What is it like losing weight?

Options
I started at 245 and am now 214 (yay) but am still pretty high up there. My question is anyone who has lost a bit of weight.. Whats it like walking around without the fat? Do you feel quicker? Happier? When did you notice the weight really come off (as in when did you notice the fat disappering?)

I guess I just need some motivation so I don't go get a burger and instead make something at home for dinner

Replies

• superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started at 260 and I am now 235. Even with only a 25 lb loss, I FEEL lighter. I feel like I can breathe better. My legs are skinnier. My clothes fit better. I try to focus on those little things because they definitely keep me motivated!!! You have lost a good amount of weight, keep up the great work!!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hi. You can see a post I made recently that addresses some of my thoughts on this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/227589-a-b-tchy-rant-not-for-the-easily-offended-cuz-i-might-be

I've lost a lot, still have more to lose... but . . . well... while it's WORTH it, it doesn't change some things like you think it might.

I don't have all the fat, but I still see it in the mirror.

Clothes fit better, the sizes are dramatically smaller, but I don't necessarily feel it every minute of every day.

I'm no happier, but no sadder.

I'm MORE self conscious now then I was before.

I can breathe easier, move better, can do things with my body I couldn't dream of before.

So - it's... different. Worth it. But it didn't change a lot in my life. I've had to work to change all the rest. . . and I have.

I feel confident I'm healthier. My labwork and reduced meds proves that. And I'd do it all again. But... it wasn't exactly what I expected.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Feels good!!
    Sitting without having rolls is great
    Fitting into tiny clothes is great
    My husband telling me im too skinny sounds great
    I saw a difference after 6 months...
    Im very quick cuz ive ran a lot ...

Keep going never give up
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am at a loss of 123lbs and it is amazing. To be able to run around with my children and not be out of breath or hurting is an amazing thing. Physically I feel great but mentally I'm still a fat girl, I have to remind myself that yes I can fit on that or sit there without breaking it. (I've been told by my fellow MFP friends that my mental image will adjust as time passes)
    You stay strong and you will get here too!!
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say it was the most awesome thing ever, but in my case that isn't always true. I still FEEL like I did at my heaviest (264 lbs). I am now at 150, but my eyes can't always see the change... it happens so slowly :) I have a friend who has lost as much as I have and she had a great experience... but she was never aware of how large she was when she started, so she seems to have none of the body image issues. My point is to work on the body image part the whole way... don't assume it will feel any certain way and talk to people who will listen and not just say "but you are looking so good"... learn to see that in yourself!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    LowCarbAmanda Posts: 129
    Options
    I have been losing since September, but I only now FEEL like I'm smaller. I was seated in the movie theatre the other day, when I realized I'd placed my purse BESIDE me on the seat! 8 months ago that sure wasn't happening. Then, I came out of the washroom stall and saw my reflection, and didn't recognize it! That's after 60 lbs gone. You can see my month by month progress in my photos. I know I was losing all along, but this last month was the biggest change for sure. I finally have a smaller double chin! LOL!
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    I don't have to take 2 Pepcid AC's a day anymore....and haven't for months :) I used to have the WORST heartburn all day, everyday.
    I can run 2 miles without stopping, and before I couldn't do even 1/4 of a mile.
    I have WAY more energy to play outside with my boys.
    I've had to buy new pants for work twice, and i'm pretty close to needing a newer (smaller) pair!!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I started at 245 and am now 214 (yay) but am still pretty high up there. My question is anyone who has lost a bit of weight.. Whats it like walking around without the fat? Do you feel quicker? Happier? When did you notice the weight really come off (as in when did you notice the fat disappering?)

I guess I just need some motivation so I don't go get a burger and instead make something at home for dinner

I weighed 295 and am 198 now. Yes. I am lighter and happier. I've learned to appreciate the little changes as they happen which is huge. You have to celebrate the little victories that will get you to the big goal. I have 50-60 lbs to go. I don't focus on that. Just the little victories.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I noticed it when I could fit through smaller spaces - I can squeeze behind chairs in my tiny dining room now. Also, seeing my silhouette in a store window - my brain didn't catch up with my weight loss at first; I would see me and think it was someone else!

The best part though was that I am much more comfortable in the summer than when I was heavier. I don't get overheated anymore, and I don't sweat and chafe in my folds anymore because they're gone. :)

You've lost quite a lot of weight, great job! You're almost halfway to your goal, that is really awesome.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    For the most part I'm very happy :) I can run, skip, get up off the floor without major incident lol

There is the mental aspect to it & even sometimes I think I still look like I'm 320 pounds. Those images are not as frequent anymore though! I will never forget where I came from.

