How to add a HIIT workout to my daily log?

Hi all, first post here! I want to add a 12-minute HIIT workout I did to my daily exercise log, but am not sure how. There are no "HIIT" listings in the database, and I know it burns more calories than just "aerobic/high-impact" or similar workout. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    try other online activity calculators and then manually add your entry.
  • cowgirish
    cowgirish Posts: 3 Member
    Any suggestions for a good one? I tried to find one but didn't - thanks.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    when i get stuck with an activity i can't find, i usually google and use a few calculators and then use the average. It's not perfect, but if you want exact you'll need a HRM.
  • cowgirish
    cowgirish Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks. I can't find any HIIT calorie calculators, so have no idea how to add this... any ideas are appreciated. Using a calculator would I use "aerobic" activity for this category? Thanks...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    HIIT has become a big fad name applied to anything where you go maximum effort. Even though that type of exercise has existed for ages. If you did body weight - it's called calisthenics in the database.

If you used weights, it's probably circuit training.

And HIIT if done correctly is specifically not aerobic for portions, with portions aerobic. It's interval training with some activity that could normally be done constant level for long period, like riding or running.
    Which is so strange to apply it to exercise that would never be done that way, is has always been a matter of do some reps, rest, repeat.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    I do Hiit Videos from youtube and the man whose videos they are state you can burn from 700 to 800 calories in an hour depending on how heavy you are and if you push yourself hard enough. That seems abit high to me so i just log500 calories for the hour just to be on safe side.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited November 2014
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    I do Hiit Videos from youtube and the man whose videos they are state you can burn from 700 to 800 calories in an hour depending on how heavy you are and if you push yourself hard enough. That seems abit high to me so i just log500 calories for the hour just to be on safe side.

HIIT for an hour? Very much doubt it's HIIT then!
    Sounds more like a trainer hanging the current fashionable term on their workout routine to help promote it.

OP - You could use a HRM if you already own one but the numbers are likely to be pretty random as that's not what HRMs are "good" at. Anything outside of steady state cardio is just a guestimate. For a 12 minute workout you don't really have to worry about the accuracy too much - everything in this game is an estimate!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    I log mine as 'circuit training - general'. I don't quite believe that I burn nigh on 500 cals/hour doing it (which is what mfp gives me), so I knock 100 off for good measure.