How did you change your lifestyle from fat to fit ?

Options
I am 54 years old. Been overweight most of my life. I been trying to loose weight forever it seems. Seems every week, I try to get started on a better lifestyle but never seem to get the hang of it . So many times I thought I was motivated enough but I let little things interfere and I get of track so easy. I am so tired of feeling and looking bad , I ask myself almost every day WHY I cant get to do the right things . I am wondering what made you change and stay with it ?

Replies

• I know. I saw on TV that good life habits start when you are young. I changed by reminding myself who I do not want to be 20 years from now. That is happy & healthy. That is how I try to do it. :D
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    one step at a time, one good choice after another
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    you have to develop a 'tough mind';
    - commit to the goal of losing 'x' lbs
    - be honest; weigh and document everything that passes your lips
    - dedicate your life to this goal
    then evaluate daily your progress, set goals in the morning for intake and exercise and review each evening what you've done to achieve your goals.
    look at yourself, your close family, your children, grandchildren and ask; do I want to be around with these people for a long time?
    that's what I did!
    good luck anny.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im more work in progress, but going pretty well. It has to start with some reason for you to make the commitment to change and be willing to accept the consequences that come with going on a diet and becoming fit. Part of my reasons were getting a fright from health risks and what might kill me later on down the line. Thast a big motivator and a game changer.

I back that up worth planning well and acquiring the knowledge I need both in mindset and talking myself through every angle of my plan. You have to be friends with yourself and commit. That means when you come to make tough choices you believe getting to traget is more important than a bit of comfort eating or slacking off the gym. Ive also read the forums and other articles about good habits and how it all works so I cna make smarter decisions.

Aim to get good habits , take babysteps and then keep pushing yourself. !0 minutes wlak becomes 15 a 5lb weight becomes ten etc. Progress is encouraging as is a lot of self support and encouragement. Its completely in your hands whether you stick with it or not, just push through, but be flexible.

Look at the success threads and you will see some ordinary people have achieved extraordinary things by keeping gong. You can do it if you want it enough.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I calculated my estimated caloric maintenance needs, removed 20% from that (or 15% atm, depending on which calculator was correct), set my macro/protein goals, and eat any food I'd like that fulfills my macro/protein needs while being within my calories. Although being over/under isn't a big deal sometimes.

And then I continued lifting weights, which i've done on and off for ~2 years but only got serious about this summer.

Basically then, I changed my lifestyle by only doing/incorporating things I actually like. I don't eat salad and chicken every day for every meal, I'll eat donuts and cake if I want and if it fits my day. I don't do cardio because I don't enjoy it. I basically am living the same way I used to, only with better understanding of my intake and having set goals. And of course eating less than I did when I gained.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Last December, my doctor referred me to physical therapy for my knees for three months. Then, in June, she referred me for two months for my low back and core. The therapy place let me stay on, using their studio like a gym for a flat fee. I did that for August, September and October. Earle November, she referred me back to therapy for my ankles. The therapist give me e exercises to do there and at home, and they treat any pains I have and let me use all their gym machines. It motivated me to want to lose weight to take pressure off my joints and reduce pain. I have 43 lbs off so far. I'd ask your doctor to refer you to physical therapy for conditioning and see how it goes from there. You will learn to safely exercise and, hopefully, that will motivate you like me.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Seriously, its as simple and as difficult as that. You have to schedule your gym time. Put it on your calendar and treat it like a doctors appointment. Go whether you want to or not.

Log everything that goes into your mouth. It doesn't matter if you're going to be way over your calorie goal. Log it anyway. Treat it like its your job.

Eventually it will all become habit.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating as much. I went to the gym. Then I went to the gym more and lifted heavy and never stopped. Not much to it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was sick of myself when I started, honestly. Sick of how much I could eat, and of being so overweight, and my doctor managed to terrify me by ordering an EKG and other kinds of test because of my weight. So it wasn't that difficult for me, and it got easier once I realized that I didn't have to cut any food to be able to lose weight.

The eating part still sucks a lot after almost 2 years, but the exercise part, let's say I can't stand sitting all day without doing anything anymore.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Having high cholesterol and high blood sugars once, losing a lot of weight, then gaining it all back plus about 10-20 more pounds, and eating like crap believing I was happy by eating irresponsibly.

All the while I saw my father do sort of a similar thing with his diabetes. He got it under control, lost a ton of weight and got in shape. Then when he burned out on that, gained the weight back and his diabetes progressed to where he has not lost his feet or toes yet, but he has lost a lot of function in them. He got back on track again, but only after basically hobbling himself for the rest of his life.

