Want to Start Running, But Overweight and Feel Embarrassed :(

Options

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be embarrassed at all! Maybe an odd tip, but I started running on the paved paths in a cemetery that was on my street. Definitely a quiet spot to start without anyone paying attention to you...
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ^ pa-jorg (nice rollins reference, btw) nailed it: "don't be embarrassed at all"

easier said than done of course. but it's so awesome you're doing this. there are so many positives going on here that you're starting and doing it.

It's a great shot of awesome with a side of "this is so cool".

(I'm not a runner and don't any constructive advice what to do. anything I'd say would be "build up to air squats below parallel. walking lunges. work up to planks" or some such and besides the point. Instead, I just want to cheer you on)
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people think of you - the only opinion that matters is yours, and you're doing this for yourself. I started C25k when I was close to 300 lbs, and it honestly never seemed like anyone else out there cared that I was overweight... and if they did care, they kept it to themselves. If I got any reaction at all it was fellow runners/walkers smiling as we passed.
  • laurenisfitforlife
    Options
    Wow - Everyones' encouragement and kind words are so appreciated! So a HUGE thanks to all of you guys! I feel way better about this. I think that I just need to get out there, stay positive and not worry about what others think or don't think. Running has been a huge goal for me so I am totally doing this for me and only me. Thanks again!
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you are going to run outside purchase a pair of yak-tracks (spelling?) at a local running store or sports store to put on your running shoes to help from slipping and sliding.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The first time I started c25k, I was outside and overweight. For the most part, I was so focused on my audiobook and listening for cues that if anyone commented or gave me a sideways glance, I never noticed. All the people I talked to in the running community were incredibly supportive. So I'd say go for it.

Now I'm doing it on a treadmill. I know when I transition to outdoor running again it will be different than treadmill running, but I decided doing what I could now (gym has childcare) was better than waiting for the day where outdoor running was more feasible than treadmill running is now. And it all counts towards my goals of getting healthier and modeling good habits for my daughter which is awesome.

My point... Once you are running you won't focus on anything but the run and what you are listening to. It is the most amazing feeling of freedom that I have ever felt.

I live where it doesn't get too cold, but if you can't access a treadmill then you may like Leslie sansone's videos while you wait for better weather. She does walking focused DVDs that I'd think would be great for preparing for c25k. I checked them out from the library when I used them because I wasnt hoping to need them too long. But they were a good bridge between inactive and getting active. I never ran in place indoors.

Good luck.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I run outside and started when there were still feet of snow on the ground. I was also just over 200 pounds. First, I found clothes that didn't embarrass me and kept me warm enough. I used a town path that was groomed so I could run on compacted snow. I didn't get trail shoes until later when the snow was melting, and that was a mistake. If you're running on snow, look into some sort of trail shoe or something with traction; it makes a huge difference. I felt so empowered by the running that I started resistance training, and so empowered by the resistance training that I tried harder at running. I hope you just get out there and do it; you'll thank yourself.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    pa_jorg wrote: »
    I don't think you should be embarrassed at all! Maybe an odd tip, but I started running on the paved paths in a cemetery that was on my street. Definitely a quiet spot to start without anyone paying attention to you...

I actually run at the small cemetery behind my house. You are right. I rarely see anybody else there except for a very nice older couple walking their dog, with whom I have now bonded :) A plus is also that there are some decent hills there as well.

• jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Consider running at your local high school track if you want "privacy"

^^This is exactly what I did when I was just starting out. When I started, I was in a very similar place you are in now. You can do it!
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    pa_jorg wrote: »

I actually run at the small cemetery behind my house. You are right. I rarely see anybody else there except for a very nice older couple walking their dog, with whom I have now bonded :) A plus is also that there are some decent hills there as well.

We can be fined up to $100 for taking our pets into the cemetery. So, yeah a pretty quite place to go around here.

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sorry to link an ad, but: Watch, please
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started 11 months ago... New Year's resolution. I was embarrassed enough that I wanted to run in the dark, and winters here have plenty of dark to go around.

Plus, there's absolutely no temptation to run in spandex when it's below freezing.

