vegetarian recipe advice

Options
i just got food poisoning and i know i'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but i am giving up meat for a bit. just can't stomach it. anyway, i ate very well today vegetarian style (still eating eggs, cheese; just no meat) anyone have any great recipes they could recommend that are easy for a beginner? :smiley:

(*)

Replies

• monsterbeans
    monsterbeans Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was a child (albeit a very fussy eater) so I've never been good with really 'green' or leafy meals but I have a big library of good meals. This one below is really simple after a long day at work and doesn't need much fuss.

One of my faves is a beany chilli made with chipotle paste (serves 2. I pair it with brown rice/quinoa/polenta/toasted tortillas)
    1 tbsp veg oil
    1/2 white onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    Hot chilli pepper (e.g scotch bonnet) -optional (if your tummy has been playing up might be best to leave this out)
    1 tin Mixed beans in chilli sauce (or beans in plain tomato sauce if its hard to find)
    50g dried soya mince (optional)
    2 tbsp Creme fraiche or plain yoghurt (can be 0% fat)
    2-3 tsps Chipotle chilli paste (can be bulked out with BBQ sauce)
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tsp lime or lemon juice (bottled is fine)
    Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in the pan and add the chipotle sauce
    2. Add the chopped onion, garlic and scotch bonnet and coat with the spicy mixture
    3. Empty the tin of beans into the pan and add the soya mince
    4. Stir through tomato puree
    5. Heat the sauce through so the beans are tender and the mince bulks out
    6. Stir in the creme fraiche
    7. Season to taste with lime/lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove the chilli pepper (if used)

This is just under 400 cals for each serving so space to add rice/salads etc. I sometime chop carrots or other veg into this too.

Hope you feel better soon :)
  • monsterbeans
    monsterbeans Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Or Dal Makhani, again serves 2 (I know the butter seems excessive but this is 500 cals per serving and doesn't necc need rice/naan, it makes a lovely stew by itself depending on your food goals)

40g butter/margarine
    1/2 White onion, chopped
    1 chilli (e.g chopped green, slotted Scotch bonnet) (again, optional!)
    4 Garlic cloves, minced
    75g urid dal (black lentils, soaked overnight)
    1 tin chickpeas (or 1/2 chickpeas, 1/2 kidney beans)
    30g Creme fraiche (1/2 fat or 0% fat)
    50 gTomato puree
    2-3 tsp tikka masala paste
    Chilli sauce (optional)
    1 tsp Ginger
    A pinch of Asafoetida
    Salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil the urid dal with two garlic cloves and the chilli until well cooked (approx 30 mins)
    2. Drain the excess liquid from the lentils and mash them with the back of a spoon. Discard the whole chilli (if used)
    3. In a pan, melt 25g of the butter and add the curry paste, ginger and asafoetida
    4. Add the onion and garlic and sautee
    5. Add the tomato puree and mashed lentils to the pan and bring the mixture to the boil
    6. Lower to a simmer and add the remaining butter and the creme fraiche
    7. Simmer for 15-30 mins
    8. Add chilli sauce, salt and pepper to taste
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Huevos Rancheros. Eggs pan fried(leave the yolk as runny as you like) with side of black beans, salsa, cheddar on top, plain greek yogurt (faux sour cream). To bulk it up I put all of that on bed of romaine.

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Just remove the meat from all of your favorite recipes or substitute it with lentils or beans. Google and pinterest :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    <3