Early this year my blood sugars were 0.1 away from being officially diabetic, and was prescribed Metformin with a prognosis that I would likely be diabetic soon if I did not address my weight and carbs. And even if I did there was still a likelihood that later in life if I did not continue to take car of myself I would become diabetic.

That was my prompt since January 2014, and I'm still going. Granted, it's only just under a year so far, but the changes I have made are changes I really can live with for the rest of my life. Plus, these changes have made me happier overall, with a different outlook.

Really, the only thing I fear bringing me down is some sort of negativity, depression or something that lets me revert back to "not caring" enough and feeling I need to live more unhealthy because I'm feeling down, or whatever, needing fatty comfort foods, or eating all the time to fill whatever. So I plan to keep on exercising for the high, and keeping things positive. That alone helps to stave off such things, even when stressors pop up. I just have to keep myself prepared and not slip up again.

I think that can be true for some others, but not all. It's what I am doing though.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I was about your age and just starting menopause when I saw a photo of myself.
    I looked like a fat old lady.
    So my whole weight loss journey is vanity!
    That week I replaced fizzy pop with fizzy water.
    Replaced ale with light beer.
    Replaced fries with side salad if I was eating out.
    I then read a lot and decided calorie counting was the method that would work for me.
    Once I was counting calories I decided I needed to exercise, I loath exercise.
    I found aqua fit was acceptable, so did that 3 times a week.
    It took a year but I got to the weight that I wanted to be without having to pit my life on hold.
    Fast forward - I am 61 now and have kept the weight off still do aqua fit ( and have done belly dancing, Zumba, weight training, 10k races walking!) and count my calories for a few month every year just to refresh my portion control.

For me it was starting with small changes and growing them as I was ready; for others it is making a big change all at once.
    Decide how you want to do it, then it is as simple (hahaha) as just doing it.
    Good luck,
    Cheers, h

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I truly wish I could answer this question, but I honestly do not know what caused me to change my mindset. Basically, I woke up and decided that was the day I was going to change my life. I signed up with MFP (read about it about a month prior in the Fitness magazine) and read as many success stories as I could find. I posted a pic of Serena Williams on my fridge along with several inspirational quotes & Bible scriptures to check out every time I went to get anything out of the refrigerator. I committed to logging everything I ate, and I allowed myself one "free" day a week. Even on that "free" day, I logged every bite. I started drinking my water, and logging that too. Two days after joining MFP, I realized that being healthy overall would require some exercise so I headed to the gym. I have been doing these things ever since.

I honestly do not have any quit in me. My tag line on MFP is "Exceptional People Don't Quit!", which I live by. Along the way, I joined groups and challenges (running group, eating within my calorie range, run/walk/bike challenge, etc.) on here to keep me going too. It has not been hard for me (this time) because I have decided this is how I will have to live for the rest of my life, and I'm okay with that. Eating healthier foods most of the time, tracking my calories (macros overall), and exercising regularly is a small sacrifice for living a healthy happy life.

Wishing you all the best!
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have my final goal set but also aim for smaller 5-10lb mini-goals.

I measure and weight everything! I also log every bite I put into my mouth, good, bad, or just plain ugly. Not logging doesn't make it not happen so you may has well be accountable. I have started cutting out prepackaged foods and preservatives from my diet. Eating more whole grains, when needed I sweeten with either raw sugar or local raw honey instead of refined white sugar. I have incorporated more fresh fruits and veggies into my meals and only eat red meat once a week, if that.

Exercise has become a part of my daily routine. at least 5-6 days a week include at least 45 minutes of either cardio and/or pilates for strengthening and toning.

It seems like a lot of changes but in all honesty, once I set my mind to it, it was easier than I thought it would be.

You CAN do this!!!

22975671.png
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of different issues here. One is deciding to get fit. I started exercising regularly in my last year of college, when I realized that even though I could walk for 2 or 3 hours (that was how I got around), I couldn't run a block without getting winded. I started using the exercise cycle at the gym, then I got into swimming, then running. When I got a job, I did cut back on the intensity, but I got a bike and went cycling semi-regularly, and I've stayed reasonably fit since then. I did increase the intensity starting in the summer of 2008.

