Lifting reps/sets question : ) (stronglifts)

Options
Hi, I'm a woman doing stronglifts 5x5 and it's been a bit over a month since starting. I just have a few questions for those who are more experienced in lifting. First of all, a few days ago at the gym I was squatting around 200lbs and the gym receptionist(who is also a trainer) came up to me and told me that I shouldn't be squatting "that much weight" and that doing only 5 reps will make my legs bulky.... yes, the b word, and that I should do many more reps to get "toned and long muscles".... derp

My question is: should I do more reps/less sets such as 3x10 for my squats(I believe this is what she recommended) or should I continue with 5x5? My legs are definitely sore after doing all those reps, but after going back to 5x5 my legs don't get that sore, should I be concerned about that(perhaps I'm not working the muscles out enough?)

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Ignore whoever told you that.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Mehdi (the creator of Stronglifts)? His legs are pretty chicken-esque for what I would think someone who can squat 400lbs should be.

Unless you're specifically attempting to make your legs bulky, and gain muscle by eating at a calorie surplus, then you're going to be pretty safe on that front. You're not going to accidentally become a bodybuilder. haha

Even if you do notice that they're gaining more bulk than you'd like all you'd have to do is deload down to a lighter weight, or quit lifting altogether for a little bit.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You will not get bulky, you'll get fit.
  • b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a
    Options
    Have you seen Mehdi (the creator of Stronglifts)? His legs are pretty chicken-esque for what I would think someone who can squat 400lbs should be.

Unless you're specifically attempting to make your legs bulky, and gain muscle by eating at a calorie surplus, then you're going to be pretty safe on that front. You're not going to accidentally become a bodybuilder. haha

Even if you do notice that they're gaining more bulk than you'd like all you'd have to do is deload down to a lighter weight, or quit lifting altogether for a little bit.

haha yeah I did wonder why mehdi's legs weren't gigantic. i know i won't turn into a bodybuilder overnight, I just figure I'd ask in case that lady wasn't spouting complete broscience. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You need to tell that woman to turn in her certification because she's an idiot.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

haha yeah I did wonder why mehdi's legs weren't gigantic. i know i won't turn into a bodybuilder overnight, I just figure I'd ask in case that lady wasn't spouting complete broscience. :)

Yeah, I'd pretty much label it as such. I can see where she's coming from as people tend to say low reps + high weight = bulk, but she really has zero idea what you're doing. Not only that, you're eating at a caloric deficit from what your profile states, so you're definitely not going to be gaining much (see also: any) muscle past negligible noob gains.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You lost me at hello. Well, technically not hello, but the the part where you're a woman that started lifting last month and you're squatting 200 pounds for 5 reps. That's the part where I got...distracted.

I have no idea what's going on with that right there, but no matter, lifting heavy for 15 to 25 total reps per day (3-5 sets of 5) while in a deficit isn't making anyone bulky.

Oh, and no amount of reps is going to make you taller. Don't listen to that person.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Do the program.

You committed to doing stronglifts, eh? Do the program as prescribed. Tell the trainer to go defecate in their most favored head cover.
  • dbmata
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Oh, and no amount of reps is going to make you taller. Don't listen to that person.
    I did have someone tell me that deadlifting and squatting too heavy will make you shorter.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    You lost me at hello. Well, technically not hello, but the the part where you're a woman that started lifting last month and you're squatting 200 pounds for 5 reps. That's the part where I got...distracted.

This^^ A 200 pound squat 5x5 is strong for a female lifter. If you are hitting proper depth, my hat goes off to you! You won't be adding muscle in a deficit anyway, but even at maintenance calories 5x5 is just fine.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a 5 rep 200lb squat. You're strong as hell. Not to criticize stronglifts, but if you're lifting in a calorie deficit and trying to lose fat you'd likely be better served training in a higher rep range with shorter rest periods. Yes your legs will hurt more afterwards, but you'll burn more calories during and for many hours afterward. Either way, your legs won't grow much in a deficit. Ignore completely if strength gains are your only goal, then continue with your current program. Good luck.
  • dbmata
    Options
    feralX wrote: »
    ... but you'll burn more calories during and for many hours afterward...
    Based on what other than the caloric burn value of a rep?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Haven't read replies, but assuming you're in a caloric deficit, hypertrophy range (10+ reps) is difficult to maintain. I have been doing 3-5 reps for months now. The few times I've tried hypertrophy reps my legs really burned but I also couldn't keep it up for my next few sessions.

Generally speaking, higher rep range is NOT recommended for caloric deficits because a) your recovery and energy is lower than when at maintenance/bulking, making low rep/high weight more manageable, and b) you are not eating enough to actually benefit from high rep ranges int he same way you'll benefit from lower rep ranges as you are not eating enough to build muscle.

