Protein

Options
My neighbor has asked me if too much protein can cause weight gain. I really dont have a definite answer to give her. Im guessing that there may be instances that protein levels are so high that it may cause a gain but if one is working out, is that possible?? Any info on this would be great!!! Thanks!!!

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Protein doesnt cause weight gain... too many calories do.
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    well she is worried because when she fills in her diary her protein is always way over....

Thanks tho, I will refer her to this post!!!
  • khemikalhardkore
    Options
    Firstly, I own a supplements store, and have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of industry people. And if you buy cheap protein like wal-mart & Costco protein you have be extremely careful. Check the label. A good protein has zero sugar, and about 70 Cal / 30g of protein.

A lean protein will not cause you gain weight. Protein is a great weight loss supplement because you can use it as your "snack" between meals or when your hungry. It also is best after you work out. After you work out you need protein to help repair your muscles. The more muscles you have the more fat you burn at rest. So make sure your using those weights at least a little. Cardio is good for quick weight loss, but once you stop that's it you stop burning fat. If you work you muscles then you keep burning after you work out.
  • cfer843625
    Options
    even just protein from foods?? I dont think she is using supplements....
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    If she works out a lot lots of protein is a good thing, it helps build muscles and helps repair them after working out. I usually look at the numbers here as a minimum amount of protein that I need each day. I usually get 110 - 140g protein a day and I only get that high by adding a protein shake after I work out and I am consistently losing about 3lb a week and developing muscle tone at the same time.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't a bad thing as long as it is lean protein. If it's greasy fatty protein, then avoid it. The more you exercise the more you need protein. The only negative thing I ever heard was that too much protein can be bad for your heart.... I have NO IDEA if that is true, so research it before you quote me! It may have been someone who was misinformed.
  • cfer843625
    Options
    Thats what Ive told her but I wanted to make sure...Thanks!!!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My concern is that your neighbor might not be eating enough variety of fruits and veggies and whole grains. Too much protein won't make you gain weight if you're on target with your calorie intake, but the nutrition in plant foods will promote health and weight loss. If she is significantly over eating protein on a daily basis she might not be getting enough vitamins and minerals for healthy skin and hair, organs and digestive system, nervous system and metabolism. You can't get that from a tablet either - fresh produce has so much more than food scientists have discovered. Just think about all the new "discoveries" you hear about every day in the news. Twenty or thirty years from now, we'll look back on this time as if it were the dark ages of nutritional science!
  • Shortyburb
    Shortyburb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Protein doesnt cause weight gain... too many calories do.

Actually you gain from carbs turning into sugars. Yes you can gain from protein shakes from the sugars and carbs which turn into sugars. However protein from foods will not be stored as fat. Only sugars do that.

If she feels good about how much protein shes eating then theres no reason to change it.
  • tiggiyy
    tiggiyy Posts: 10
    Options
    Not to get too far off target, but about the carbs...carbs are not bad in themselves. Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy....you metabolize carbs before anything else. Now carbs come in different types. There are starches (bad) and grains (bad). These carbs are metabolized slower than other types of carbs. Then you have regular sugars (sugar/high fructose corn syrup), which are bad, but not as bad as grains or starches. Then you have natural sugars in fruits, which is one of the fastest burning carbs, and finally you have alcohol, which is THE first carb your body metabolizes.

The problem with carbs, and what makes them "bad" is that while your body is burning carbs, it will not burn (and will store) fat. Once your body burns all the carbs in your diet, it moves on to the next available source for sugar, which is fat. Carbs in alcohol and natural sugars in fruits will be zapped extremely fast if you exercise. The bad carbs are slower to be metabolized (burned as sugar) and as such they have a delayed effect on your body's natural transition to fat burning.

Protein is also very important, especially if you're on a low carb diet because along with fat, your body will also have a tendency to burn muscle tissue as well. If you're exercising, and especially if you're doing it with low calories and low carbs, protein becomes very important. Eating a full healthy diet with excersize it helps you maintain and build muscle.

I'm now losing about 2 lbs a week and each day I have about 4 cups of fruit and a banana each day along with a lot of vegatables and lean meats such as chicken/fish, etc.