The second issue is deciding to lose weight. I lost a lot of weight in my 20s without planning to do so, probably because I added cycling, swimming, and running (though not triathlons!) to what was already 2-4 miles of daily walking. I slowly gained it back in my 30s and was at my heaviest, around 225 pounds, at 40. At that point I decided I had better lose weight. Increasing exercise had worked for me in my 20s, so I did that. However, I lost maybe 15 pounds, then my weight bounced around between 205 and 215 for a few years.

After developing lower back pain in fall 2012, and getting blood work that showed rising cholesterol, I decided I had to take more drastic measures. I happened to be reading an issue of Consumer Reports that rated various weight loss programs, including free online ones, and I noticed that MFP got great ratings. So on Jan. 7, 2013, I created an account, weighed in, set up my goal to lose 1.5 pounds a week, and just started.

For me, having a daily calorie goal was enough of a motivation. I don't beat myself up if I go over on any given day, but I try to make my calories balance out over the course of the week. And I deliberately set a pretty aggressive goal so that even if I misestimated something, I would still lose weight. In fact, I lost about 1.1 pounds a week, so I was missing about 200 calories a day in my logging (probably overestimating exercise calories and underestimating food eaten). After a few months I got better at estimating.

In short: fitness has been habitual for me since the 1990s, and especially since 2008. It's rare that I go for more than a day or two without some kind of exercise. Weight loss was harder, and took the structure of MFP to achieve. I suspect I'll keep logging food for the rest of my life, though I might try eating intuitively for a couple of months to see whether it works. If not, I can always come back to MFP!

There are very few good weight loss books out there (I think), but one of the best is Dr. Yoni Freedhoff's [url="[img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/3452/7787/34527787.png[/img]"]The Diet Fix[/url]. I would recommend getting it from your library. The 10-Day Reset at the beginning is gimmicky, and not everyone needs low-cal, high-protein snacks between meals, but in general, it's full of very good advice. (I have no financial interest in the book; I just like it!)

Good luck! It can be done!

34527787.png
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Don't try to make a huge change all at once or be super restrictive on your diet OR try some super intense workout series (unless you are really into working out in that way). Small changes, eating what you like in moderation, logging everything and making it a habit, and finding the exercise you LOVE. If you hate it, you won't stick with it. If you eat too restrictively, you WILL gain it back. It has to be long term, easy to fit in, and fun. Keep at it. It took me a long time and many different fad diets to figure this out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people try to do a complete 180 overnight...I've never seen that work. Also, it has to be about more than just weight. I actually never set out to lose weight...I set out to be healthier in general which required me to change my eating habits (a little at a time) and I started exercising regularly. The end result is being healthier and more fit...and I happened to lose weight along the way.

I suppose I am fortunate in that I am a former athlete...when I was overweight and out of shape I still knew what healthy and fit felt like...and ultimately I missed that feeling which was enough motivation for me to start living a more healthful life.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my recliner after work (my usual) stuffing my face with wild abandon when all of a sudden I said to myself, "what the _ _ _ _ are you doing to yourself?!!!" If you continue in this manner you are going to succumb to diabetes and/or high blood pressure, etc. I, too, could not recognize myself in pictures. I saw one my niece took and thought, "who is that fat, old man?" And I'm a woman!!!!
    I also do not want to end up being the obese old lady in the nursing home that nobody wants to care for. Sad, but true. People can be so cruel and horrible to the overweight/obese as I've had first hand experience of it.
    That was the middle of October 2013 (at age 59) and 75 pounds ago.
    I don't know why it finally "clicked" for me, but I'm so glad it did. One day at a time is definitely the way to go, but I constantly have to talk to myself and convince myself that I deserve to have good health. I am worth it. You are worth it, too!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Kjurassic, so glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I was reading the old man story; I would have spit it out.
    Congrats on your weight loss.

Cheers, h.

My before ( wake up call) pic is on my profile page; my avatar is my 60th birthday.
  • anny3818
    anny3818 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for talking to me .... I will be rereading this over and over I know I can do this .
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was sick of being the friend at the beach that hid in tankinis while my friends looked like super models in their string bikinis. At first it was the hardest thing, I hated exercising for longer than 45 minutes and I just wanted to eat ice cream. But once friends and family started telling me how great I looked it pushed me harder. Now I run 6 miles for fun and couldn't imagine going back to how I used to live. I found a lot of fruits that I love. And if I spend 6 days out of the week working my *kitten* off I give myself one day to rest and be more generous with what I eat. It is really just learning to live with moderation. After a month of doing it it will start to feel right and everyday gets easier for me. I wish you the best of luck!