Weight is not coming off....Why??

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly suggest it.

You know, even a used one is fine. They aren't 100% accurate, but they'll get you 80% of the way there. Working intervals with one can be quite enlightening.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    HRM are a nice tool to have, but they are inaccurate also. They'll give you an accurate number of heart beats per minute, but converting heart beats to calories is just an estimate. I've heard that Endomondo runs on the high side. I've seen the same problem with MapMyRide, so I just tell it that I weigh less than I do so it will report a calories burned number that is more consistent with other estimating tools.

The most accurate method for determining calories burned is to measure your oxygen usage while exercising. But most of us don't have ready access to the required equipment.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd say a bike ride like that would burn around 350-400 calories, max. I've used a HRM for spinning before. While I appreciate spinning is indoors, there are no hills, just resistance, and no wind or anything to worry about, but it's close enough. I burned about 350 calories in 45 mins of hardcore spinning.

Maybe vary your exercise a bit. If you cycle a lot your body is probably used to it. I second strength training.

I also agree with logging food and weighing to to be accurate, although some people do take it a bit far.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    colindp wrote: »
    Rarely, mostly due to sticking to advice from dietitian....only my evening meal would be subject to weighing

that's your problem - you don't know how many calories you're eating
    -
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Chiming in to agree that your calories burned estimate for cycling is on the high side--probably by at least 2x.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    The math is absolute. Calories in - calories out = weight gain or loss. If you are not losing weight, one of your numbers is off. Period.
    Quotes like this always bother me - they also tend to come from the less experienced in life. NOTHING is absolute about weight loss. Any number of factors could have changed - blood pressure, muscle mass and water retention to name a few. You can't measure someone over the internet - it's about as accurate as a BMI which is also complete crap. He is asking for assistance not a lecture from a child who thinks she has the world figured out as much as her Pokemon. The lecturing way you posted this is unhelpful - that is ABSOLUTE.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    The math is absolute. Calories in - calories out = weight gain or loss. If you are not losing weight, one of your numbers is off. Period.

If you are logging your food correctly, maybe you are overestimating your exercise (it is veeery unlikely that you are burning 1000+ calories in 40 minutes of cycling), or perhaps MFP's tdee calculation for you is incorrect (there are multiple formulas, it might be wise to seek out a few calculators yourself).

I agree that the math doesn't lie; if you're burning more than you're consuming your body will lose it.

Also, it is really really unlikely to burn 1,000+ calories in 40 minutes. I do an hour of spin which is pretty intense and MFP tells me I burn 954 calories, but I half that to ensure I'm not going over my limits for the day.

I think you're over estimating what you burn.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Out of interest, what do you eat in an average day? If you're eating pre-packaged stuff it's not necessarily the most healthy. Maybe try changing what you eat. 2 months is long enough to tell it's not working. Although have you taken measurements as well as weighing yourself?

I do agree that weight loss isn't always that simple. I lose weight pretty slowly, and I do use a food scale, and I'm very active, and I see people on my friends list eat more, and more junk, and yet they lose more quickly than I do. We all have different metabolisms.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Given that you have been plateaued for 2 months it's unlikely at this point to be fluid retention in my opinion. Might still be possible of course, but I have my doubts.

The most likely scenario is that you're eating at maintenance.

I would examine your logging and tracking habits (food scale use, consistency, etc) and if that doesn't solve the problem I'd consider a slight reduction in calories.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well here's the thing - some, yes only some, people can get away with varying factors to explain why the weight isn't coming off. However, the number of people who claim to have metabolic disorders vs the number of people who actually do is very high. The simple fact, for the majority of people, is that if you're eating too much you gain weight (or you won't lose, whichever way you want to look at it). If this man's math is off by let's say 300 cal. which another poster already said his tracking device could be off by that puts him at burning what he's consumed. And that changes a whole heck of a lot. Also, if his math is right his deficit is in the thousands and he should be experiencing symptoms of organ shut down/failure and hair loss, sallow skin, zero energy, etc. Also what those who have been anorexic for along time experience. And the damage is irreversible at this rate.

I highly doubt he would have the energy to keep going if his numbers were right. It's not bad that they're wrong, it just answers why he isn't dropping.

Further, if you aren't weighing your food you are more than likely consuming more than you think you are. I was until I started weighing and realized what a portion of this or that looks like.

