Help me edit a recipe! Lower cals/etc

Options
I have a favourite cookie recipe that my mum and I have made together since I was little. It's a standard thing to make when I have an 'event' and want to bring something, and I have such a day coming up and would love to still make these without having to limit myself to watching everyone else eat them all!

If there's anyone here who has some experience in relation to results when using replacement ingredients in recipes, could you give me a hand fixing this one up?

1.5 cups sugar
1 cup raisins
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
170 grams butter (ARGGG)
1 tsp cinnamon
2.5 cups flour (whole wheat flour?)
2 cups oats
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Replies

• cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would keep the recipe the same, but try to just eat them in moderation. Like two a day with milk after dinner. Easier said than done i know though ;)
  • BombShell001
    BombShell001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Instead of sugar, you can use 3/4 cup isomalt and 3/4 splenda?? I think the cinnamon, oats and whole-wheat flour are fine. Instead of butter, try grapeseed/canola oil. Hope that helps :)
  • DenShort
    DenShort Posts: 39
    Options
    baking tends not to work if you start altering recipes, you have to be so precise to get it right.

you would be better off googleing a low cal recipe as if you alter your mum's recipe it isn't going to taste the same anyway :(
  • rosequoll
    rosequoll Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I know you can substitute applesauce in some recipes instead of the butter. Also splenda instead of sugar.. it substitutes 1:1. Egg beaters(smart eggs) instead of eggs. Also I would start out using half whole wheat and half white flour the first time as the ww flour will change the texture of the cookie.
    Dont have to use all the ideas at once. Any one of them will make the cookies more healthy.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Debora73
    Debora73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should be able to reduce the sugar by up to half a cup without changing anything else...
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Reducing the sugar and using applesauce are both really good ideas. You can also reduce a little further and increase fiber content by replacing 1/3 of the flour with coconut flour.