Fitbit

Options
So tell me about your Fitbit. Which one do you have? Why did you pick the one you did? Do you find it to be motivating? Would you recommend it to others? Thanks!

Replies

• drams5
    drams5 Posts: 26
    Options
    I am thinking of getting a fitbit as well, so I'm going to follow this. I have a few friends that have multiple fitness trackers and they have all told me that the fitbit software is much more user friendly and syncs well with other sites (like MFP) better than some of its competitors. But I'm really curious to hear how motivating others find it....and how long they've used it consistently.
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I bought a garmin Vivofit and used it one day. The online and mobile software was a pain to use. I spent an hour on the phone with their customer support trying to figure out how to use the software. the numbers I got from it made no sense. I took it back the next day.
    I got a fitbit zip to replace it and I love it. The online and mobile software is very easy to use and very intuitive. It snycs well and I am very happy with it. I am thinking I will upgrade to the new fitbit surge or charge, but I am going to wait until they have been out a while and I can see the reviews.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex, and I definitely move more because of it. I love reading the dashboard. The downside to this model is it is rechargeable, but the charger is poorly designed. I'd like to upgrade to the Charge HR because of the heart rate monitor, but I'm going to watch for a while and see what the user reviews are like.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I bought a Flex to help me slow down loss and move on to maintenance and it's nothing less than amazing. I'm +- following it's adjustments to my daily calories for three months now - oscillating within a kilo around my target 75. Tremendous help with tracking all cardio based exercises (except biking etc obviously). Recommend waiting for the recently announced Fitbit Surge though - that indeed is an ultimate tracking device/smartwatch.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I went from a fitbit one to a garmin and hated it. I loved the One but the battery packed in after a yeat hence mving to the vivofit but as a previous poster has said the software is awful and its really stingy with calories and what it credits you on mfp doesnt tally with what the interface says you should have. The charge is great but seems to size really small. I generally wear size small on anything wrist related but can only get it on. Hoping this will be less of an issue as i lose more weight tjough
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love my One and would never go anywher without it. I have definitely walked more since I've had it and I would recommend it to anyone. The new models look pretty good but I personally prefer not to wear a wrist tracker for steps,purely because I don't think they are as accurate as one I wear on my waistband each day.
  • vanseters1956
    Options
    In July, I got the fitbit one and haven't taken it off since. I'm retired and have a tendency to be at my computer the majority of my days. I read that it's recommended that 10,000 steps a day is a good place to start getting exerecise. The fitbit motivates me to get my activity in and it's easy to set up and sync. Would I recommned fitbit to someone ? Yes !!
  • libbylulily
    libbylulily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One. I have found that I like to make sure I get to a required number of steps so that means I have to move more. The dashboard is good and clear and it does sync well with MFP. I use MFP to log food and leave the exercise element to FitBit. If you do cycling, I've heard that FitBit doesn't register it so well but I've also heard that you could tie it to your shoelace (or put it in your sock) so that it would register it as steps. Hope this helps a bit.
  • gmorris82
    gmorris82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one, it's not a wristband type, it goes either onto your belt or onto your bra if you're a girl. I've lost a couple, and sometimes leave them on yesterdays jeans which is pretty annoying. The software is great and links into myfitnesspal really well. My fitness pal has a much better food database for the UK. The fitbit one does time, alarms, steps, calories, flights of stars, sleep. Don't know how it compares to others but i'd definitely recommend it to a friend.
  • aeribus
    aeribus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've had a Flex for about a year and a half and to be honest, I don't really like it or find it useful. The LEDs in my first Flex started burning out in less than 6 months of using it which made it difficult to guess at how many steps you've put in. I stuck with the somewhat working lights until the band disintegrated. I was able to get it replaced very easily just by contacting Fitbit and telling them what happened. I've been using my replacement Flex for maybe 3 or 4 months and while the lights still work, the band on this one has cracked in numerous locations and is about ready to just fall apart completely. They are prone to breaking around the plastic display as that's how you remove it to charge. Keeping this in mind, I've been extremely careful when removing it hoping to prolong the lifespan of the band. I've even go so far as to remove it whenever I'm doing anything which could cause damage to the band. From what I've seen, the newer models have a significantly improved charging system that does not require removing the device from the band.

Since the Flex only has a series of lights, you have to guess at how many steps you've taken throughout the day based on the number of lit lights. At least they make it somewhat easy to guess based on the rate that the light blinks, but it is only a guess.

I guess at this point, I like it more as an alarm clock than anything else.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a One and my wife a Flex. We both use them every day and along with a Polar HR monitor and logging food, we've both got ourselves into great shape and met our goal weights. All three of the tools we use force us to pay attention. ie: when I check my One and see I haven't hit my goal steps, I'll work on getting them in, same as looking at my calories and macros on MFP, and logging my workouts with my HRM. It all lets me manage my exercise and nutrition in a relatively easy manner. It takes a little work, but once it's habit, there's not much to it.
  • silver_inca
    silver_inca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one. It is cool, but check out the fitbit surge, which is out early next year.

It will track your calories in real time using an optical HRM to give you a more accurate burn rather than being step based. This is what i'm holding out for! :)
  • xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and I love it! It keeps me motivated I wear it almost 24 7! I had the flu or what felt like the flu over the weekend and didn't wear it most of Saturday and all of Sunday and I just felt horrible bc I didn't meet my goal!
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've had the discontinued Fitbit Force. At the beginning it really did help to see how inactive I was. The software works, however if you ever want to do advanced data analysis you have to pay for their premium membership. Additionally Fitbit has stated they have no interest in syncing their data to Apple's new Heatlhkit app which is really annoying to me and goes back to the cost of the premium membership. At this time the battery in my Force is dying and I will more than likely be asking for a refund.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and love it. It's pretty accurate and i realised i wasn't getting anywhere near the 10,000 recommended daily steps.