Logging weight gain

Options
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone logs their weight gain as well as their weight loss.
I just started doing it today because I feel that the only way to get through this journey is if 1. i'm being completely honest with myself and 2. that I can compare the increased number on the scale to my food diary for that day/two days. I hope it helps in the long run!

Does anyone else do this as well and do you find that it has helped you?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You should if you want to be honest...
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do. When I got friends on mfp, then I started to rethink it, just because I was a little embarrassed. I got over that, tho. I weigh daily, log daily. It helps me see patterns, TOM patterns, when sodium effects things, etc.

Here is a ss of my chart. I love charts:50uqr2ciqq13.jpg
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    yes, i log my weight everyday.
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I log the gains as well as the losses
  • into_fitness
    into_fitness Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks everyone ! cookmtn - great loss!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've started to log daily because I love those fluctuations

I used to log weekly

But absolutely will log up-down-stay the same
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I log on MFP once a week (weigh daily, though), so I log whether up or down.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I log daily. I am already starting to wonder if all of my little ups are because of sodium intake and water retention from the day before. I will have to keep weighing daily to know for sure. Every one of those ups bothers me less as i see the number gradually goes down too.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I do log it - but I'm a weekly logger because small fluctuations are expected and I'm on the higher end of lbs to lose. Maybe once I get closer to goal I will do it daily but for now, weekly seems to give me an accurate account.
  • into_fitness
    Options
    awesome - do what you gotta do acorsaut89!

and for carriecans - it could be either of those, but that is why I am going to log daily as well. I like to not only see what affects my body/weight gain, but how to take note of those so I can make smarter decisions down the line!

I have to log daily - I don't know how high my motivation would be/how focused I will stay if I log weekly! But we have our own strategies that work :)
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Understanding the ups is as important as understanding the downs. Log it all.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I log both, my weight loss line definitely has it's fluctuations (luckily it's a majority down). I want to make sure my journey is accurate and shows how my weight actually was throughout.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd one out - I only log it if I lose weight! If on my weekly weigh-in day I haven't lost anything I try again the next day until I see a loss on the scale.

I don't care about accuracy, I want my weight loss chart to look nice. :grin:
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I log my weight every morning on the Happy Scale app, but on MFP I only log when there's a loss. I don't want to screw up my ticker!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love this - we're all so different

I want to see the fluctuations on my graph because I want to be able to compare a week's loss / a month's loss with the overall trend of weight lost over the months I've been here

I find it reassuring to realise how the weight fluctuates and has no bearing on my overall body really - the sodium / exercise / hormonal effects on that number on the scale are fascinating to me - and help me stick with it even when I'm maintaining / going up .. because I know it will drop over a longer time frame
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I weigh daily and record it in MFP. I like data and seeing trends. Then I have a separate spreadsheet where I record and take weekly averages. The weekly average helps me see the trends through the daily noise on a weekly basis. It helps me see if I'm actually gaining or losing through all the bumps. It would take longer to see it without the averages.

Here's an example:
    9y1rjghd72cn.bmp
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Nope! but I'm not hiding anything I tell all my friends that my ticker is wrong, but it motivates me to make it accurate. Only 12.6 lbs to go!
  • into_fitness
    Options
    Love all of this - it's great to see what everyone does! great job everyone
  • into_fitness
    Options
    demarii06 - awesome. good luck to you. you got this!