Don't be rude - many people use these varying factors to explain, politely, that they're just eating too much. Ever heard of starvation mode, eat more to lose, etc. It doesn't work the way many people think it does but yet so many people are using it as a reason they aren't losing when in fact they're probably eating more than they think now. It's not being rude, it's being honest.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    drawing a line under all this

to get out of your plateau you need to

weigh and log your food accurately
    track your exercise more appropriately - using an HRM would be good for steady-state cycling - or just map your distance and log on MFP but eat back 50 - 75%

you can do it - it's frustrating when you plateau - it just takes renewed effort and focus

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Extremely helpful article. It uses humor to make a point, but those points are valid. Go through them in order.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    When I plateau, like most people that replied, I suspect my calories IN and calories OUT calculations are off. Sometimes, I will stop exercise for 7 days, so I have no calories OUT to track. This simplifies tracking, and if I begin losing, I know I've over estimating calories burned. If don't begin losing, the next step would be to lower calories IN by 100-200 per day and go another 7 days without exercise. Then gradually bring back exercise. The online calculators are nice, but you can sort this problem out by isolation and adjustments. I recommend using a HRM, even if they are only 80% accurate, that is far better than being off by 300%

best of luck!

63227838.png
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Is the OP eating back exercise calories though? If not, the calories he burns/thinks he burns are irrelevant really. I don't ever eat back exercise calories.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    colindp wrote: »
    Hi,

Desperation is now setting in...the details....I am a 55 yr old male current weight is 114kg.

OK, so it's not all bad I started out at 124kg and a trip to the doctors to see what was the best way to ward off type 2 diabetes, I have been reasonably active for a while but due to a significant knee trauma a year ago mobility has been seriously affected hence the 124kg.
    So my doctor undertook blood testing...nothing there....sent me to a dietitian got loads of good advice.

I have for a number of years commuted to work by bicycle but again due to knee injury this had to be put on hold...however I was finally able to get back seriously riding again and my commute each day totals 35km and burns around 2100 calories I often try to get a longer ride in at the weekend with the maximum distance covered so far being 64km and burned over 3,000 calories. However for the last two months I have failed to lose a single gram considering I am following dietitian advice and sticking to their programme, I guess my daily intake is around 1800.
    So to recap burning approx 2100 per day, intake approx 1800 per day...weight loss per week 0???
    Anyone out there got any ideas...please!!!

Thanks
    Colin....

i know how it feels and i was stuck on a big plateau and this past week it has started to go down again, because im actually eating a bit more... i think it is all about changing things up a bit. i was so frustrated i wanted to lose just even 0.5lb to prove it to myself that things are still moving and now it is~~ just try something a bit new :smile: i actually did the 5:2 last week and i think it kick started me. current im back to doing what i was when i first started losing weight and its working again. stick to what you know and let your body tell you. it will budge~~ one think i notices is that dairy is quite bad for the weight side, perhaps if you have a large amount, recude it :smile: but never cut out something you love... you will always miss it. good luck!!~~
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If someone spent years riding a bike and does that everyday again the body can get used to it. I would advise strength training of course being gentle with your knee.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    could it be that you have low-grade allergies to some of the foods you're eating? inflamation could also prevent weightloss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now that you are active again, have you noticed any other body changes; are you trimming up?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I would be very wary of anything that told me I burned that many calories bike riding, mostly downhill.

First, how does one go mostly downhill (11m ascent, with 63m descent)? Do you get a ride back up again?

Second, most people would be maxed out burning 1000kcal an hour, much less in just over half an hour! I biked a similar distance this weekend, on a crappy 3 speed, 20" wheel bike, and I still doubt that I burned even 500 calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Spocky wrote: »
    If someone spent years riding a bike and does that everyday again the body can get used to it. I would advise strength training of course being gentle with your knee.

Remember your body getting used to exercise doesn't mean you burn less calories. People often confuse perceived effort with energy expenditure - which is down to physics.
    Certainly agree about strength training to support damaged knees though.

OP - those calorie burns for your cycling sound far, far too high to me.
    1134 for your 18.5km - I seriously doubt that. As a comparison I estimated just over 3000cals for a 180km ride!

Think your estimates are badly exagerated. Maybe try some alternative free tracking apps as a no cost option? Strava or Runkeeper perhaps?