Give it a shot to see how it works for you.
  • calypsotracey
    calypsotracey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started running at back in October at my work gym when I weighed about 240 lbs. At first I would only do it when no one else was in the gym because I was very worried about what people would think. Then one evening I was really excited about trying to increase my running intervals, but the other people in the gym wouldn’t leave so I just started doing my own thing. To my suprise, I didn’t die of embarassment. I still feel a little strange sometimes, but I just concentrate on the improvements I’ve made and recognize that the other people aren’t paying any more attention to me than I am to them.

Good luck, OP! Running for me is a mind over matter endeavor and I’m definitely glad I got started.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    I actually run at the small cemetery behind my house. You are right. I rarely see anybody else there except for a very nice older couple walking their dog

Plot twist: they're GHOSTS!

Seriously, that's a cool location. Has anybody here tried trail running? That's the most enjoyable distance-stuff I've ever done.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Trail running is something that I am hoping to get into after I finish c25k. I feel more confident about the transition now that I have worked with a podiatrist to ensure that my feet are properly supported.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Ishii19 wrote: »
    I'm a pretty new runner - about a year - and what I've found reading stuff online and passing other runners out on the road is we are a very inclusive group. So if you are red faced, jiggly, wheezy, plodding along sloowly running any runner you see is mentally (or sometimes verbally) cheering you on, thinking "I've been there! Keep at it - it's worth it! Good for you!" And as for non runners - well as they say no matter how fast you run you're lappin everyone on the couch! Be proud :) get some light fleece layers or a treadmill and shake it!

This!!! It's so true. I am a new runner too, I can now do 5 k non stop but crikey it used to be sooo hard to run for 20 seconds!!! And now I'm training for a 10 k in March! You can do it for sure. Everyone is cheering you on. Nobody is looking at you they are too busy keeping their own pace and if they look at you they are thinking good onya! So go on do it... And let us know how you go. We will be cheering :-))))
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I say just go for it!!! Who cares what other people think. It's not like you know them or are even accountable to them. If I see anyone running, I always give them props....because they are out there doing it and not thinking about it. As to being embarrassed, you may get a little self-conscious, but that's understandable...especially if you aren't used to running. Just think happy thoughts like what you are doing is going to make both you happy and your body healthy.

It doesn't matter if you start off slow or even walk. You are out there. Period. Have fun, take your time, and go at a pace that you are comfortable with.

Good luck!
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Oh... And I used to be 32 kilos heavier ;-) Another bit of advice go to a proper running store and get shoes fitted. So you don't get the shin splints and the suchlike. I've just done that and am hoping it will change my life :-)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    In January of this year I noticed a woman who was very overweight jogging down my street. She was at least as big as I was then. Her cheeks were bright red from exertion. All I could think of was; "Wow, you go girl!!". I was kind of jealous.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You already got so many great responses, but I wanted to chime in. This is not the first time I've starting a running training program as a VFP (Very Fat Person), and I tell you what, I love it – it's going to stick this time. I've been walking for a few months now and quickly gained more fitness, enough that I wanted to start C25K again. I was going to wait until spring, but I just couldn't wait and started a similar program last week, switching to C25K today.

I am 5' 8" tall and my current weight is 314 pounds. I ran my first an only 5K in 2008 at probably about 10 pounds less - I finished the whole thing without walking, though certainly my version of running is quite slow. I don't care. I know speed will come the more I train and the more I lose weight.

I guess I remember feeling a little funny putting myself out there as a VFP running at first. Now, though, I can't help but feel nothing but pride in what I am doing. If someone wants to laugh or criticize, let them. I'LL be the one having the last laugh. I'M the one out there doing the work. They have no idea. I feel like a superstar when I am out there, to be honest.

By the way, I live in Niagara Falls, NY, just north of Buffalo. Talk about snow and wintry weather, right? I get out there regardless. If it's too snowy or icy, I belong to a gym so that I can use the treadmill when I have to – but honestly, I WAY prefer the outdoors, in just about any weather. I am fortunate to have a really nice neighborhood for walking/running and it's about a 15 minute walk to Devil's Hole State Park, even better! Trail walking is the best. :)

Good luck to you. Don't be afraid to do what you want to do. You will likely have many secret admirers watching, rather than people making fun! :)