Only 7 lbs Down in a Month...

Options

Replies

• IrZeo
    IrZeo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    So congratulations on losing over 40lbs so far. That is outstanding. Be proud of it...
    Can I make a suggestion that you are going to thing is a bit crazy? What caught my eye is you mentioning that you are working out "every single day" and then saying you are actually working out twice per day. When I look at your log it seems you are eating 1200-1300 calories per day with an 800 calorie day thrown in there. I'm going to suggest you might want to bump that up. I say this because I did the exact same thing for a long time and I've recently discovered that it was totally unnecessary. The fact is that you could be eating more, still losing and thereby have much greater chances of long term success. Just my observation based on experience.

Weirdly enough, especially coming from a guy my size, I'm struggling to get those calories up any further than I am currently.. I don't really know what to add to my meals to get them up and at the same time keeping the meals healthy.. man I find figuring the food part out so confusing and difficult. >_<
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, why are you subjecting yourself to so few calories?

Are you actually weighing and measuring your food?

^Like I said above, I find figuring the food part out quite difficult. I am weighing and measuring my food, yeah.
  • IrZeo
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    The point was consistency in the key and remind yourself that it will take time to get to target.

Pthers will be better at looking at your diary. The exercise sounds good, but the thing I noticed is you are eating very little and I would question as to whether you are going too severe. The danger of too severe is you can give up due to boredom or you binge out.

The estimate for your mainteance calories I looked at was near 4000, so 2lbs a week would be 3000 calories a day but looking at your diary it shows you are eating between 1300-1500 calories a day and not taking into account your exercise calories. Talk to your Dr and dietician. You need to pace yourself and be patient.

So far only my Dr is helping me with my plan, I have been referred to a 'weight management programme' at the Hospital in my city on the 12th December, so hopefully they'll help me figure it out a bit better... since I clearly suck at it so far.. I'm actually terrified I'm burning more muscle than fat because I can't really notice a whole lot of change after losing a little over 40lbs, besides one of my coats now fit a tiny bit better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    IrZeo wrote: »
    So my monthly weigh-in was today, and I have lost 7 lbs this month, which brings me to a total of 42 lbs since August.

I feel so disappointed by this.. I was expecting more, especially at my size.
    I've gone over all the possibilities and the only thing I did differently this last month was not get enough sleep due to stress and general struggling to fall asleep (despite working out every single day). Sigh...

You're disappointed? Oh my goodness.......

Weight-Loss-Congrats.jpg

I say to keep doing what you're doing because you've got it down!

You GO!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    7lbs is a great loss!!! Never get discouraged... too many people are in race against time; unwilling to consider the amount of time that it took you to become an unhealthy weight...Stick with it! Life happens; as long as you stay committed the results will come!! CONGRATS ON YOUR 7lb LOSS!!! There's a lot of people on this site that would love to lose 7lbs!! :smile:
  • msjohnson426
    msjohnson426 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    IrZeo wrote: »
    So my monthly weigh-in was today, and I have lost 7 lbs this month, which brings me to a total of 42 lbs since August.

I feel so disappointed by this.. I was expecting more, especially at my size.
    I've gone over all the possibilities and the only thing I did differently this last month was not get enough sleep due to stress and general struggling to fall asleep (despite working out every single day). Sigh...

STILL AN AWESOME LOSS!!
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OP,

I started at 297 and my weight loss was between 8 and 10 lbs monthly. You are going to have weeks and months where this is higher and then other times when it seems to crawl. Learn to recognize this now and say to yourself. ANY loss is a success. You will learn as you go and get better / more consistent which will help drive your success. Don't get discouraged and just keep doing what is working. Best of luck and keep it up!!

Also be aware that as you get closer to a healthy weight this weight loss will get harder / slower. B)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    An 8 pound loss would have been absolutely "perfect" for someone wanting to lose 75+ pounds. You lost a pound less than that. That is absolutely excellent. Just remember, this is a process. The weight will not come off overnight. It took a long time to put it on and it'll take a long time to take it off (but probably less time than it took to put it on, if you're diligent!). Don't let this excellent loss get you down because it's not the number that you had in your head. If you start beating yourself up this early in the game, it's not going to turn out well. You're doing great, so just keep on at it! (And for reference- if you "only" lost 7 pounds a month for the next year, you would be down 84 pounds by this time next year---hardly anything to snarl at)
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

[/quote]

since I clearly suck at it so far...[/quote]

Here's where you are going to have to refocus. You clearly do NOT suck at this. You have made progress that hundreds, if not thousands of people on this site would love to have made. So take a breath and be easier on yourself. I know that, for me, if I hadn't been very, very diligent with my mindset at the beginning I would have failed - and that mindset was the expectation of losing 1-2lbs per week. That frame of mind has saved me on many occasions from frustration, anger, guilt and the desire to give up. 1-2lbs per week IS success.

• radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi there OP, I also have a lot to lose and started at 372. I am nut for data so I've been keeping track of all sorts, including monthly loss. Here's what I've got so far.

