BMI of 18 - look pregnant

Options
I'm 5"1 and my lowest weight recently has been 95lbs, achieved from eating around 1500 calorie per day and working out. This may seem quite low, however I still have a disproportionately large stomach. I know that I have to lose fat from there, but if I lose another pound I'm classified as underweight? It literally looks like I'd have to lose another 10lbs to get a relatively flat stomach, but 85lbs is obviously too little.
I'm currently trying to gain muscle through bodyweight fitness. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to reduce stomach fat without becoming underweight?

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Probably a stupid question, but are you definately not pregnant?

Secondly, are you sure it's that bad? everyone has flaws they see in themselves that others don't notice or care about.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    strength training is what changes body composition. and if you wanna gain weight you gotta eat at some sort of surplus

• moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A couple random things: you may be skinny fat and just apple shaped in general. You could be lacking muscle too. Do you have a very small frame? I was assuming that you're Asian/of Asian descent by your username. Considering this, I've read that BMI doesn't apply the same way to most Asian people since they tend to be of smaller stature. Perhaps try googling that?

Is it also possible that you've just developed a skewed view of your body too? A lot of times losing weight can mean that we don't get a realistic view of how our bodies look. Posting pictures would help us judge for ourselves.
  • kasumi_goto
    Options
    Definitely not pregnant xD
    My Mom is apple-shaped so I guess I got it from her. I'm not Asian, and I feel like I actually have quite a large build for my height. Unfortunately I really do think that it's actually bad, especially after I eat/drink something. It's disheartening cause after losing 28 pounds everything has gotten smaller except my stomach. I thought that it would have changed by now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My Mom is apple-shaped so I guess I got it from her. I'm not Asian, and I feel like I actually have quite a large build for my height. Unfortunately I really do think that it's actually bad, especially after I eat/drink something. It's disheartening cause after losing 28 pounds everything has gotten smaller except my stomach. I thought that it would have changed by now.

have you got any pictures? sounds like its probably just a bit of bloating after you eat?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

it could be because you're so thin / malnourished - malnourished people have pot bellies unfortunately

if it's food related it could just be bloat - do you really think that people's stomachs don't pop out a little after they've eaten /drunk - that's simply normal but more obvious on you because you are such a low weight

have you done weight training / developed stomach muscles?
  • kasumi_goto
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym so I've just been doing pilates, push-ups etc. I don't know if I've actually developed my stomach muscles yet. My stomach has always been disproportionately large so I don't think that it's due to undernourishment. I'll post a picture in a little while.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you see your stomach as being big but no one else will. A lot to do with bloating, how you stand and muscle tone. You can do bodyweight exercises which will help (check out beginners workout in NerdFitness) and work on doing planks (best thing outside weight lifting for tummy).
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym so I've just been doing pilates, push-ups etc. I don't know if I've actually developed my stomach muscles yet. My stomach has always been disproportionately large so I don't think that it's due to undernourishment. I'll post a picture in a little while.

squats help tighten up the abdomen i think. also look up beginner ballerina exercises. they're great for stretching and toning. and that's good that you think it's not from malnourishment, but as a thinner person i have found that my tummy actually looked a bit more bloated/bigger after losing 20 pounds! i was like what? but then i was like oh yeaaaa organs. duh. they gotta go somewhere (well not that they went anywhere at all, just the appearance was more noticeable after weight loss. if that makes sense). and as you get less wide, well. it happens. and the smaller you are, the more your bloat stands out, even though it's 100% normal. just keep at it with toning. everyone has a bit of squish on their tum :)
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do you have bad posture or possibly a sway back or scholiosis? That can give you the appearance of a protruding stomach. You should see your GP and they might recommend you to see a physiotherapist. It can be very difficult to recognise posture issues in yourself. There is no way you have a large stomach from a weight problem, however.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Post a picture of this?

A lot of "big belly" stuff that happens at that height/weight is due to simple bad posture, specifically lumbar lordosis.