The love I feel for myself is from the journey not the weight. I never knew I was this strong of a person!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    First! Cute cute baby!

I use to jump in the jeep and try to avoid hitting the steering wheel with my belly. Now days it is just fun to jump in the thing. It makes me feel thin with several inches between my belly and the wheel. Oh I still have a long ways to go.

It's fun shopping in your closet. Didn't realize I had so many tees, pants, shirts etc.

It's also nice to fit into a booth at the restaurant or a ride a the park.

Then it's nice to do dishes with out your back hurting because you spend so much time reaching to get the dishes.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Sounds like you are just havin "one of those days" - we all have had them! :frown:
    I was 240 last October...now 215. It has been slow and steady - which is how I want it. Too many try/success in the past only to regain! I'm in this for the long run - it's a marathon, not a sprint. While I can't tell you how it feels to be "skinny" - I can tell you how different my cloths fit, how much more energy I have, how my knees don't scream when I walk too long or walk down a few stairs!
    You have noticed some differences too - You've had a good amt of wt loss - your cloths can't fit the same at all!
    I also know our "heavy" minds will take a long time to catch up if it ever does - sometimes it takes focusing on the size of cloths we're in to show ourselves that we are "getting there". :noway:
    Hang in there - it's about your health and well being more than the weight! :flowerforyou:
  • r99samigrl
    r99samigrl Posts: 25
    Options
    Sometimes our minds play tricks on us. I have lost 25+lbs and gone from a 12 to a 2. But when I look in the mirror, I still see a 12. But I feel so much better physically, have more energy, and notice men checking me out more than ever before. These things remind me of all the hard work and I would do it all again. Hopefully, the mind will catch up with the body eventually!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds so far and have only started to feel thinner within the last week or so. I have noticed my reflection in the mirror, and can actually see the results. I am noticing that exercising is getting much easier -- and there wasn't so much "jiggling" during my morning Zumba routine.

I have quite a ways to go yet, so I have decided to be happy regarless of my weight. My weight is just one factor in my life, and I'm working on it. And I'm actuallly enjoying my weight loss journey this time -- due in part to my MFP pals.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    Interesting question and responses. I was normal size until my early 40's, so I still don't exactly see myself as obese until I see a photograph, or look in the mirror critically. (Likewise, in my mind I'm still in my 20's.) As the weight comes off, I see the mirror and the clothing starting to look more the way they "should".
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started at 224, and now am at 189. I have gotten a lot of comments, which keeps me motivated, but I don't notice too much when I look in the mirror because I see myself every day. What I have noticed is that I got to get rid of some outfits. And for the first time in a long time, I enjoy going to my closet in the morning, because I can CHOOSE what I will wear that day rather than just grabbing from the very small section of "stuff that I know will fit". I didn't realize that I didn't like to get dressed anymore, until I woke up looking forward to the part where I go to my closet to decide what to wear. I found a consignment store where I live that carries a size 10 up to a 5x.... so I'm bringing my clothes there, and getting to recycle and bring home stuff that will fit better. That is fun. Keep on going.... you can do it!!!!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal weight yet. But a couple months ago I was wearing a skirt that was too large for me and had fallen to my hips (by this I knew i'd lost weight, I just couldn't SEE it yet) and a tight fitting sweater. I walked by a mirror and had to do a double take. I had the beginnings of abdominal muscles! Never in my life have I had those before! I actually looked kind of hot. It was a nice feeling.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    HARD. Just plain hard.
  • nebraskadan
    nebraskadan Posts: 25
    Options
    I started at 365 lbs. and I'm now 297. I play alot of football, and I definately feel wayyyyy quicker. I figure it's like strapping a 70 lb. weight to your gut and trying to run. Obviously, it would slow you down.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Well, it certainly did not solve ALL of my problems, but it feels very good to be in the place I am now.

Sometimes I feel worse about my body than I did before, but in reality I know its only because I'm more critical and expect more from myself.

I feel better - I have more energy and generally more fun. I feel like I'm naturally more active and my husband and I are more likely to get up and go do things, get out of the house and up and moving more often.

I do my hair and make-up more and love shopping for clothes more to the extent women generally do. Mainly because its more fun because I look better in clothes and fit easier into things. So its more fun to get up, get dressed up and go out.

I enjoy food more. Maybe its cuz its not all crap or because I'm not inhaling it, or maybe its because I'm not subconsciously worried about what its doing to my body and how fat it will make me because I know exactly where I stand calorie-wise.

Its worth it. I feel stronger and more confident in my abilities. I'm more coordinated and in general feel MUCH better.