Kids are out of school strategies

Options
I'm realizing that the upcoming holi'day' isn't the challenge since I plan to just enjoy Thanksgiving, it's one day, and that will be that etc. But....the kids are out of school for a whole week and that's going to majorly mess with my eating/exercising routine for a whole week. Any other parents out there in the same boat? Any veteran strategies? It's like being on vacation but staying at home. For example, I walk my kid back and forth to school every week day which helps greatly with my step count. I'm worried we won't be home to make my simple salad for lunch etc.

Replies

• penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How old are they? Can't they still take walks with you?

Pack snacks so you aren't tempted to eat out, or get something healthy. I don't know your climate, but it's really cold where I live so to stay active we can go swimming indoors, I can take them to the gym daycare. Or we can go sledding, build a snowman, trudge through the snow (burns a lot of calories!).

I'm more worried about my kids making my crazy then making me gain weight lol.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My kids are 2 and 3 - their daycare is closed. I teach high school and have a week off. I am just hoping for clear weather so we can walk. They also like doing some fitness DVD's with me. It will be an adventure!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You make the kids healthy meals and calorie count yours ...are you really only ever eating salad for lunch?

You take them out for rambles and games

• msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I always work out before my kids are up. My alarm is set for 450 7 days a week. Would getting up early be an option?
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    We're coming up to our Summer holidays here, I just keep on going like usual - up at 5am to get my main workout in. Then I make sure they're in the pool everyday, which means I can do laps while they try to distract me lol

In our winter holidays, I did the same except swapped the swimming out for whatever sounded good on the day - walks, bike rides, workout dvds, bodyweight intervals (the kids really like those lol)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    How old are they? Walk to school anyway, but take them with. Play on the playground for a bit and walk home. I have a really hard time when everyone is home too. I'm such a creature of habit that I totally forget to have my salad for lunch (which I love, but can't seem to pull off at home??). Maybe we need to make the salad the night before so it's there and ready the next day. I sometimes plan my lap swimming when there is open swim for my daughter. Not as many lanes open, but most of the serious swimmers prefer the early morning, so it works. Workout DVDs with them is a great idea. They'll do it with you for a while. If they get bored, you're already well into it and can take it to the end.

Lots of good ideas from the others!! :)
  • eaviram
    Options
    Thanks guys. Lots of good ideas. He's 7 so kind of independent but not really. I think I'll be trying to squeeze in workouts when I can and do active things with him otherwise. We're in Southern California so I can't use the weather an an excuse :). At 1200 calories and liking sit down home made dinners I have to eat very clean for breakfast and lunch so salads do the trick. I think it's the lack of routine for these school holidays that make them a challenge but it's only a week!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't change much for me. I'm a SAHM. But my gym has baby sitting (which is the reason I joined frankly), and I go at least 4x a week, with or without kids. The rest of the time, frankly I don't feel that I have to entertain them all the time, so we're home a lot, and I can take 30 minutes to do some workout as well (my kids are 6, so I'm assuming that at 7 you can let him play for a bit by himself while you do it). Otherwise, you can still walk to school to let him play on the playground for a bit (assuming it's possible), or go for walks with him or something. Sure, I might take them out for lunch occasionally, but otherwise we're home for meals.
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I live in SoCal too. When my kids are at home, we make mommy and kids play dates. Basically, I plan on walking my kids to the park, and as they play, I'm running laps around the playground area (so I always have my eyes on them. We also have a bike trail that leads to the beach. So my 2 older girls bike and I jog (slowly). I have a 5 year old raiding with training wheels, so he's a bit slow. We either end up at the beach or another park. It's fun exercise and it's free. As to lunch, eat a healthy lunch with your kids. No reason to eat out. My kids prefer homemade food anyways since it's way fresher, tastier, and a whole lot healthier.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yay Socal! YAY vacay! Yay Mommies!

There are some cool museums and other walky places in different parts of California.

Maybe you can make that part of your workouts and get most of your steps in that way and then have only like a half hour of your workout left to do when the kids are asleep?

Packing for outings kind of preplans and limits what you are going to eat as well. That might help make sticking with your diet easier?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sorry can't help myself...

belt-buckles-socal-1004x350.jpg

we are lucky our weather lets us get out of the house to show these kids a good time. that should add up to lots of cal burn. and most socal places that are destinations have good healthy options for food even if you aren't packing lunch. hope you have a great time with your family while they are home!
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @mychocolatedier -- I LOVE WHERE WE LIVE!!!! That being said, when we go to places like the zoo or Legoland, my kids pack their own lunches/snacks..and I pack mine too. Gives me a chance to have good heathy eating habits discussions with them. I don't want them to go through what I'm going through when they get older.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old home as well. We dance! Push that coffee table out the way plug the phone into the tv and turn on kids bop or whatever. She will dance for hours. Its fun! I also use her as a free weight. We do "airplane" and I push up and down lol. Or I have her go sideways and bench press her laying on the floor. She laughs the whole time and I get some exercise. Win win.