May: lost 6 pounds (started mid-way), 366
    June: lost 13 pounds, 353
    July: lost 8 pounds, 345
    August: lost 6 pounds, 339
    September: lost 13 pounds, 326
    October: lost 7 pounds, 319

And THAT all averages out to about 9 pounds a month. ;)

Anyway, I'm not losing super fast, but I am also aiming to create a way of eating and exercise that is sustainable for a lifetime. If the weight will stay off because I took longer to lose it, that is fine with me. I've been yo-yoing most of my life so that last point is very important to me.

7 pounds in a month is awesome no matter who you are. Any weight loss is awesome. Celebrate your successes and keep doing what you're doing – though I do agree, you may want to give yourself more fuel. At your weight and activity level you probably need a few more calories!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    since I clearly suck at it so far.. I'm actually terrified I'm burning more muscle than fat because I can't really notice a whole lot of change after losing a little over 40lbs, besides one of my coats now fit a tiny bit better.

Dude you dont suck at it at all. You have taken a brave lifechanging step. You have lost a goodly amount of weight. It will take time though hence you have to pace yourself as the mental aspect is really importnat for getting to target. Go and try to pick up 40lb in weight and realise you arent carrying that around with you anymore. Carrying a lot of weight round often damages peoples self confidence as well, so learn to be your own friend and be proud of your efforts to improve your own lot.

Youll be losing a mixture of muscle fat and water weight. Id just be focusing on slow steady losses and getting into the routine, all the time paying attention to what your Dr says. When you can eventually manage it then some resistance training will help limit muscle loss. Honestly I think you are doing fine, but should eat more. MFP is all about making lifestyle changes that you can sustain not going from one extreme to the other and making yourself miserable.

Youll be fine if you keep doing the good things consistently then you will lose weight, just have realistic expectations about the rate it will come off. Get some MFP friends if you need support.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I wish I could lose 7 lbs in one month……..

Congrats, OP! Keep up the hard work!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Yeah, seriously, you are doing great! Progress is progress - enjoy it. Doesn't matter if it's one pound or 10 you should just decide that you're going to celebrate each step equally. No need to bring in any negative thinking at this point. Just keep at it!
  • IrZeo
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the encouraging replies and tips you guys, it really means a lot. I appreciate it!
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hey at some point it will all catch up. I know other people say you are doing well (which you are), but myself as an obese person I see where you coming from I know I feel disappointed if I "only" lose 1.5lbs in a week, even though it is still good I just want progress faster.

If you really only eating 1300 calories try upping that to at least 2k. I eat 1900-2000 (currently at 306lb). I tried cutting to 1600 calories but I found it wasn't affecting weight loss much so upped it back up. You said you find yourself not hungry, try eating things like nuts. high calories. Or add more butter to things, use more oil. These things add a lot of calories without filling me up might I find.

For exercise I found that ocne I started walking 1 hour 4-5times a week that is when it really started coming off fast (I obviously didn't start at 1 hour had to work myself up to that amount of time at that frequency)

• Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    man, I'd be thrilled to lose 7lbs in one month! That's awesome!
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just keep it going in the right direction - I really really doubt you need to worry about losing muscle - I've never been anywhere near you size but I've tried to lose my extra 40lbs unsuccessfully a few times and in hindsight I always let myself get caught up in that worry about muscle and sabatoged my weight loss - personally I think most people worry way too much about muscle - be active, lift for fitness (not to be the next Arnold) and you'll maintain all the muscle you need - just worry about losing weight
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think you might not be eating enough. You are THOUSANDS of calories under your MFP goal for the day. At your size you could probably lose weight on 2500 calories a day. Or more.

Try adding a few hundred calories a day and see what happens.
    Try also adding more bulk to your meals with lots of vegetables and more fruit. I find I lose weight better when 50% of my plate is non-starchy vegetables. I figure the bigger the mass of food that goes in, the more my metabolism has to work to deal with it.

If you aren't hungry, add more calories with dense foods like nuts. Don't be scared of fats - they're good for you. Or protein bars and shakes - you can get them very reasonably priced on Amazon, and I'm finding they work out cheaper than buying all the meat I'd need to stay within my macros. Plus some of them taste pretty good, and I'll have a bar at the end of the day if I think I've not eaten enough.

Look at it this way - as your weight goes down, you'll need to reduce calories even more to keep losing. The way you're eating now, you're not leaving any room to do this. At over 400 pounds, you will have more success doing this slow, steady, gently and above all in a way that is kind to you and your body.

Patience is really hard when you want to see the numbers on the scale go down. Weight lost slowly comes back on slowly too. (I lost about 30 kilos slowly and kept 15-25 of them off for about 6 years without dieting at ALL. This is my second phase, and I intend to lose another 10 the same way... rest a while... and then another 5... and so on.)

So, set your goals to sedentary, and try eating the amount MFP tells you for a while. The exercise burned calories may be out, but I've spent hours going over the maths and the daily calorie requirements on MFP are actually pretty damned accurate.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your doing great!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give up! Keep at it.

I am sure your get to where you want to be! :smiley: