make their waist smaller but it's an extreme sort of thing and certainly not recommended. You can screw up your internal organs that way.
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Fairly sure it wasn't a weight belt, as it covered her entire midsection from bottom of ribs to just below the belly button. Looked like it zipped up in the middle. Ah, maybe i'll just ask her if I see her around.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Google waist trimmer belt. I bet that's what it was.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Waist training is extremely dangerous. It damages the skin and causes damage to internal organs. The corset makes breathing difficult. As you know, oxygen is vital to life and proper organ function. When oxygen supply is cut, it directly affects your organs and can result in long-term damage.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sort of sounds like a compression belt, sometimes they have you wear one after surgery (hernia, abdominal, back).
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Team_KiKi wrote: »
    Sort of sounds like a compression belt, sometimes they have you wear one after surgery (hernia, abdominal, back).

That's what I was thinking. Could be she was wearing it for surgical / medical reasons.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I wear a neoprene wrap around my waist for support when I lift (its about 6 inches wide and holds via velcro. It goes around about 2.5 times). The traditional leather weight-lifting belts just don't fit me well. I think they're based on guy's bodies and I felt like it was giving me the Heimlich the entire time. :smiley: The neoprene one provides support and a little give.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have to chuckle at these young women wearing corsets.

I don't think a girl in the gym would be wearing a corset, though. It would be difficult to move around and take deep breaths while wearing one.

I think these young women will grow tired of being uncomfortable and switch their corsets out for Spanx or just go without. It's a phase, they'll get over it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I like my organs where they are, thank you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Many girls who compete in figure and bikini use squeems. It's terrible.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I wear a neoprene wrap around my waist for support when I lift (its about 6 inches wide and holds via velcro. It goes around about 2.5 times). The traditional leather weight-lifting belts just don't fit me well. I think they're based on guy's bodies and I felt like it was giving me the Heimlich the entire time. :smiley: The neoprene one provides support and a little give.

Weight lifting belts aren't there for support. They are used to help you engage your core better during the main lifts (usually only used when you are lifting 80%+ of your 1RM). They purposefully do not have give because you are bracing against them. It might be a good idea to just drop the wrap since it's most likely giving you a false sense of security.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There's a few things to address in this post...

maxresdefault.jpg

The products you're referring to are falsely called "waist cinchers". They are in fact NOT a true waist cincher (a type of corset) as they lack laces and boning. They therefore do not offer the level of compression or support an actual corset does to perform waist training.

Waist training with corsets IS real but involves steel boned corsets being worn for many hours a day for months at a time. This rearranges organs and narrows your ribs.

This "waist cinchers" are only closed with a fish and hook lock at the front of the corset and contain no boning. They are made of neoprene (non breathable material) to help you sweat.

So let's get this straight. It's a compression garment similar to spanx, made of material to make you sweat, and only intended to be worn for a short duration of time (while exercising).

Any benefit you'll receive from this product will be incredibly minimal and temporary (water weight).
  • Weirdology
    Weirdology Posts: 4
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I love it when people run their mouths and act like experts about things they haven't even researched (let alone tried) and instead just spread myths.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think these young women will grow tired of being uncomfortable and switch their corsets out for Spanx or just go without. It's a phase, they'll get over it.

Btw, spanx doesn't do the same thing a corset does. Spanx takes in fat and maybe some flesh. Corsets take in the lower "floating" ribs. Corsets cannot be replaced with spanx for those of us who have a wide rib cage and a "H" shaped body.

And no I wasn't uncomfortable or going through a phase. It actually got rid of my back pain and improved my posture (something I unsuccessfully tried to do for years on my own). I only stopped because I gained weight. Those who corset train often do it for a long time, as your body goes back to it's original shape if you go too long without wearing one. And we all know how important sticking to the mainstream image of beauty is. The consequences of not doing so are far more severe than simply wearing a corset, so there's nothing to "grow tired of." That's like saying women are going to grow tired of putting on make up, wearing push up bras (or bras in general), and getting plastic surgery because it's just a phase.

Also, corsets only move your organs when taken in an extreme amount (think Cathy Jung). Even then, it moves them in the same position as your body naturally does when pregnant and there's no health problems associated with it.

Edit: Sorry, got kinda mad there. As for the OP, it could be anything. It's most likely some type of medical device or brace. But it could also be a corset. I know of a few women who wear them while exercising, just as long as they don't do anything that involves bending the waist. Waist cinchers (shorter corsets) seem to be popular for those who like to exercise in them, but some exercise in the typical longer underbust too. I personally found it too difficult to move like I usually do for exercise. You need a lot of control and muscle strength. However it doesn't make you short of breath, no more than regular exercise does.
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I wear an abdominal binder at all times because I have diastasis recti from pregnancy. I was instructed to do so by my physical therapist. I hate wearing it, but it does support my abdomen and lessens the pain I have from an abdominal hernia that resulted from the diastasis.
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There's a few things to address in this post...

maxresdefault.jpg

The products you're referring to are falsely called "waist cinchers". They are in fact NOT a true waist cincher (a type of corset) as they lack laces and boning. They therefore do not offer the level of compression or support an actual corset does to perform waist training.

I'm back! It looked most like that. I wouldn't doubt if she were using it for that purpose. She looks like the kind of girl that may compete, so maybe she was looking for that temporary benefit.