Gaining weight? Pics and open diary.

Options
austinsneeze
austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been gaining weight the past couple weeks, but I don' t know why. I've had a couple slip ups, but I don't think it's enough to make me gain.

e4ava566lsug.png

I've gained 3 lbs. It's probably not enough to obsess over, but I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.

Replies

• austinsneeze
    Options
    bump:) too much spam haha
  • RhapsodyInC
    RhapsodyInC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but looking at your graph, if you imagine averaging the days out then it looks like every day would be slightly over your Kcal goal. This will slowly increase your weight. Looking at your food diary, when you have too much of something it is usually sugar, sometimes fat or carbs. This might also be part of the problem. Maybe try snacking on high protein/fiber things. Like roast chicken or veg sticks with low-fat hummus?
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    what are your stats? Height, weight? Do you do sports? How much do you move during the day?

Generally speaking though, 3lbs is nothing. Could be TOM, could be you need to go to the toilet, could be you had a massive workout the day before and retain water, could be you had a lot of sodium the day before and retain water..... you get the gist
  • 89nunu
    Options
    Also do I see some days that you had less than 1000 calories???
    why? If that is really your net than that might be the reason you get so hungry that yu eat over 3000 a couple of days later!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It appears you are exceeding your goal quite frequently. When you add to that errors in estimating food calories and over counting activity calories, that results in weight gain.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    If you share your height, weight, age and activity level, folks could runs numbers and give you some detailed feedback, but I'm guessing it's going to net out to "you're eating more than you're burning", i.e., calories in are greater than calories out => weight gain.
  • 89nunu
    Options
    I'm not an expert but looking at your graph, if you imagine averaging the days out then it looks like every day would be slightly over your Kcal goal. This will slowly increase your weight. Looking at your food diary, when you have too much of something it is usually sugar, sometimes fat or carbs. This might also be part of the problem. Maybe try snacking on high protein/fiber things. Like roast chicken or veg sticks with low-fat hummus?

If you even it out she would be slightly over her calorie goal but guessing she is on losing 1lb a week t would probs still be under her maintenance or just on.

How fast did this increase in weight come? fro one day to the next? Or did in increase slowly?
  • austinsneeze
    Options
    I'm 5'4'', I weigh 145 yesterday, but I was 142 a week and a half ago. I've been drinking plenty of water.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Your graph looks pretty good to me. It doesn't look like your "off" days are enough to cause weight gain, since your "on" days seem to have quite a good deficit - depending on your height and weight that is.

Are you weighing and measuring your food or just guesstimating? That could make it seem like you are taking in fewer calories than you really are and it would make your graph totally inaccurate.

When I got my food scale I discovered there was a significant difference between what I thought I was eating and what I actually was. Also, could you be overestimating calorie burns from workouts? Just a thought... :)
  • austinsneeze
    Options
    I need 1800 to maintain, but I ride my bike everywhere and walk around the city since it's a small town. So I'm not totally inactive, but I don't workout (I hate working out).
  • austinsneeze
    Options
    I try to measure everything out. I also scan everything, so I don't think I'm inaccurate.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, you're eating a lot of processed foods, and this will make you retain water. How are you measuring your intake? Food scale?
  • austinsneeze
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First, you're eating a lot of processed foods, and this will make you retain water. How are you measuring your intake? Food scale?

Measuring cups, or it is already pre-portioned
  • austinsneeze
    Options
    89nunu wrote: »

If you even it out she would be slightly over her calorie goal but guessing she is on losing 1lb a week t would probs still be under her maintenance or just on.

How fast did this increase in weight come? fro one day to the next? Or did in increase slowly?
    89nunu wrote: »

It was over a few nights, probably a three or four day span
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Measuring cups, or it is already pre-portioned

I would definitely invest in a food scale (15$ Walmart), as this will make a huge difference. With so little left to lose, logging becomes crucial. Even prepackaged food needs to be weighed. You have turkey leg 4 ounces, you can't possibly know that unless you weigh it. Additionally, it appears during the week you do well, then you go over by 1000 calories on a weekend day. That in addition to the fact that you're not really sure if your calculations during the week are correct, will toast all your hard work.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you have the app you can get average calories eaten over the last week and how many excess / over and it moves each day so you can keep a track of whether you're in the weekly zone for that week

But it means nothing if the info is in is garbage and I'm afraid if you're estimating by using cups the info in is inaccurate ..you need to weigh to get true calorie counts

That said water fluctuations can easily mask true weight
  • austinsneeze
    Options
    Weighing is fine, but it is so inconvenient. For me, this is a lifestyle, not a diet. I don't want to spend the rest of my life weighing food :) Haha
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Weighing is fine, but it is so inconvenient. For me, this is a lifestyle, not a diet. I don't want to spend the rest of my life weighing food :) Haha

Measuring is not accurate for solid foods. I don't see the difference between measuring out your food the rest of your life or weighing it if you're talking about lifestyle. A lot of people do it. If you find you are still gaining you might have to bite the bullet and get a scale. Inconvenience or not.

The problem being that you are consuming more than you are able to burn, those calories could very well be coming from your measured foods because it is an inaccurate amount of calories.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Are you up a few pounds because of TOM, maybe? Your high calorie days are really high but not enough to put on real weight. Are you eating 1200 calories? Maybe it isn't enough for you and would help you to not go overboard on some days.