is this weird?

Options
I dont know if I'm the only one out there, so was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
I never used to eat breakfast and could quite easily go until about 1:30 or even 2:00 without eating. probably not that healthy i know, but for some reason I was feeling fine and I'd just eat a bigger lunch.

Since I've started eating breakfast I've felt I wake up feeling hungry and needing breakfast. I also get hungry earlier, like I am really hungry by 10:30 - 11:00 which i never was before. I do understand that eating regular meals and snacking throughout the day is healthy, but it just feels as though i am constantly hungry since I have started eating breakfast.

Any advice/similar stories would be really appreciated :)

Replies

• Hankait
    Hankait Posts: 1
    Options
    I have experienced the exact same thing. I think it may be because when you eat breakfast you wake your metabolism up so it starts to work faster and you are therefore hungrier earlier, rather than letting it just do nothing till lunchtime. This is just a gues but when i thought about it it makes sense cos the experts tell you to eat smaller meals more frequently to keep your metabolism up.

Hope this helps???

:smile:
  • thekern
    thekern Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't think it's weird. (At least, I hope not!) I'm not super fond of breakfast food, and I usually don't have time to eat it anyway, so I usually skip it. When I do eat breakfast though, I get hungry a lot earlier too.
    Hopefully a nutritionist or some other expert can give us an answer!
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the exact same thing. I think it may be because when you eat breakfast you wake your metabolism up so it starts to work faster and you are therefore hungrier earlier, rather than letting it just do nothing till lunchtime. This is just a gues but when i thought about it it makes sense cos the experts tell you to eat smaller meals more frequently to keep your metabolism up.

Hope this helps???

:smile:

Totally agree! If you’re hungry you should eat, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode, which causes your body to hang on to fat for fuel. I used to eat only one large meal a day and I’m pretty sure that’s partly why I gained so much weight.
  • Jesseocc
    Jesseocc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well ive read that the idea that eating Breakfast increases your metabolism is in fact, I dont not know for a fact that is indeed true. However I do know that i have the same problem, and i do find that drinking penty of of water, of im my case lots of water while eating breakfast and throughout the morning is quite helpful to this problem.... this is from a synopsis from a belgian study...

"Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, and the larger the breakfast, the better. But new research from Munich suggested that the more calories the person consumes for breakfast, the more calories that person will consume throughout the day for lunch and dinner. And now, it just so happens that the fastest way to lose weight might be to eat breakfast after working out in the morning."
  • johnthefatman
    johnthefatman Posts: 205
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast? A low GI breakfast (oats without refined sugar added is the obvious one) will keep you feeling full for much longer than a typical sweet cereal.
  • Evjones28
    Evjones28 Posts: 70
    Options
    Yes, same thing happened to me. I rarely ate breakfast til on diet and could go without eating all day, just ate dinner. But when i ate breakfast i was starving by 11 and my stomach was growling louder than i talked (embarrassing) and wanted to eat everything in site. It is a plus to see metabolism pick up so well. I just make sure i have a banana or yogurt now. :happy:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    They call it breakfast because it is designed to "break the fast". While you sleep, your body isn't getting any food. So, technically by morning you are fasting. By eating breakfast, you break that fast and get your metabolism started. They say it is the most important meal of the day and I think they're probably right. I never used to eat breakfast (well, unless cake and Mt Dew count...lol) and would go until 1, 2 or 3pm before I would eat. Then I would want to gorge because I was starving. Now, I try and eat within 15 mins of waking up - even if it is something small like a yogurt, banana or protein shake. Let me tell you that I feel way better now that I eat as soon as I wake up.
  • artist797
    artist797 Posts: 2
    Options
    ooo I used to get really bad hunger signals around 4 am before breakfast that would keep me awake, probably because I was anticipating the yummy breakfasts being prepared at my dining commons. I think what changed things for me was breaking my breakfast up into smaller portions in the morning; having a cup of cheerios after waking up, and then a couple of hours later, a piece of fruit, veggies, or something filling.
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater. Because of my job, I usually wake up at about noon... So, I end up skipping breakfast. I wonder if it would help if I woke up earlier and actually ate breakfast.. haha
  • Hbartels
    Hbartels Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've taken several nutrition courses in my college career so I feel I can answer this pretty easily for you. Think of your metabolism like a fire place. If there's no kindling in it, it's cold and dormant. Your body is in "starvation mode" and is saving as much as it can. Now, if you just dump a bunch of logs in an empty fireplace and light them, you will get some fire going but it won't be a very good one. When you dump a big meal on an empty stomach that is in "starvation mode", your body tries to save as much of what you've put in it as it can because it doesn't know what it will be getting more energy. You digest these meals really poorly and will gain more weight from eating this way. Ideally, you want to start a fire with kindling; in other words, put something smallish (by our American standards) in your stomach when you wake up to get the fire going, This kindling will burn up pretty quickly, so you have to keep putting more on the fire. This is why you feel hungrier when you eat breakfast. You body gets to work, uses up that food and needs more energy sooner to keep that metabolism burning. Don't fight it, food is your friend. Just recalibrate yourself to eating smaller meals more frequently throughout your day. If you let yourself go too long, you'll eat way too much and be more likely to make worse food choices when it happens.
    By the way, this is the same reason we're supposed to "eat our exercise calories". If our net calories get to low, that "starvation mode" will kick back in and you'll hit a weight loss plateau.
    I hope this helps!
  • JJ_27
    JJ_27 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks heaps guys, for all your replies! the analogy of the fire place is really helpful and makes a lot of sense. i never thought about it like that before.

i generally just eat toast for breakfast because i dont think Im really a fan of oatmeal/porridge - never really tried it, but i think i might give it a go!!
    thanks again :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps guys, for all your replies! the analogy of the fire place is really helpful and makes a lot of sense. i never thought about it like that before.

i generally just eat toast for breakfast because i dont think Im really a fan of oatmeal/porridge - never really tried it, but i think i might give it a go!!
    thanks again :)

You don't have to limit yourself to traditional 'breakfast foods'. Eat whatever you want to for breakfast, as long as it's not overloaded with simple carbs and does contain some protein and fiber.
  • vladvn
    vladvn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    no, it's not weird. at all.
    i have experiences the same phenomenon. you cranked up your metabolic rate and you can enjoy some additional benefits out of it.