Is anyone fighting PCOS?

Options
I may have PCOS and I was wondering if anyone has had problem losing weight? I have been doing really good the past 4 weeks and I have actually gained.

Replies

• JenniferMann24
    Options
    I may have PCOS and I was wondering if anyone has had problem losing weight? I have been doing really good the past 4 weeks and I have actually gained.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Not sure what that is, exactly.......scratching my head now.....
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    Polycystic ovary syndrome. Sorry.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Not sure what that is, exactly.......scratching my head now.....

Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome

I don't have it, I don't think! But I do know that it can cause difficulty losing weight. A few people here have posted about it, hopefully they will see this!
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was having symptonms of this which in turn caused me to be insulin resistant which in turn caused me to gain weight which in turn causes the PCOS......makes sense? lol I completely understand your frustration. The dr. put me on Metformin for 3 years and I hated it!!! Could not lose weight to save my life and not to mention the medicine made feel horrible all the time!!! After spending thousands of dollars on LA Weightloss, Weight Watchers, etc.... with no luck at all!!! I stopped taking the medicine and started MFP and exercise and I can tell a big difference. I have done alot of research and the best way to reverse this is diet and exercise. It works, I promise!! This is the best I have felt in years....Stay positive and simply take baby steps and try eating healthy and exercise. I understand your frustration all too well. Good Luck!!!!
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a MFPer friend who has it, I sent her profile page to you, it'll be in your messages. :smile:
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    I have PCOS... :ohwell:

I hope to get rid of it, if capable....I just started on metformin, which I take at night by it self with 6oz of milk followed by 6oz of water, and since I'm sleeping, I don't feel the cramps...when taking during the day, i would get really bad cramps.
  • cecilsmom
    Options
    I'm dealing with PCOS. Technically PCOS is a liver disease that affects hormones heart and a few other things.
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Be careful with Metformin it causes liver damage. it is technically a diabetic medicine.
  • naomic3
    naomic3 Posts: 2
    Options
    HI! I have had PCOS since I started Depro-provera in college. Being on several other forms of hormonal birth control did not help, and over the last 15 years, I was not able to lose weight (I am just under 5' tall and at my heaviest weighed 168 lbs.)

After having two children in close succession and breast-feeding, I managed to go down to 155 lbs. I began taking Orth-Evera as birth control, which I believe may have helped counter the high progesterone level that is symptomatic of PCOS. My symptoms lessened somewhat, but even after a year at 145 lbs, I only managed to lose 5 lbs more through exercise.

I started Metformin (for insulin resistance) after an endocrine consult; in combination with regular exercise and ongoing estrogen therapy and keeping my food logs, I am down to 130 lbs and borderline-"normal" BMI. I have read the other posts where Metformin did not work for others, but I urge you to talk to an endocrinologist to work on a balance between hormones and insulin-control that will work for you. I still have gastric side effects from the Metformin, even after 5 months, but in conbination with the other steps (above) I feel better, have a more balance appetite, look better and most of my PCOS symptoms are under control.

GOOD LUCK!
  • heyjuede
    heyjuede Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    PCOS here!!!! on metformin as well 1700 mg daily. diagnosed 2006. led to many weight issues and infertility:grumble:
    i was never told it had anything to do with the liver?? hmm... learn something new everyday..:smile:
  • heyjuede
    Options
    metformin takes a while for most people to get used to. 2 wks to a month sometimes. i had a hard time adjusting, but once it stabilized, its like taking vitamins at this point. because of the insulin resistance issue i don't think i would have dropped 30 lbs with just diet and exercise with out the med. i had tried for years!!! with no avail. :explode: although, just the med alone does not work wonders. i don't care what any dr says:noway:

i am so glad to find people with my issue out there. 1-10 women are effected by this and it can start as early as 11 years old or so. i've done a lot of research on it, but i am saddened that there is still no cure for it. i still say i live with it, but i am not defined by it. it does not and will not rule my life. i will treat it, i will fight it, and i will continue to hope to get ahead of this outrageous disorder :drinker:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, the weight gain and loss have both been a pain. I've had it since I was a teen.
    I can handle most of the symptoms but the weight has always been annoying.
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    i have it
    the only time i have trouble with weight gain/loss and appetites and is when my doctor trials me on a new pill
    the one i'm currently is working fine so i think i'll be on it for the rest of my life yay! :sad:

i hate men:angry:
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    I didn't know about the liver damage either...:( I'm on a 500mg a day.

Best Wishes to All! :flowerforyou:
  • Laynee
    Laynee Posts: 45
    Options
    I just started a new thread on this, not knowing this one was here since I just joined within the past week and a half. Anyway, I scrolled down and found this. I have PCOS too and that's one of the reasons I'm trying this. Weight has been a struggle for me all my life and I'm determined to win the battle with God's help and MFP. I just want to encourage you all that we can do this, stay strong, fight the battle and look forward to the day we reach our goals!
  • heyjuede
    Options
    haven't seen much on this lately and wanted to check in on my fellow PCOS'ers. hope you are all doing well and kickn some but!

i am 15 wks pregnant and i passed my glucose challenge a few weeks back with a 94! talk about kick *kitten*! i am staying on metformin throughout the pregnancy to prevent hopefully gestational diabetes.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and took metformin back in the day. When I was first diagnosed I had 25 cysts on my ovaries (13 on one and 12 on the other).

I haven't taken any medications since starting this lifestyle change, and have had absolutely no problem losing this weight, I mean, who can complain about 66lbs in only 5 months?!?!
  • I have it also.
    and IT SUCKS :angry: .

i was diagnosed with it when i was 15 and i'm 18 now, but it was only because of irregular periods. I've been on metformin since i was 15 and birth control for the regular periods. it took a while for it to sink in and for me to get into a routine for taking the meds. but since i've been taking it, i've gained weight, but it wasn't because of the meds, i was just choosing the wrong things to eat. but i'm still on the meds now and i'm doing fine :happy:

just be patient and talk to your doctor about EVERYTHING you do. honestly, my endocrinologist has become like my best friend. i call him about everything that i think may dumb down my meds because i wanna get this crap done and over with. i haven't had an ultrasound since i was diagnosed so i'm not sure how things are going. but hopefully soon they'll be gone. and i'm especially worried about infertility :cry: . i wanna be a mom so bad (when the time comes of course) and if this junk makes me infertile, i won't know what to do. so hopefully this will be in the past soon and i can feel relieved about that little issue.

86322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm too scared to go to a doctor but I strongly suspect that I have PCOS. If I do, is this maybe why my weight loss seems to be very gradual?