No idea where to post this, but... dieting during pregnancy?

Options
DalexD
DalexD Posts: 236 Member
I'm fat. I'm trying to not be fat. I've also just found out that I'm pregnant. Not that big of a surprise since we've been trying for a while, but I've not lost all the baby weight from having my son almost a year ago. Do I still just diet as usual? What should my calorie allowance be like? I have no idea where to look for this information. :\

Replies

• NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be "dieting" while pregnant, no. Unless you're under your doctor's care and he/she says it's safe for YOU. You need to get your doc's opinion. I, personally, when I was pregnant with my son, kept to around 1500 calories a day unless I was hungry, I ate more. Where as if I was not pregnant, I'd have had some water or something.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor and a good nutritionist about this!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor about your plans.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    If you are not at a "healthy" weight, there is no reason you can't work toward getting to a "healthy" weight during pregnancy. Just do it in a safe manner. Ask your OB/GYN for advice.
  • mom2mcjc
    mom2mcjc Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat with my son. The OB sent me to a registered dietician, who gave me a meal plan that kept my weight gain to a minimum (I think about 16-18 pounds at term). After birth, I found I had actually lost a little weight from the time of conception. The key is to have enough nutrients and calories so that you are not robbing your body of anything. You still need to have energy with that baby!! :)
  • sarahelizaaaa
    sarahelizaaaa Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Do not diet. Just some general guidelines I use w/ my clients: if your pre-pregnancy weight is considered overweight then you only need to gain 15-25 lbs during your pregnancy. If you're considered obese, you only need to gain 11-20 lbs. Some women gain less than that. Talk with your OB and he/she will give you a target weight gain and discuss a plan w/ you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    DalexD wrote: »
    I'm fat. I'm trying to not be fat. I've also just found out that I'm pregnant. Not that big of a surprise since we've been trying for a while, but I've not lost all the baby weight from having my son almost a year ago. Do I still just diet as usual? What should my calorie allowance be like? I have no idea where to look for this information. :\

you and your baby's doctor is the first choice. A lot of The people here cannot even agree on whether to drink soda or eat after 7 pm. Please do not get your pregnancy information from strangers on the internet.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    There are nutritional guidelines for during pregnancy. I'm not sure where to look for the most recent recommendations.

I had the opposite problem during both of my pregnancies but nutrition needs for the baby don't change.

This is from webmd:

Goals for Healthy Eating When Pregnant

Eat a variety of foods to get all the nutrients you need. Recommended daily servings include 6-11 servings of breads and grains, two to four servings of fruit, four or more servings of vegetables, four servings of dairy products, and three servings of protein sources (meat, poultry, fish, eggs or nuts). Use fats and sweets sparingly.
    Choose foods high in fiber that are enriched, such as whole-grain breads, cereals, pasta and rice, as well as fruits and vegetables.
    Make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals in your daily diet while pregnant. You should take a prenatal vitamin supplement to make sure you are consistently getting enough vitamins and minerals every day. Your doctor can recommend an over-the-counter brand or prescribe a prenatal vitamin for you.
    Eat and drink at least four servings of dairy products and calcium-rich foods a day to help ensure that you are getting 1000-1300 mg of calcium in your daily diet during pregnancy.
    Eat at least three servings of iron-rich foods, such as lean meats, spinach, beans, and breakfast cereals each day to ensure you are getting 27 mg of iron daily.
    While you're pregnant, you will need 250 micrograms of iodine a day to help ensure your baby's brain and nervous system development. Choose from a variety of dairy products -- milk, cheese (especially cottage cheese), yogurt -- as well as baked potatoes, cooked navy beans, and limited amounts -- 8 to 12 oz per week -- of seafood such as cod, salmon, and shrimp.
    Choose at least one good source of vitamin C every day, such as oranges, grapefruits, strawberries, honeydew, papaya, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green peppers, tomatoes, and mustard greens. Pregnant women need 70 mg of vitamin C a day.
    Choose at least one good source of folic acid every day, like dark green leafy vegetables, veal, and legumes (lima beans, black beans, black-eyed peas and chickpeas). Every pregnant woman needs at least 0.4 mg of folic acid per day to help prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida.
    Choose at least one source of vitamin A every other day. Sources of vitamin A include carrots, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, spinach, water squash, turnip greens, beet greens, apricots, and cantaloupe.

• DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't asking for a strict plan, I know not to put my baby's health at risk and I lost 4 stone through diet and exercise previously so I know what I'm doing. I just didn't know if there were any specific guidelines for pregnancy that I couldn't find.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just had a baby 7 months ago. I was already obese when I got pregnant I weighed 235. I gained 15. Not really was it intentional but I knew I should not gain to much. I listened to my body and he loved me to snack on fruit or I would feel sick. I could not drink any soda except grape or orange bc of heartburn. I could not eat alot of foods bc of heartburn. So I kept small frequent meals. I ate veggies fruit yogurt and fats some meats too. Your body will tell you what you can have and the baby will too, if a food makes you less queasy eat it. If you need more water drink it. You need lots of healthy fats in the first months of the development of the brain and vital organs. Also a good guide is to eat as you would while breastfeeding lots of nutritious foods. No junk foods, chocolates, or fast foods and limit caffeine. You can add me if you like!