Eating healthy on a budget, any tips, tricks or recipes?

Options
Hello all! I'm just beginning my weight loss journey and so far it's going well, I'm looking for some advice on eating healthy on a budget though, I'm a college student and don't make that much money, so shopping is more of a weekly thing with like $20 or $30 a week.

Any tips or recipes or just any general advice on eating healthy on such a small budget?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Rice, lentils and seasonal vegetables. Crazy cheap and insanely healthy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Also buy canned or frozen fruits and veggies or whatever you see on sale.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Catch bread on sale and freeze it. Look for the manager specials for meats and veggies. Buy the cheapest packs of meat. Buy frozen veg or fruit. Shop at a food resaler much cheaper or a 99 c only store or big lots has certain foods cheap. Buy in bulk at a health food store your lentils, rice, beans, quinoa, chia, hemp hulls, millet, amaranth.it is alot cheaper and you can buy your spices and nuts like this too. As it is a charge per lb.
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits and vegetables. I shop at kroger and buy the kroger brand and sometimes they'll have their 10 for 10 deal.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get yourself one of the club cards for the grocery store you go to. I go to Kroger also, and generally "save" a couple of bucks when I shop.

Tuna fish in a pouch, or can is pretty cheap, and it is great for your macros. Right now, my Kroger has a 10 for 10 deal on Starkist pouches, and I have stocked up. lol
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Right now is a great time to buy whole turkeys. Cook one up and portion it out for lots of different meals.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Savingstar.com is a good one. They are offering 20% back on loose apples this week. You can either enter your stores club card and they automatically track what you buy and compare them to offers that you have chosen. You can also shop at any store, scan your receipt and upload the image. Eventually you can transfer your savings back into your bank account.

My favorite thing to do is use my credit card with rewards to pay for everything. Those rewards can add up fast. Even if i have the cash, i swipe my card at the grocery store and then just pay the credit card as soon as it posts. The rewards i accumulated over the last 4 or 5 months has been how i have been affording groceries since no one is my house has been employed since September.

You could be amazed at the power of pennies saved.
  • digitalcanuck
    digitalcanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I actually just discovered how easy it is to make baked beans. It is unbelievably cheap too. I can feed 3 adults for about $3 total. For a single person, you could make a batch and divide it into 3 meals and freeze them. $1 for a very nutritious, protein rich meal is a great deal.

I usually soak the beans Saturday night, cook them in the morning and let them slow cook all day Sunday. It does take some planning, but is completely doable.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Eggs are also pretty cheap- I buy the 18 packs and eat them scrambled, in english muffin sandwiches, hard boiled, etc. The more you can make at home, the better/cheaper. Also, if you make a soup or something 'bigger' you can freeze individual portions for later on