Missing the UK

Options
johnmurphymfp
johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
My first duty station was in England ~ YEARS ago. I loved the country, the history, the people it was a great two years in my life.

My UK friends, please help me out. What are your favorite TV programs... I'm in need of a British TV fix.

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm not from the UK, but recently found myself watching Coupling again. Such a funny show. The first season is the best AND it's on Netflix.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I like "Have I Got News for You". Not a series but a hilarious game show formatted current events program where the contestants are comedians and journalists.
  • dogrescuefan
    Options
    I love Mrs Browns Boys if you like comedy and aren't afraid of a little bad language. New Tricks (police drama) is also quite good, If you are looking on DVD I can also recommend Death in Paradise (all 3 series, crime/police drama). Holby City (medical drama).
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the UK, but I think Sherlock's a great BBC show
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like waking the dead and silent witness. Bloodthirsty I am!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    mjgowan1 wrote: »
    I love Mrs Browns Boys if you like comedy and aren't afraid of a little bad language. New Tricks (police drama) is also quite good, If you are looking on DVD I can also recommend Death in Paradise (all 3 series, crime/police drama). Holby City (medical drama).

Casualty is way better than Holby City ;)
    I second Sherlock if you haven't seen it, as well as Merlin and obviously Doctor Who. Call the Midwife is very good if you enjoy British history.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    24 hours in a & e. Must watch. I LOVE it. Casualty is always good (no to holby city very snoozefest), Cuckoo, Russell Howard's good news (you can actually watch the latest episodes on youtube for free), The Graham Norton show, I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!, Gogglebox.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mjgowan1 wrote: »
    Mrs browns boys is an irish show rather than a British show. Hate it but in the minority in Ireland on that one.

• darktolight
    Options
    waterloo road
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Miranda is a good laugh also. Mrs Browns boys is Northern Irish hence a British show also.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Shameless!!! (although not on anymore :\ )
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    IT Crowd!
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    skins, misfits, hollyoaks, mrs browns boys, miranda, the great british bake off ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What sort of progs do you like?

Sherlock is mostly excellent and a cut above.
    Broadchurch a detective mystery set in a seaside town, currently been remade stateside into Gracepoint.
    Educating Yorkshire a reality TV series set in a state school. Award winning.
    The Fall- a thriller set in N Ireland. Gillian Anderson .
    Last Tango in Halifax- gentle romantic drama comedy with older people.
    Happy valley a police drama with drama and a bit of a difference.
    Luther- more police drama- very highly rated.
    Line of Duty- very highly regarded and gripping police drama involving corruption.
    Great British bake off is very popular.
    Downton if you like all that above and below stairs melodrama.
    Blackadder if you want comedy, still stand up well.
    The original version of the Office with Ricky Gervais cant fail to make you laugh.
    Peaky Blinders- gangsters in 1920s Birmingham.
    Morse ofc if you were in Oxford.

All of the above are award winning.

Or you could just get a VPN and access BBC iplayer and ITV player plus 4OD.