Begging to run....again. Any advice?

Options
Any advice? I used to run a lot but I moved and had other life changes so I got out of it for almost a year now. I'm going to start tonight using the app I used before (Zombie 5k). Does anyone have some advice for starting over? Also if anyone is starting a new running schedule maybe add me and share with me? TIA

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I used the couch to 5k program and did it mostly on the treadmill, with a few outdoor runs. Just be patient and pace yourself. Be ok with running slower.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used to run about 15-20 miles a week on the street. Then I had kids!!! Finally they are older and in school so I started running again (this time on trails) about 6 months ago. I started by hiking, then hiking and running what I could, then running the whole thing. My runs were slow, I used a HRM to be aware of how hard I was pushing. At that point my longest was maaaaaybe 6 miles and I was doing 12-15 miles a week. As I got stronger I started working up more weekly miles and introducing one speed day a week, and increasing the length of my one long run. Just take your time and log what you do, (so you can track progress) & build up slowly.
  • Brooklyn703
    Brooklyn703 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I live in a city, so I started doing run a block..walk a block. I do about 3 miles and it's a good workout. If you live in the suburbs, run two mailboxes...walk two mailboxes.
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't run that much until the last few months. I started slow and ran/walked a mile. Then I would build up from there. Don't worry about your speed...it will eventually come. But I alternated my cardio with the elliptical as well. I would stream movies and watched them on the elliptical on the days I didn't want to run. Now, I run all of the time, averaging about 20 - 25 miles a week. My longest non-stop is 9 miles right now on the treadmill and 7 miles at the beach (hard sand).

My must-haves: good music on my iPod, running shoes, and an awesome sports bra.

You can do it. Just start slow, take your time, and push yourself only a little bit when you are ready.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    That zombie one sounds fun! It didn't work with my music programme though so I did a c25k style one. Do it :-)
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well ladies, I did it earlier tonight. I'm not as rusty as I thought I was (;
    Thanks for all the advice and kind, supporting words.
    I wish you all the best. Thanks again!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Just be aware, good shoes are the most important thing for running! I would go to a proper running shop and get your gait analysed. It is really worth the investment!
    Stef.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to keep in mind that you can't do what you did before. You really need to pretend that you're a first time runner so you don't risk overuse injury. Don't run more often than every other day, don't increase mileage by more than 10%, etc. Of course, if you follow the Zombies 5K app you shouldn't be in any danger but it's frustrating when you're slower than you were and get tired much sooner.

I re-started running in May after several months off for an injury and decided to give the Zombies 5K app a try. I already owned the original Zombies, Run! app so I thought it might be fun and I loved it! I was a little beyond the starter stuff so I'd flip the run and walk intervals, keep running instead of the knee lift/squat intervals or whatever. Since I started running 3.5 years ago I've been a run/walk intervals runner. I've completed more than a dozen half marathons and lots of smaller races using that method, usually at 3 minute run:1 minute walk intervals. Using the Zombies 5K app I worked to increase my running intervals. Yesterday I ran 8 miles in 1:31. I walked the first two minutes, ran the next 12 minutes and then shifted into 6 minute run:1 minute walk intervals for the remaining time. I think if I'd just decided to go back into it on my own I'd still be running 3:1, so I'm really happy I used the program. I'm now using the Zombies, Run! 3 app for my runs.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I think the most important thing is to keep in mind that you can't do what you did before. You really need to pretend that you're a first time runner so you don't risk overuse injury. Don't run more often than every other day, don't increase mileage by more than 10%, etc. Of course, if you follow the Zombies 5K app you shouldn't be in any danger but it's frustrating when you're slower than you were and get tired much sooner.

I re-started running in May after several months off for an injury and decided to give the Zombies 5K app a try. I already owned the original Zombies, Run! app so I thought it might be fun and I loved it! I was a little beyond the starter stuff so I'd flip the run and walk intervals, keep running instead of the knee lift/squat intervals or whatever. Since I started running 3.5 years ago I've been a run/walk intervals runner. I've completed more than a dozen half marathons and lots of smaller races using that method, usually at 3 minute run:1 minute walk intervals. Using the Zombies 5K app I worked to increase my running intervals. Yesterday I ran 8 miles in 1:31. I walked the first two minutes, ran the next 12 minutes and then shifted into 6 minute run:1 minute walk intervals for the remaining time. I think if I'd just decided to go back into it on my own I'd still be running 3:1, so I'm really happy I used the program. I'm now using the Zombies, Run! 3 app for my runs.

I love the app. I've had to restart it so much that I just know the story line already so that sucks. But in terms of how helpful it is..it's the best. I did C25K before and hated it. I was excited to find this one. I got as far as week 7 before I moved so I was super frustrated at having to start over as many times as I have. I took it easy last night and was impressed that I ran more for the free form than I thought I would have. I didn't feel exhausted or anything (: