Why you should avoid "Gluten Free" products

Options
2»

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Except if you have been diagnosed with celiacs.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Funny you post that, I'm supposed to be avoiding gluten because I have an autoimmune disease so I was in the grocery store mulling over gluten free brownies yesterday because I was craving a treat. Just couldn't do it. Organic junk food. It was trying to tell me they were healthy on the box but...no.

Ended up making a concoction with an over ripe banana and some dark chocolate chips and nuts when I got home which was way healthier and did the trick.

This. People think because something is gluten free or organic it's healthy. NOT. Something is healthy for you if it fills the balance of proteins/vitamins/carbs/etc you need in a substantial way. Organic gluten free brownies do not. I'm allergic to wheat as well. Honestly everyone would be healthier if they ate a balance. Too much wheat or too much xanthan gum or too much whatever, it doesn't matter what, isn't good. Western diets are usually so unbalanced!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I know it's junk food. But man, sometimes it's so blissful to be able to have a treat, as long as I'm good most of the time. We have a bakery in Austin that makes GF cake balls. It's a quarter-diameter piece of ~heaven~.

And lots of people without celiac's find they feel better when they avoid wheat. You aren't a "poser" if it makes you feel better.

But processed food is processed food. And you should eat it in moderation and not base your diet on it. Gluten free or otherwise.

+2
    A lot of people are unaware that the tests for celiac's disease are actually still pretty inaccurate, they come up negative a lot of times and second tests will come out positive, but individuals rarely get tested twice. The tests are getting better though, hence the sudden increase in people allergic to wheat.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    1. Too little fiber:

Many highly processed gluten-free products and recipes are lower in fiber, and can leave you feeling hungry. Fiber is also essential for healthy bowel movements.

isn't fiber mostly just for creating more solid wastes?

fat makes for better bowel movements- I eat a fairly varied diet- and I never seek out fiber and I'm just fine- fat my friends- it does the dueces good.

As my MIL says... fat just greases up the insides to make everything move better... :wink:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I LOVE GLUTEN!!!!
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    And lots of people without celiac's find they feel better when they avoid wheat. You aren't a "poser" if it makes you feel better.

I think this sort of sums up my feelings. I feel better when I avoid artificial sugar. A little bit is fine, but if I have, for example, 2 diet cokes in a single day, I feel icky and get a headache. I don't have a problem with gluten, but heck, if someone feels better without it, more power to 'em. Plus, I've got a friend who genuinely has celiac and she's loving that it's trendy right now because it's given her more options. So bonussss.
  • kbangash786
    Options
    I feel better when I avoid artificial sugar.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lost me at "bad carbs" and "unhealthy sugars" ....

if you do not have gluten sensitivity then you do not need to eat GF free, period.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    CrunchyDad wrote: »
    This is exactly right.

We should all eat foods that are naturally gluten free.

Yupper

why?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I feel better when I avoid artificial sugar.

I feel better when I drink Patron...