Sidelined by plantar fasciitis:(

Options
Any tips on helping to heal this heel pain? (I couldn't resist) I have been out of commission for almost a week. My heel pain tends to flare up in the same foot a few times a year, but I feel like it's taking a lot longer to recover this time. And I'm three weeks out from my first half marathon.
The actual stressor was from working on my feet in flat shoes all last weekend. I bought inserts once the pain started which I have worn with all shoes, but I'm scared to hit the pavement too soon and re-injure or increase the amount of time I'm out.

I also just bought new running shoes that i haven't tried out. i'm now nervous about transitioning to new shoes so close to the race and risking injuring myself further. Any tips are appreciated. So far, I've tried stretching on a foam roller (ouch), ice, and tylenol for the pain. It seems to come and go. Worse first thing in the morning and middle of the night.

Replies

• jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathize... PF took me out of any kind of walking or jogging for 4 months. :( The worst thing you can do it try to get back into running too soon. Walk before you run, for sure. Stretching my feet all throughout the day helped tremendously. Getting the correct inserts was also pivotal. But for me, sadly time was the key factor. Check out youtube for some good stretches and do them A LOT.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PF was a pain in the heel.

I had to change up my running shoes from the fitted and specially designed Brooks shoes, to vibram five fingers. Do some coached sessions to change my running gait. Then let it heal.

Haven't had it come back in years. Just had to change shoes and gait. Nothing big.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Stretch once to twice a day, it will help. I deal with it on and off and it seems to get worse when I neglect stretching the area. I'm not sure how much foam rolling will help, but it couldn't hurt; you may want to try a Lacrosse Ball instead.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you're able, I'd suggest seeing a Podiatrist. I'm not sure what type of inserts you're wearing but the store bought kind never did me any justice - neither did the kind from fleet feet. My podiatrist had me get fitted for custom orthotics and it has worked wonders. Some podiatrists even have a 100% money back guarantee! For someone who runs as much as you, should invest in a quality product. Your feet, knees and back will thank you later!
  • MYLOV
    MYLOV Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also have to recommend stretching as often as possible. Use a foam roller (or massage) on not just the foot but also the calf and even quad/hamstring on the same leg.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    100% agree on seeing a podiatrist. Find one who specializes in sports medicine, get the right inserts and proper diagnosis of your issue.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    My case was mild, and I don't run. I second the advice to see a podiatrist, but in the meantime I can tell you what my podiatrist did with me.

I was given off the shelf arch supports and told to stretch my calves. The stretch consisted of standing on a slanted plank with toes raised for a few minutes several times a day. I set this up with a cutting board, with the front edge resting on a two inch thick phone book. I had stretch stations in front of the bathroom mirror (for brushing teeth), and other strategic spots around the house (for example for doing food prep). My symptoms disappeared in a few weeks.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and went to a sports doctor he recommend
    the Strassburg socks
    http://www.amazon.com/Strassburg-Sock-Regular-Size-Around/dp/B001AW3O00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416664035&sr=8-1&keywords=strassburg+sock

I wore it at night awhile i slept and within a week i could run again. I still wear it once a week just to be safe. I also got fitted for better running shoes.
  • Rodman72
    Options
    I've been dealing with PF on and off for the last 10 years. I had been running a few marathons back then and had gained a bit of weight between a few. I started up my miles from where I left off, which was the real problem.

From everything I've read throughout the years, PF is caused by 1) adding to much mileage too quickly. 2) Excessive weight adding undue stress. 3) Lack of stretching. 4) incorrect stride.

In my case, I was doing all 4 of the above at the same time. I started wearing Strassburg socks at night, Feeture socks specifically for PF, got some orthotics and correct shoes for my over pronating.

I would highly recommend the Strassburg socks. It takes a while to get used to them but worth it in the long run. Use an old pair of shoe inserts in them to help distribute the stress away from your toes. Once you think it's gone, I would resist the urge to start up full speed again.

I'm no Dr., so definately see a Sports Medicine based podiatrist. Good luck!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Obviously different experiences on this, but for me seeing the podiatrist was no help at all. Orthotics did not help me; never felt right and the concept makes no sense to me - the foot is supposed to act like a spring; the way orthotics work is to hold up the moving part of the spring so it doesn't spring. They also did a steroid shot, which was like magic for two weeks when the pain came right back - and I later learned increases the risk of completely rupturing the fascia.

What did help me:
    1) stretching, especially calves but really everything from the foot itself all the way up to the lower back
    2) strassburg socks at night (don't cinch them down tight; you don't need extreme flex, just enough to keep you out of an extension position
    3) continuing to run, albeit lower volume and lower intensity
    4) icing
    5) massage with Rubz ball (keep it in the freezer).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you haven't seen a podiatrist yet, you should. they will be able to explain what is going on, and how to fix it.

however, i finnally "cured" mine by wearing very minimalist shoes. low heel, but with arch support. really helps stretch your foot out.
  • eddieoak
    eddieoak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    only cure for me was a long rest. It was definitely the shoes I was running in. I ignored the pain and kept running, bad mistake. Take time off, Cycle if u must, change shoes. Canned goods frozen and rub your feet across in a rolling motion. It will help reduce pain. Keep running and you will be down for a long period. It took almost a year for me to heal completely, which meant no running at all, it was dissappointing, but necessary! Hope it helps!
  • runningwiththewind
    Options
    I have suffered with PF. And I love to share how I keep mine under control. In fact I haven't had it for several years. I finally went to my chiropractor who does a.r.t (active release treatment) the best thing I ever did. This is painful and I even would have bruises on my feet after the treatments but they worked. Honestly, could not believe the difference. I love to run and have ran many marathons and this is how I get through them. I even sent my friend recently to have the treatment. She could hardly walk because she was in so much pain and she is now walking with no pain. Since I'm not always able to go to my chiropractor I started having my husband work on my feet and had him push with the his knuckles into where my foot hurt and move around until I can't tolerate the pain. Its like the deep pressing into the heel breaks down the scar tissue. This is extremely painful but works wonders and cheaper then the chiropractor.
  • katieobrienps300
    Options
    Girl, ya better get a "sleep sock''. It helped me in a couple nights!