And with regards to the 200lb squat, just wondering OP. Are you, as others mentioned, doing full reps? I.e. going parallel? If not then I recommend lowering the weight and going parallel. I had to deload maybe 20lbs in the summer because I was basically just doing half reps and decided I'd rather deload than ego lift. Also, are you using the SMITH machine? If so, pleaaaaase stop using it. THe amount you'll be able to squat on a smith machine will not translate well to the amount you'll be able to squat in a cage/rack because you don't stabilize yourself and the weight when using a smith machine. I ask this because if you truly started a month ago without any prior experience in lifting (unless you've done other sports that have really allowed you to build up some mad lower body strength) then I'd assume you're using a smith machine, and I really only recommend smith machines for inverted rows and coatracks.
  • feralX
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    feralX wrote: »
    ... but you'll burn more calories during and for many hours afterward...
    Based on what other than the caloric burn value of a rep?
    Higher reps,moderate weight, short rest periods = higher intensity, higher total amount of weight lifted, more energy expended during, higher Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC).
    I'd equate low rep strength training with long rest periods to steady state cardio, higher reps shorter rest periods to HIIT cardio.
    I've trained both ways, intensity is the way to go if you want to get lean.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Is there research showing that there is much value to EPOC? That was more what I was leaning towards with my question... I should have been more clear.
  • feralX
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Haven't read replies, but assuming you're in a caloric deficit, hypertrophy range (10+ reps) is difficult to maintain. I have been doing 3-5 reps for months now. The few times I've tried hypertrophy reps my legs really burned but I also couldn't keep it up for my next few sessions.

Generally speaking, higher rep range is NOT recommended for caloric deficits because a) your recovery and energy is lower than when at maintenance/bulking, making low rep/high weight more manageable, and b) you are not eating enough to actually benefit from high rep ranges int he same way you'll benefit from lower rep ranges as you are not eating enough to build muscle.

And with regards to the 200lb squat, just wondering OP. Are you, as others mentioned, doing full reps? I.e. going parallel? If not then I recommend lowering the weight and going parallel. I had to deload maybe 20lbs in the summer because I was basically just doing half reps and decided I'd rather deload than ego lift. Also, are you using the SMITH machine? If so, pleaaaaase stop using it. THe amount you'll be able to squat on a smith machine will not translate well to the amount you'll be able to squat in a cage/rack because you don't stabilize yourself and the weight when using a smith machine. I ask this because if you truly started a month ago without any prior experience in lifting (unless you've done other sports that have really allowed you to build up some mad lower body strength) then I'd assume you're using a smith machine, and I really only recommend smith machines for inverted rows and coatracks.

Higher reps in a calorie deficit are harder, yes. As in most cases though, harder work generates better results. If you're having trouble getting through the workout, cycle your carb intake. Take in the bulk of your carbs preworkout to allow you to power through. The recovery process is where you'll burn the body fat.

As for the Smith squats. There's nothing wrong with them. Yes its a fixed path, but move your feet forward slightly and it's not an issue. No the amount you lift on the Smith will not directly translate to a free bar squat due to the stabilizers, so what? Unless you're a competitive lifter or trying to impress your friends...who cares? If you CAN back squat... great, but if for some reason you can't, the Smith is a viable alternative. You can still trash your legs and glutes, burn a ton of calories, or build strength, or build your muscles, whatever your goals. I haven't been under a straight bar for years due to shoulder issues, and the Smith has been key to my progress.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a woman doing stronglifts 5x5 and it's been a bit over a month since starting. I just have a few questions for those who are more experienced in lifting. First of all, a few days ago at the gym I was squatting around 200lbs and the gym receptionist(who is also a trainer) came up to me and told me that I shouldn't be squatting "that much weight" and that doing only 5 reps will make my legs bulky.... yes, the b word, and that I should do many more reps to get "toned and long muscles".... derp

My question is: should I do more reps/less sets such as 3x10 for my squats(I believe this is what she recommended) or should I continue with 5x5? My legs are definitely sore after doing all those reps, but after going back to 5x5 my legs don't get that sore, should I be concerned about that(perhaps I'm not working the muscles out enough?)

To get "bulky" you're gonna have to eat in excess of your maintenance calories. For a female to really get bulky (like bodybuilder bulky) they will need to introduce anabolic steroids into their supplements as well. Keep eating at maintenance or deficit (whatever you're doing) and squat-it-up. The Back Squat is one of the single best exercises you can do for overall strength development. Nowadays the buzz word is "functional strength" and there is nothing more functional than the Squat. If you're squatting 200lbs for 5, then good for you, keep at it and tell the secretary to go away next time. Or just tell her that you want to be bulky.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Is there research showing that there is much value to EPOC? That was more what I was leaning towards with my question... I should have been more clear.

EPOC is something at occurs after you train. Yes, there should be a ton of research out there about it; there was a big section in my physiology book a few chapters ago. LOL!
  • feralX
    Options
    Sorry, you're looking to the wrong guy if you want to discuss studies or research papers. It seems for every study that reaches one conclusion, there is another that has found the polar opposite, I don't waste my time. When I make a recommendation it's based on my own personal experience or on tried and true methods that have been in use for years.