Fat loss

Options
Hi, I've been dieting/working out for about 10 months now and have been generally successful, losing around 30 pounds and gaining a significant amount of muscle and lowering my %fat to almost half of what it used to be. However it seems like this last stretch to lose more of my excess body fat has been taken exponentially longer than any other part of the process. During the first months I had a very low calorie diet, about 1200 calories a day, and I went up a bit from that when I started lifting weights. In an attempt to lose the remaining fat, mostly around my thighs and chest, I tried to go back to the 1200 calories a day, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Could anyone give me some tips on how to get rid of these last bits of fat? Tips on both diet or exercise are greatly appreciated.

I am 5'7" 1/2
140 pounds

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Don't go back down to 1200. At this point you only want to be losing .5 a week right? It's just slow when you get close to goal. The deficit shouldn't be as large and there is less room for error. Keep up the weight training.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tweaking your macros? Maybe adding a little more protein and reducing simple carbs (white bread, pasta, etc.)? Maybe a little more healthy fat and fiber?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Go to iifym calculator and enter your stats honestly. Then I second the slowly play with macros. I find too high protein causes ME to stall. Perhaps you need to rethink your intake ?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    1) Start lifting heavy if you aren't already. There is no point in a 1200 calorie diet if you are lifting heavy though and there is little point in lifting heavy on a 1200 calorie diet. 2) Tweak your macros (^^^ i'm opposite--i do better with more protein).

You seem like you are at an optimal weight for your height. Are you skinny-fat? If so, I really think lifting heavy will help. You say you are lifting weights. What is your routine? It seems like a bulk and cut might even help. I am big into recomp and have lost 9-10% BF in the last year while on maintenance calories, but no one believes me that's a real thing (recomp at maintenance), so I'm not even going to go there except to say I followed a protocol called Eat to Perform that focuses on macros and carb timing.
  • taelas
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Have you tried tweaking your macros? Maybe adding a little more protein and reducing simple carbs (white bread, pasta, etc.)? Maybe a little more healthy fat and fiber?

yeah, I've been eating 100% whole grains for my carbs, and cut back significantly on carbs, but whenever I cut back too much I have not energy to exercise. I've stopped eating white rice, refined pasta's and most other things like that.

Could you give any examples of a healthy fat?
    1) Start lifting heavy if you aren't already. There is no point in a 1200 calorie diet if you are lifting heavy though and there is little point in lifting heavy on a 1200 calorie diet. 2) Tweak your macros (^^^ i'm opposite--i do better with more protein).

You seem like you are at an optimal weight for your height. Are you skinny-fat? If so, I really think lifting heavy will help. You say you are lifting weights. What is your routine? It seems like a bulk and cut might even help. I am big into recomp and have lost 9-10% BF in the last year while on maintenance calories, but no one believes me that's a real thing (recomp at maintenance), so I'm not even going to go there except to say I followed a protocol called Eat to Perform that focuses on macros and carb timing.
    hm, alright.

I'm not sure what you mean by "skinny-fat" But I'm fairly lean around my mid section and arms, but have more fat around my thighs and some at my chest. My body fat % is around 13 or 14% the last time I checked but I'll check again tomorrow.

My general weight routine consists of:
    Bench Press (bar is 45 or 60):
    3 sets of 10 w/ x2 45 lbs.
    3 sets of 10 w/ x2 37.5 lbs.

Dips & hanging leg Raises: 12 reps each, 3 sets

Seated Ab Rotation: 125 lbs 12 reps each side, 2 sets (Might stop since it's supposed to be bad for your spine)

Pullups: 20 reps, 2 sets

Standing ab rotation w/ pulley, 12 reps each side, 3 sets.

Incline bench press w/ dumbbells: 35 lbs per hand, 12 reps, 3 sets.

Cardio, treadmill: 9 mph 2 mile avg. (appx. 14 min)

On alternate "cardio" days I do:

Cardio, treamill: 9 mph 4-5 mile avg. (appx. 35 min)

Leg Press: 270 lbs, 15 reps, 3 sets.

Standing Calf Extension: 170 lbs, 12, 3 sets.

Pull Ups: 20 reps, 2 sets.
    missdibs1 wrote: »
    Go to iifym calculator and enter your stats honestly. Then I second the slowly play with macros. I find too high protein causes ME to stall. Perhaps you need to rethink your intake ?
    Ok, I'll see what I can find out from the calculator. Thanks.
    arditarose wrote: »
    Don't go back down to 1200. At this point you only want to be losing .5 a week right? It's just slow when you get close to goal. The deficit shouldn't be as large and there is less room for error. Keep up the weight training.

Alright, thanks :)