When getting sick disrupts your exercise routine

Options
segacs
segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
So I caught a nasty cold that morphed into a sinus infection... I will probably be down for the count for another couple of weeks at least. Needless to say, the gym is not an option -- heck, I can barely stand up without feeling dizzy and exhausted.

I'm doing my best to rest and recover. But I feel like I'm so slothful just lazing around, and I am worried about losing any strength I've built up, and having to restart at zero.

What do you all suggest when colds, flus or other illnesses mess with your workout routine?

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Get healthy, then get back to it. Unless you're off your exercise for weeks, you're not going to lose much.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Head colds I tend to press through.

When it starts to effect all other functions, lifts feel totally gassed- I'm dizzy- or coughing a so much I can't stand up... that's when I start to dial back. I was pretty much in the same boat- cold- that wouldn't go- 4 weeks later- I'm out sick again with a sinus infection that's - even with antibiotics- still lingering.

Personally I put lifting on hold b/c being under the weather and my dance show were more than enough- I couldn't risk beating my body up anymore. But- I'm 5 days of antibiotics in and still not 100% and past my show and dance has settled down.

But At some point if you're up and going to work- making the attempt to do some sort of workout is manageable- then do it. Go for a walk/yog/light weights- whatever you feel is best. I'm still sucking massive wind- I'm back on track- but my lifts all feel inexhaustibly heavy- my regular 45-60 min workout is taking me easily an hour and a half- more rest time- more sucking wind.

But I don't have anything else to do this day- so I can recover- days when I have more to do- I will dial back the weights.
  • segacs
    Options
    Yeah, the trouble is, I'm likely to be off exercise for a few weeks.

This always seems to happen every time I start an exercise program. I'll be going along fine for a month or two, I get sick, I get thrown off my program, and I can't get back into it.

I really don't want that to happen this time. But I don't really know what to do.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Not getting back into it is completely up to you. It is your decision to continue after you're healthy.

Also, if you're trying to lose weight, don't forget to modify your calorie intake levels down while you're sick, and not doing anything.
  • segacs
    Options
    Also, if you're trying to lose weight, don't forget to modify your calorie intake levels down while you're sick, and not doing anything.

Yeah, that's no problem 'cause I have zero appetite anyway. The challenge for me right now is getting enough calories and nutrients so I can stand a better chance of fighting this thing, even though I have no desire to eat.

*Sigh*. Being sick sucks.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I still exercise when I have a cold. If I am dizzy or vomiting, I skip it.

I don't recommend working out when dizzy. It could be dangerous. Rest up and take the time your body needs. When you feel up to it, the gym will be there.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Yeah, the trouble is, I'm likely to be off exercise for a few weeks.

This always seems to happen every time I start an exercise program. I'll be going along fine for a month or two, I get sick, I get thrown off my program, and I can't get back into it.

I really don't want that to happen this time. But I don't really know what to do.

Well I guess it depends how sick you are? If it's likes just a sinus infection you might need some antibiotics and you will be good to go in 5 days. I can't think of many cold type infections that would put you out for more than a week. Then get back on it :-)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Have you actually tried your workout while sick? You mentioned being out for a couple weeks, that sounds like a pretty serious sickness. Have you been hospitalized? If not, then maybe give it a shot. Personally, I can't remember skipping even one workout in the last few years due to being sick. Granted, the only things I've gotten were colds, bronchitis and stomach bugs though. It's never affected my workouts, personally. In fact, it made me feel better.

Getting sick is part of life and it happens to everyone, don't let it derail you.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty head cold right now, and I am going to take a deload week this week. If you are sick, stay out of the gym. The other people who are there will appreciate it. Your body needs to be fighting whatever sickness you have and does not need the added stress that you put on it when you are going to workout. Let it heal, then get back after it.