What do you do when you plateau?

Options
so for 3 weeks I didn't lose an ounce. Eating clean, working hard. I swear I sweat a pound with every workout and NOTHING. I didn't let it stop me, but I did purchase one of those fancy scales that tells me my % body fat. LOL I figured if my weight wasn't changing, maybe seeing my fat and lean body mass % changes would keep me going. The weight started falling off again. But what do you guys do when that happens to you?

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have yet, since a plateau is about 6 weeks with no loss, right? I've stalled for maybe 2 weeks but then dropped. I know for me the reason is I am not being accurate with portions or logging, and in particular, sodium consumption. But an actual plateau, nope.

55835802.png
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories? If you're not losing you need to cut more calories. "Eating clean" will not necessarily make you lose weight .
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes I am counting everything. I chalked it up to stress when it was all done. I am confident with my ability to lose and making sure i'm doing everything right. I'm very educated in the science behind our food and workouts. I was just curious - when you get in a rut, what helps you keep going? Leave those brownies and grab that apple! Press play instead of watching New Girl. LOL
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I really want an answer to this one too! I haven't hit a bad plateau yet but I did have a 2 week plateau and it was frustrating! One thing that helped me was using trendweight, although the scale wasn't changing during that time trendweight still estimated that I was going down slowly. It was a good reminder.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Change the routine up.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I up the protein and cut the carbs...works every time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Look at my logging to see where I'm going wrong. I haven't needed to yet, though. One time I hit three weeks without losing and it suddenly dropped. I'm at three weeks not losing now, but I know it's because I hit TOM and then started lifting again, so I'm holding a lot of water weight.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What about carb cycling? Does that even work and how do you do it?
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I take a look at my logging and make sure I am weighing and measuring everything.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Go to the most obvious source and thats logging. I'd then go to the next most obvious and thats calories burned from exercise.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    cliff dive
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I cry. :'(
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Mix it up try doing something different with your workout. If running or biking go farther or for longer. If weights try to lift more. Stay positive and keep working towards your goal. Good Luck
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and you haven't logged for most of the last 2 weeks. Maybe log everything (weighed and measured) everyday and see what happens. If your anything like me you are eating more than you think.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and you haven't logged for most of the last 2 weeks. Maybe log everything (weighed and measured) everyday and see what happens. If your anything like me you are eating more than you think.

Probably because the thread is that old and he hasn't come back since.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    even those who weigh, measure and log everything that goes in their mouths will have a week or 2 stall every once in a while. When it happened to me I realized it had to do with my TOM and a high sodium dinner.

So now I watch my sodium intake carefully and stay away from my scale when it's my TOM.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are accurate with your intake, up the intensity on your workouts, change up your routine.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Probably because the thread is that old and he hasn't come back since.

Ohh ha ha. I see now its a week old! Still she wasn't logging properly for more than the week :wink:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Gonna be honest...I think, "Welp, maybe this is it. Maybe this is the thinnest I will get. If I'm still at this weight in 1 year that's cool".

Complacent perhaps. But I have lost a lot of weight despite thinking this way! :-)
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Switch it up or refocus on what got you to the point you are today. My scale has been stalled for most of November, but as of a few days ago people have started to comment on my loss after being at it for 4 months.

Sometimes the scale isn't telling the whole truth? Take measurements, check BF%, are you adding muscle mass, at the end of the day, don't give up. Look at the past and see how it can help your future.