What should I do?!

Options
Although I am no stranger to working out (I have already lost 50 lbs). At this point I am very confused. I have weighed 150 for almost 6 months now. MY current Body fat percentage is ~17% and i want to bring it down to 10%. But whats complicated is I feel like i'm no longer losing the weight I need to get here. I believe this is because I am so scrawny in the arms and legs. my bicep measurement is current only 11.5 inches.... My goal was to increase these after I get rid of all the belly fat remaining. but now I am Beginning to think this is the reason why losing weight isn't happening. Would focusing on gaining more muscle in all parts of my body and a little cardio lower my Body fat % quicker? or would this only slow me down? I've heard that gaining muscle while trying to look slimmer will only make you look fatter. I don't know if this is true nor do i remember the source. I just need to do something fast about this extra weight this winter.

Lastly I only need to lose ~15 more pounds to be at a body fat % of ~8-10%

Replies

• Doingitforme95
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means, but it seems like mixing things up a bit may be helpful. Your body may be used to whatever you are doing now. Gaining muscle could possibly help you a ton! I would try incorporating a little bit of strength training or circuit training into your workouts. I personally love all of the Jillian Michaels workout DVDs, I find that the circuit training she does in them nice because it mixes things up and you know you're getting a good workout.

I almost forgot to tell you, great job on losing fifty pounds!! I'm sure you'll reach your final goals in no time, keep up the great work! :D
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would look up the Eat, Train, Progress group on here. They have a lot of info on this subject and can help you with specifics.
    In general:
    You cannot gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Eat at a small surplus to gain muscle, but realize you will gain some fat, also.

Measuring body fat percentage is almost never completely accurate.

Weigh and measure anything with calories with a kitchen scale. You can't be sure you are in a deficit if you don't.

Scale weight is not always the best measure. Pictures and tape measure, and knowing muscle gain is a SLOW process.