Ranting about sizes- does this happen to you?

Options
I have lost 20 pounds - 14 in MFP-

I have gone down a 1/ 1/2 size , and feel much fitter than before. In the last months I have kinda just gone with the flow not really trying to reach any goals but mostly just maintaining. I think i tell myself that I have so far achieved something therefore I can chill for a while and not push as much. Due to the 20 pounds lost I'm not longer XL , I mostly fit into Large or even medium .

It's funny how i look in the mirrow and I dont really see myself as big as I look in pictures or videos. It seems to be the opposite of anorexia I hope I'm explaning myself right. On Saturday there I was feeling quite slimmer and some pics where taken ..my heart broke when I saw how big i still look. I was given two shirts as souveniers and they are both XL. and that;s the hush reality!

People see me and choose and XL to fit me . The day that someone give me a M or S than I will know I have really made a chance...I need step up . This is not all about sizes ...it's mostly about admiting that there is more work to be done.

There is mirrows that make us look slimmer too right? ? or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was JUST talking about this yesterday! Pictures are awful, but when I look at myself in the mirror I do feel like I look smaller and my clothes are telling me that I am. Ugh! Hang in there, keep working hard and you'll get to where you want to be!
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was JUST talking about this yesterday! Pictures are awful, but when I look at myself in the mirror I do feel like I look smaller and my clothes are telling me that I am. Ugh! Hang in there, keep working hard and you'll get to where you want to be!

right! I know this Month of May I will make it count!:smile:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 pounds over the past two and a half years and still see myself as large-ish. No matter that I can fit into a size 8 - all I see are the "batwings" and "back fat" that I didn't have when I was 16. Okay, I'm more than 30 years later than that but it still doesn't help much.

I stopped relying on my own view. It never works. In my dance classes, I take off my glasses so that I can keep the image in my head pure! LOL!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The camera always adds weight! Plus no one likes their own picture!:noway:
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I have this picture in my head of what I think I look like, then I see myself in the mirror and think, "Who is that old, fat woman?" My husband tells me all the time how sexy he finds me, and how beautiful he thinks I am, then I look at myself and wonder how in the world he can see me that way. I think it is just that we are always our own worst critics and hardest on ourselves. I'm working to change that mindset, you can, too. We have to remind ourselves how far we've come, how much healthier we are, and we know what size we wear, even if others are way off! :flowerforyou:
  • rjgazray
    rjgazray Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One thing that has really helped me is documenting my journey with photos. Because then I really can see that this all has made such a difference in my body. I still have those moments when someone takes my picture and I see it later and cringe...but I know a lot of that is psychological and me just having a hard time accepting myself. Either way, I'm continuing to fight to better myself and am excited to see where I can go.
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    I feel the same way. Actually before I even decided to lose weight I never felt THAT big until I saw pictures.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean...the opposite of anorexia...I have thought of it like that as well. I especially hate having my picture taken with my husband because he is thin, handsome and young looking and I look like his mom sitting next to him (well, not really, because his mom was real thin too).
  • locomotion
    locomotion Posts: 67
    Options
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It does happen to me and I hate it! Having said that, I read last week that about 80% of women aged 18-30 underestimate how big they are, in terms of weight (although I can't say I know anyone who doesn't check this obsessively), clothing size, size in inches around and their appearance (how others see them), so I'm aiming to get so the photos look okay, because that's what other people see, right?!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It takes a long time to change our self-image in our heads. It can work either way--you can see yourself as larger or smaller than you are in your mind's eye.

It took me about a year to believe my actual size when I lost this weight the first time--I was always grabbing sizes that were too large and then having to go back for the smaller one. I bumped into things pretty frequently, too, as I had lost all concept of how much space I actually occupied.

This phenomenon also explains why even years after you've lost weight (or gained it) people whom you rarely see will ask if you've lost or gained; they're still comparing what they see in front of them with their mental image of you.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Oh I so know how you feel. I have reverse anorexia too. We have to try not to let it beat us down but see it as a motivator.:smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    All the time! I think it's true that the camera adds pounds. Even though I know I am not fat I sometimes see pictures of myself where I think ARGH! Because I am not thin either. I think we are so used to seeing pictures of really thin people.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would not take the shirt thing personally!! I was out with my boyfriend this weekend, and we were at a bar where they give out shirts, and they gave him a medium and myself a large. He weighs 60lbs more than me, and i am very petite! I am sure it was just a thoughtless act.

And, that is so awesome that you see yourself in the mirror and think "fabulous." That is about 100 times better than meeting any weight goal, and i envy you! :)
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Trust me, I know what you are taking about. I look in the mirror in the morning and think "Wow, looking pretty good today!" then I see a picture of myself, and um, yeah. I am really fat.