9-5-ers gym/meal question

Options
Hey everyone
So I have recently gone back to work and i am trying to figure the best times to work out and eat.
Can you share with me:
1, The times you eat meals,
2. The time you go to the gym/workout
3. How long you spend in the gym/workout

Hopefully knowing how others manage it will help me .
Thanks in advance

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast when I wake up, lunch on my lunch break, then around 4 I usually have a snack so I have more energy for the gym. After work I go to the gym for about an hour, then I go home and eat dinner, which usually ends up being around 7:30 p.m. after that I have some dessert at whatever time before I go to sleep lol, hope that helps.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Does an 8-7er count?

I make a shake for breakfast. 10:30am is my first break, so I'll have a small snack I brought with me. 1pm is lunch. 4:30pm is my second break, so I'll grab another small snack. 7-7:30 is gym on Sunday, and Tuesday which usually lasts until 8:45-9pm. I go at any time I Thursday also since it is an off day for me.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast as soon as I wake up (6-6:30ish). I try to take my lunch to work, and include an easy to eat while working snack for bout 10am (almonds are my current go to). We have a gym at my work, so I usually try to get in about 30 minutes during lunch and then eat afterwards (my boss isn't super strict about lunch--but I usually eat lunch at my desk while working on emails and such). About 3-4pm, I will have another snack I brought from work (lately carrots and yogurt dip). I pick my daughter up from school and head to the gym so she can play in the kids area while I work out (usually 6:30-7:30ish). Then we go home for dinner (crock pot is my best friend in the entire world!). We eat together, finish the homework she didn't get done in her after school program, read together and then go to bed. This is my plan MWTh which is our normal gym days. TF we go straight home and eat something that did not come from a crockpot (sometimes--lol). Saturday and Sunday mornings we also go to the gym. I get my longer workouts done then.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I work full time. I pack a lunch and breakfast. I eat breakfast when I get to work (during the week), lunch when I can fit it into my schedule, and the stop at gym on the way home. After leaving the gym I get home, have a light dinner, and start it all over the next day. I spent 50-60 minutes at the gym, alternating cardio/weights nights and I always take Friday's off from the workouts. That's date night with hubby.
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person - up at 5:45/ 6 to try to get to the gym for 6:30 / 6:45 (Wed / Fri). Light breakfast of a quick omelette. Usually back at the house by 8 ish (glass of milk / banana) then off to work for about 9 / 9:15. I can't go after work because I just know that even if I could control when I finished (and usually I end up there longer than I want) I have no motivation for the gym by then, so I would just end up doing nothing! Also try to fit a visit in over the weekend
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It varies from day to day but typically something like this:

Breakfast at 08:00. Lunch at 11:00. Snack at 15:00. Dinner around 19:00. I usually work out from 17:00-18:00.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I am still not all that consistent with my gym habits. Trying to get better at it, but it's a work in progress. FWIW, when I do go to the gym, my day looks like:
    • Breakfast when I get to work (around 9)
    • Lunch midday - 12-1pm-ish (packed, usually at my desk)
    • Usually a small snack before the gym around 5-5:30pm -- a banana or a handful of nuts and raisins or something similar -- just to give me a boost and stave off the hunger.
    • Gym for about an hour around 6-7 or sometimes a 6:30-7:15 spinning class. Get home by 7:30 generally.
    • Dinner when I get home and cook it, usually around 8pm.

I don't love eating dinner that late 'cause I'm usually starving. But I simply can't eat a full dinner before working out. And I am NOT a morning person, so try as I might I just can't get in the habit of going to the gym before work.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym one week day a week:

5:15 wake, drink water, drink either one cup milk plus protein powder or eat a yogurt
    5:45 leave for gym
    6-7:15 workout
    8:00 leave gym after showering, get a coffee
    8:30 eat remaining breakfast at desk (pp/milk or yogurt, fruit, kashi bar)

The other mornings I workout at home. My schedule is somewhat similar except I finish breakfast there instead of at work.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 7:30, have a small snack around 10:30, lunch at 1:30/2, another snack mid-afternoon, and then I go to the gym around 6 and do a 35 minute workout. I usually eat dinner around 7:30 and sometimes have a snack sometime before bed.
  • nriviecc
    nriviecc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at work, at my desk, usually between 9 and 10am because I don't really get hungry until then. I take lunch at 1pm every day, and I always pack my lunch. Same for breakfast, actually - I usually take 20-30 minutes before I go to bed to make sure I have everything ready to grab in the morning, including my giant water container. Typically I eat dinner around 7pm. I do snack throughout the day if/when I get hungry.

As far as the gym goes, that varies for me. I shoot to get there before work, but if I sleep through my 5am alarm, I pack a gym bag and stop at the gym on my way home from work. Right now, I'm only at the gym for about an hour when I go. I either take some kind of cardio class, or run on the treadmill. I'd like to add strength training to my routine soon, so I expect the length of time I'm in the gym to increase once I do that.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast/snacks/lunch provided at my office, so I don't eat anything until I get to work around 9:30 or 10 a.m. Some days, I'll have a piece of fruit or a few almonds around 12 p.m., and then usually eat lunch (soup and raw veggies) around 2 p.m., with one more snack around 4 p.m. Depending on where I am for calories and how I feel, I'll sometimes do one more pre-gym snack before I leave work at 6:30. Then, gym, home by 8 and dinner after that.
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I exercise first thing for 45 minutes, then breakfast, lunch at 12. Tea at 5.30 and sometimes a wee bit more exercise and that is my whole exciting life.
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Even I feel depressed after reading that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    Hey everyone
    So I have recently gone back to work and i am trying to figure the best times to work out and eat.
    Can you share with me:
    1, The times you eat meals,
    2. The time you go to the gym/workout
    3. How long you spend in the gym/workout

Hopefully knowing how others manage it will help me .
    Thanks in advance
    1. Whenever. Sometime generally between 9am and 3pm (I work 6a to 2:30p)
    2. After work
    3. 1-2 hours.

I work east coast hours while living on the west coast, but during my work day, I have a touch of flex on when I eat, or choose not to eat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wake up between 6-7 (usually 7 b/c I suck at life and I can't hear my alarm)
    to work between 8-830.
    Coffee till noon/1PM
    First lunch- 2- first snack
    330-4 PM- pre workout snack
    7 PMish post workout/pre dance snack
    11 PM- dinner

I lift either at 5 AM or at 5 PM- typically I'm a after work worker-outer. I fail at that whole early morning thing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I work from 8am- 4:20pm. I get up by 5:30 and work out at home with a dvd for 20-45 min first thing, done by 6:05-6:10. I have coffee at 6:30 and eat breakfast at 7am. I have a small snack at 10ish, then lunch at 11:25. My afternoon snack is around 2:30-3pm and then I go workout at the gym from 4:35-5:15. Dinner is around 6 or 6:30, and another snack before bed.