Long runs

Options
I am starting my half marathon training now. I usually run 5k -10k distance for which I have enough music. I have realized that last 4-6 miles I start gettin very bored. What suggestions do you have for staying distracted during long runs. Podcasts ? I need suggestions esp since I train alone.

Replies

• osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    podcasts are great and audio books can be a huge distraction too. Just don't listen to anything too sad. I had a long run interrupted by tears during one very emotional book. It's pretty hard to run while crying.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Trail running. No need for audio.
  • Flabberboy
    Flabberboy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing distance and its a regular route, I mentally break it up. Instead of the idea that I'm out to run 5k, etc. I set myself just to be running to that place/landmark which is between a half mile and a mile away. Adjust that to how interesting the views are. A longer park section is lovely and gets lengthened. A boring street section gets shortened so that I'm not fed up with that bit for too long.

I also break up hilly bits so that I'm not running up a big hill. Just bits of it at a time.

So when running, I'm thinking about the next waypoint and no further. I tend to zone out till it comes up. A bit of mental adjustment and confirming to myself when the next location is and doing another short run to there.

This way it also stops me dreading the idea that I'm running this long distance that's going to take a long time.

It's also good for pacing. i.e. did I do better this time, worse, how comfortable did I feel. All things that have me thinking and therefore not getting bored with just pounding the pavement.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Add more music. I get more excited for my long run if I know I have fresh music.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think. Running is a great time for getting lost in your own thoughts. I haven't taken music with me in years.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I second the audio books. They're the only thing I listen to while running. They're quiet enough that I can hear outside noise easily to keep me alert for people coming up behind me. I tend to lean towards mysteries or a story full of drama so I'm always wanting to know what's going to happen next. Working through Gone Girl now.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Trail running. No need for audio.
    That's pretty much the way it works for me as well. I just look around at stuff, have random thoughts, and listen to birds, etc. I bring headphones and listen to music occasionally but I don't usually listen to music.

I talked to someone on the phone for 3 miles yesterday. You're supposed to be running at a conversational pace anyway. Why not?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I think. Running is a great time for getting lost in your own thoughts. I haven't taken music with me in years.

^^^^ This

If you're running anywhere near traffic you don't want to be "distracted", you want to be aware of your surroundings at all times........

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Additionally, the ability to run without "manufactured distractions" is great prep for race day as most races (at least IME) don't allow music on the course.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I put together different playlists depending on my mood. Right now it's autumn music (folk, instrumental, indie stuff...) soon it'll be Christmas music...I never get tired of music though.
    I'd try podcasts or audiobooks...RadioLab is a very interesting podcast.
    I just did my first half this past weekend. I didn't have audio until the very end because I wanted some mood music for crossing the finish line...I wasn't bored and had fun just talking with fellow runners and enjoying the event. At the actual race there were some people with music but just as many who didn't have music.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't think I could run without podcasts. I personally really like "stuff you should know" (stuffyoushouldknow.com/), "Radiolab" (radiolab.org/), "this American Life" (thisamericanlife.org/), and "the Moth" (themoth.org/). And then there is always political stuff if you want to really get your blood pumping.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I really like the Zombies, Run! app. It has a story line that intersperses with the music on my phone. I don't use headphones while I run, just the speaker on my phone. It's loud enough that I can hear it (unless a bunch of cars are going by) but not loud enough to annoy the neighbors and it allows me to hear what's going on around me.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Music distracts me from my pacing. I only listen to the sound of my own suffering.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

I just listen to the voices in my head. ;)

• jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I second audio books, when I was training for my full marathon, I listened to audio books when I was getting the bored itch coming...around 15-20 KM I would plug it in to get me past the last 10 - 15 KM.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Additionally, the ability to run without "manufactured distractions" is great prep for race day as most races (at least IME) don't allow music on the course.

every race i've ever done allowed music, and to be honest if they didn't there are way too many people to keep track of that. Race day is always easier, because you are so pumped up and the crowd of people everywhere along the course keep you movitivated and moving IMO.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I really like the Zombies, Run! app. It has a story line that intersperses with the music on my phone. I don't use headphones while I run, just the speaker on my phone. It's loud enough that I can hear it (unless a bunch of cars are going by) but not loud enough to annoy the neighbors and it allows me to hear what's going on around me.

I just looked this up. I'm going to have to try this. It sounds epic.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Some good ideas!!
  • alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eventually abandoned music and podcasts in favour of audio books as well, it's great. I haven't run to anything sad enough to make me cry, but the opposite has happened, I've startled a fair amount of people just suddenly laughing out.
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with SueInAz, I love ZombiesRun. It's a game, where the basic premise is you're a runner for a settlement during the zombie apocalypse. You have to run to collect supplies and find information and that sort of thing, while running away from zombies. It's excellent