Fitness Tracker: buy now or wait?

Options
Hello,

Today I have officially lost my Fitbit One and I feel utterly naked without it. It has been a huge motivational gadget for me in my weight loss journey, and even though I can definitely lose weight without it, I really liked using it as a motivational tool.

With so many more fitness trackers coming out soon/recently, I am wondering whether to buy another Fitbit One or wait until the other ones that might come out. I wouldn't mind a clip-on vs wristband, but the reason why I chose the one is because I heard the wristbands aren't as accurate since they might track non-steps just from moving your arm a little.

But the wristbands (Charge HR, Surge, JawboneUP3, etc.) are the ones that seem to be coming out, so maybe I should switch to those now, maybe they're more accurate? What are your thoughts?

also I liked that the newer ones were coming out with HRM on them, but I was also concerned with the accuracy of those since it's on your wrist, not a chest strap. Don't want to pay extra $$ for features that won't even be accurate, but I would pay a lot if there is a chance it could be great.

So should I just wait until the new ones come out and read the reviews? Could the new ones be better than my fitbit one or do you think the fitbit one or another current fitness tracker will remain the best out there?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in what people have to say about this.
  • sdavies1984
    sdavies1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had my eye on the new one from microsoft because of the HRM. Not really interested unless it has that capability. It didn't seem to do too well as far as reviews go. I guess that battery doesn't last very long. I am trying to hold off as long as I can. I don't want to be an early adopter and then have something so much better come out soon after. These devices are only going to get better. If you need something, maybe save some scratch by getting the same old fitbit you had and keep an eye on the cool new stuff coming out.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am getting a new Fitbit when they come out! Not sure which one yet though. And for the record, the Fitbit flex, which is worn on the wrist, doesn't track arm movements. I`ve done little experiments, and I have found it to be as accurate as can be.
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Fitbit Charge HR to come out :)
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I bought the TomTom Cardio Runner because I wanted to track my distance, time, run pace, and HR. It was really important for me for the distance since I'm training for a half-marathon and two full marathons within the next 6 months. I like it a lot and it syncs to MapMyRun (which then Syncs to MFP). I would love to have gotten a pace counter....but because where I work...we can't have any cell phones, personal electronic devices, or Bluetooth devices while at the office.

I think if you have time to wait and hold off for the reviews and holiday sales, you should. It is rather expensive when you do decide to buy something.
  • Timon0201
    Timon0201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i also have a clip on fitbit and have wanted to switch over to the band. but i checked amazon reviews on the new fitbit charge aren't very good. i feel the clip ons are probably going to be the most accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Charge-Wireless-Activity-Wristband/dp/B00N2BVTJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416818639&sr=8-1&keywords=fitbit+charge+small
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I have the MS Band and love it. I find that charging it on my way to work and when I'm in the car keeps the battery up and I don't lose anything. Love the data I get out of it
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM that comes with a chest strap. I love it. I use other aps for tracking my miles when I go for long runs so I don't need GPS, step trackers and I don't need to know how many calories I burn while I sleep. If you're looking for straight calories burned during a workout (cardio) Polars are affordable (got mine for $55 on Amazon) and I have found mine to be accurate.