Healthy Desert Recipes for Thanksgiving?

Options
xjgirl94
xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
Looking for something healthy that taste amazing to make for Thanksgiving. Any Ideas??

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Pinterest. They have tons.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Pumpkin pie

Yes!

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Look at this one... Just lightened up

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-pumpkin-pie
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It is not "Thanksgiving-y" but one of my favorite desserts is a meringue shell filled with chocolate mascarpone and topped with fresh fruit like strawberries.

Chocolate Mascarpone:

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
    6 tablespoons (3 ounces) mascarpone cheese, softened
    1 teaspoon fat-free milk
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

6 servings, 85 calories each

Merinque shells

2 large egg whites, room temperature
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 cup superfine (caster) white sugar

Makes 6 at 75 calories each or 8 at 56 calories each
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and spices, with an oat streusel type topping. The topping gets crunchy in the oven as it bakes. There are a lot of fattening recipes online for something like this and you just have to modify any of those recipes to cut down the fat and sugar while bumping up the spices for flavor. Sweet potatoes are pretty forgiving for recipe modification. I use some coconut oil rather than butter, and half of what most recipes call for (or less), a reduced amount of sugar (and make sure it's brown for more flavor) and more spices, like not just cinnamon, but allspice and cloves and ginger and nutmeg, too. Then the oat streusel on top (spices in there too!) and bake. super good and even nutritious.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Baked apples.

But I'm having pumpkin pie, apple pie and chocolate pecan pie. Because, one day.
  • xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't like pumpkin tho :(
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't like pumpkin tho :(

Neither do I. Apples and cranberries are great fall fruits to incorporate into your recipes.

• nd4567
    nd4567 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    box of sugar free cake mix (chocolate is my favorite) and a can of pumpkin. mix together and bake according to 9 x 13 pan instructions. tastes great and no need for icing. very moist cake.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For a healthy dessert, I'd probably do something with apples...
    • Fruit salad: Chopped apples, pineapple or mandarin oranges, banana, blueberries (whatever fruit you like), chopped walnuts or pecans, coconut, grated carrot, a little honey and some plain greek yogurt. Just park it in the fridge and let the flavors combine.
    • Baked apples can be nice, but I prefer them warm, so sometimes that can be hard to coordinate if you are cooking for a large crowd.
    • Apples & Cottage Cheese: I tried this recently, and it's really yummy. Cut apples into small chunks. microwave for a minute or two (or bake) until apples are semi-soft. Mix cooked apple into cottage cheese (as much as desired) add cinnamon (apple pie spice is good too), your choice of sweetener (I used cottage cheese with pineapple so I didn't add any sweetener), vanilla, cinnamon, raisins, chopped pecans or walnuts. Put in fridge overnight and eat the next day.

fzq5y2w8a513.jpg

However, since it's just one day, I usually just made a fruit pie (usually pumpkin or apple) and a cream pie (usually chocolate or coconut).
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Prepare a brownie mix (I puree a can of black beans to dry brownie mix) and place in 11X13 baking pan. Bake as directed then let that cool several hours. Top with a package of SF/FF cheesecake instant pudding prepared with 1 1/2 cups of milk. Let that set a few hours then top with a can of SF fruit pie filling (I use cherry) can serve like this or add a layer of cool whip and crumble chocolate graham crackers over the top.

Another option is a dry cake mix and can of pie filling, mix together and bake as directed, may need an extra 5-10 minutes baking time. Apple with a spice or carrot cake is perfect for that fall dessert need.
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    I'm going to try the diet soda cake. You add a can or twelve oz of any flavor diet soda to a cake mix and bake it. No oil eggs or milk added so the cals are just from the cake mix. Spice cake and diet cream soda sounds good and I'm thinking of making that one if I can't find a pumpkin cake mix.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Pie!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of making this.

Cookies and Milk Pie:
    Chocolate+Chip+Cookie+Pie+2.JPG
    http://www.thekitchenismyplayground.com/2013/07/no-bake-chocolate-chip-cookie-pie-made.html

It really depends on whether I am at the place I will be having my Thanksgiving dinner the night before or not. It has milk. It's healthy.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Daigakuimo!! Japanese sweet potato! It's pan fry/steamed sweet potato, slightly crunchy and sweet on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. It's very easy and quick to make too. I follow cooking with dog's instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ParA5-qrc

It is considered a healthy dessert in Japan but I think the flavors can also work well as a side dish for Thanksgiving in the US since our desserts tend to be way sweeter. :P

Here's also a sweet potato boat dessert made by same Chef. I like this one too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZeyu6ftCmI