When should I start using Whey Protein?

Options
Hi!

So I've been going to gym for more than just a week. I've had 3 "free" sessions with a trainer that comes with a year-long membership. He's taught me how to work the machines at the gym, but he's a little secretive about the more advanced workouts that I should do, supplements I should take, diet and nutrition, since he's been saying that he will only be able to talk about them if I availed to extend my sessions with him (for a lot of money). I understand that.

But when I asked if I should start taking whey protein, he said I shouldn't buy whey for now, even when I started using machines for strength exercises. I'm a little confused, because I doubt I get a lot of protein lately. Should I take his advice, or should I buy whey protein anyway?

Thank you, and I'll be grateful to hear from you!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's a supplement... and like any supplement, you should take it when you aren't getting enough of the nutrient through your diet. It has little to do with exercise and more to do with the rest of your diet.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For everything else there's Google. Seriously. Want to know more about workouts, meal planning and supplement stacks? Ask google! Just ask the first question that pops into your head and it will lead you on a merry adventure. I take whey for sure.
  • Folmarv
    Folmarv Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I did try to ask Google about the best times to start taking whey protein, but I just wanted to hear from people here.

Thinking about doing 5x5 training!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's no need to buy whey protein at all if you are getting enough protein in your daily diet. Depending on your goals you should be aiming for .5 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass each day. If you don't think that you can eat enough protein to meet that goal then whey protein is a good alternative.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If you don't get enough protein in your diet, then it's time to supplement.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what jackson said.
    Look how much you are getting first and then see if you want more and in what form. Its just food.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    IMO any time is a good time to drink whey protein. Look at your nutrition chart on MFP for any day or week. Most of the time you end the day or week short on protein. Weightlifters generally all agree you should have a daily intake of 1g of protein for every pound of your body weight. I like Cellucor brand because of the variety of flavors, and it seems like the lowest calorie-per-portion brand I can find. One portion (protein wise) is like eating 4 whole eggs or a 5oz steak. Im still running MFP in weight loss mode even though Im lifting weights. One portion of the Cellucor is 130cal so it isnt hard to fit it in as a snack. You have to space out protein intake through the day because your kidneys dont like a huge amount of protein at one time. As far as the trainer withholding information, that sounds like a trainer who only has 3 visits worth of information to give. Id look for another gym. Lastly, Ive been seeing a trainer for maybe 4 years.
  • check1972
    check1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is not a requirement for weight training. Like everyone else said, it is a supplement. Try to eat as much "real" protein as you can and fill in the rest of your target with the supplement. Depending on what you are trying to do (building muscle, weight loss, toning, etc) you may not need it at all.
  • Folmarv
    Options
    Really happy to get replies here! Thanks, everyone! :D
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Whey isn't required. You can get it from another source but a lot of people supplement with Whey. Before you go throwing around a lot of money on supplements you may want to get a few samples. Not everyone can tolerate whey - lactose is an issue for some so you can try a few and see what works best for you. I use Whey Isolate which is almost lactose free and its fine for me - other Whey's I couldn't tolerate.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    While I understand your trainer's need to make a living, I'd also be cautious about anyone who remains secretive about things until you pay him a lot of money -- especially if they are things that you can find out yourself with a simple Google search.

There aren't any "secrets" or "tricks" to any of this. There's just the old-fashioned way, with hard work and energy and consistency. Anyone who claims to be selling a shortcut is really the modern-day equivalent of a snake oil salesman.

I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat much meat -- just chicken or fish 3-4 times a week, but otherwise, I tend to eat mostly veggie foods. As a result, it can be tough for me to get enough protein in my diet, since plant sources of protein tend to have more calories for the same protein content. Having said that, I'm really not a fan of supplements, since I think it's preferable in most cases to get your nutrients from food. If you can alter your food habits to up the protein, that's probably your best bet overall.

Bodybuilding powders and supplements can be useful for some. But *usually* they're just a good way for a gym to make a serious profit.
  • Folmarv
    Options
    Ieodru,
    Yep. I was thinking about buying Whey Isolate. As much as I want to try to eat as much real protein, I can't seem to reach my target, so I am really considering that.

It's just that I got confused when my trainer told me I probably shouldn't take it yet.
  • Folmarv
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    While I understand your trainer's need to make a living, I'd also be cautious about anyone who remains secretive about things until you pay him a lot of money -- especially if they are things that you can find out yourself with a simple Google search.

There aren't any "secrets" or "tricks" to any of this. There's just the old-fashioned way, with hard work and energy and consistency. Anyone who claims to be selling a shortcut is really the modern-day equivalent of a snake oil salesman.

My thoughts exactly. :( But I get the feeling he has a quota to meet, which is why he's doing that. But I shall persevere with research, MFP, Google, and my own desire to be healthier.