nike + ipod

Options
hey!! I was just wondering if anyone uses the nike + ipod? I just got an Ipod touch and was considering getting the nike + for it.... Does anyone know how difficult it is to figure out and if its pretty accurate on timing distance ran? thanks :)

Replies

• tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    It's super easy to use. The calories probably aren't super accurate. Mostly because there's no heart rate monitor. But it can be fairly accurate once you calibrate it. Not perfect, but close enough for very good encouragement.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Its not bad for what it does... it's not 100% accurate though.. I ran a half marathon this morning (13.1 miles) and it reported it as 13.99 miles. So not as accurate as GPS, but not too bad either. It does offer you feedback which is nice.

For the price, it's not bad... the alternatives can get expensive (i.e. my Garmin GPS watch is approx. $200)

I use it with some podcasts for training purposes. (Get Fit Podcast. and I know of Couch to 5K podcasts as well)

Good Luck!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    It's easy to set up and use the online account. Do not calibrate it on the treadmill. As far as accuracy - it's probably within 1/4 of a mile when I use it. I enjoy using it.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I love my nike +. I got tired of bring my phone on my run for my gps. To bulky. The hubby got me an Ipod and I got the nike + with my nike frees. I love the nike frees btw. If you have the newest generation of the ipod, I would buy the tracker that goes in your shoe online. I got my nike + at olympia sports and I paid 30.00 for it. It comes with this thing that plugs in but the newer ipods do not need the plug in. It works wirelessly. You can just get the insert for your shoe and nike website for 15.00 or so. If you get it feel free to add me. My name is the same on my nike + jbrown0210
  • cherie01
    cherie01 Posts: 16
    Options
    thanks everyone!! It is not a big deal if its not super accurate....It sounds perfect for me....I am only running 2-3 miles about 4 or 5 times a week. ....but want to increase miles.
  • cherie01
    Options
    oh 1 more question...I read some reviews that the battery dies pretty fast....how do you replace it...do you have to order a new one or do they sell them in stores?
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    i use the Nike+ "Sportband" and the POLAR HRM Nike+ wearlink transmitter
    This set up records PACE, TIME, DISTANCE, HEART RATE, CHRON (workout duration) in other words everything except the GPS.

Nike does have a really fun ($1.99 in iTunes Store) "Nike GPS" iPhone app for runners which doesn't require Nike shoes or sensors or anything and links data to the same Nike+ site...but if you use both on the same run it will clock them as two separate runs... it's actually a little less flakey then RunKeeper has been lately and has some great bonus perks- famous sports figures and esp. my favorite motivational coaching from Tracy Morgan - such as
    "WOW! You're AMAZING! You just ran 5 MILES... ...and if YOU can do it... I know I CAN DO IT!

However, if you just want GPS and you have an iPhone - try RunKeeper Pro (free at iTunes store and it also works for any activity- walking, cycling, skating etc like I said mostly been rock solid but lately has been acting a bit buggy...hopefully will be fixed again soon...it is frequently updated.

I use NIKE+ to map all my data and heart rate for my Runs to the Nike + site
    I use RunKeeper Pro to map those same runs to RunKeeper site
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ooh! I love Tracy Morgan's "inspirational" messages! I'm sad if he doesn't say anything after a run! I've had nike+ since day 1. Literally. I totally recommend it. As others said, make sure you calibrate it (like do .25 on a school track. That way you know the distance is correct.) I love how it keeps track of runs and with the gps app (which doesn't work with the touch, unfortunately) you get a map of your run. $1.99 is way cheaper than $200+ for garmin watches! Best thing is, you get to create playlists that you can play along with the nike+ instead of having 2 separate devices (ie. ipod and garmin).

I'm maccabeth on there, too. Anyone feel free to add me! Someone was doing MFP challenges for a while. I haven't checked to see if there is one this month, though.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh, and about the battery. You can't replace it. But it lasts about 1000 hours of running. For me that was about a year and half. Then you just buy another. Your nike+ account stays the same but you'll have to re-link your new sensor to the ipod.
  • cherie01
    Options
    well it will be along time before I reach 1000 hours.,...lol......I have a pair of nike running shoes that I love to run in....but unfortunetly they dont have the nike plus on them...so I guess I need a pair that does.
  • AmyS618
    AmyS618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was just researching this. You don't need the special Nike shoes--you just buy a special little pouch for the sensor that attaches to your laces.