You re etting too thin

Options

Someone at work told me that I need to slow down with the gym because I am getting too thin. That kind of offended me because being too thin is just as bad as being overweight. Anyways I don't think I am anywhere near being too thin as I still find myself still curvey.Does anyone get the same thing ?
Here is my pickbvs04sxoi9f.png

Replies

• jillianash
    jillianash Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You should try not to take offhand comments to heart.
    You look good to me if you want an opinion, but just know that its your body and its up to you to decide if/when you are fit as you want to be.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    "Essential fat" levels for women are at 10-13%. People at that level and up are not "too thin." You're fine. Person at work is delusional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    "Essential fat" levels for women are at 10-13%. People at that level and up are not "too thin." You're fine. Person at work is delusional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

^^This. Can the person at work see your weight on the scale? Did they sit down and calculate your BMI, waist circumference, waist/height ratio or body fat %, or other well-known markers for weight/size? No? Then their opinion is worthless.

• Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You look lovely! Brush that comment off.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I had a recent comment from my mother (I'm 35, grown, and support myself and family... been making my own decisions for almost 20 years now...) regarding being potentially anorexic because I've started to lift weights. Sometimes people's concern can be pretty damn insulting. But I think they're coming from a place of love - even if their concern is misplaced. I wish they had been so concerned for my health and well-being when i was obese!

Honey - you look great. Keep up the excellent work.
  • MrsPrior
    MrsPrior Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    They're probably just jealous. When I started losing several 'friends' told me I was getting too skinny or wasting away, in quite a hurtful way, even though according to all conventional measurements (waist measurement, weight, BMI, body fat %, even clothes size) I was still unhealthy - they were jealous, and abandoned me when I was no longer the 'fat girl'.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I got something similar last September from my grandfather. He basically asked if I was ill because I'd lost so much weigh since I'd seen him last(I've lost even more since then). Anyway, I told this to my uncle a few months back because after all that time it still bugged me. He told me not to worry about it.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You do look great and I agree it is hard to hear comments either direction but you have to learn to take it with a grain of salt and know what makes you feel good and healthy
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    First of all they are upset because you are achieving something they probably can't, and second I LOVE you bra! Where did you get it? I've been looking a bra with ribbed support for ages!
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I call jealously from the coworker. Just do what's best for you. You look great!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Aren't you always telling people not to care about what anyone thinks of them?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I need compliments! Look at me!

BFDeal, you are a SEXY BEAST and your hair is stunning. Are you a model?
  • jeepskate
    jeepskate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, my coworkers are supportive. You look stunning, ignore them and do your thing!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »

Someone at work told me that I need to slow down with the gym because I am getting too thin.

You look quite lovely. I wouldn't not say too thin, but neither would I say too heavy.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I need compliments! Look at me!

Yeah... I sense some fishing.

@OP: Your coworkers aren't used to seeing you smaller, hence the "too thin" comments.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    OP you look just fine. Btw .. being too skinny is not good either. I was there about 6 months ago at 7% body fat .. it was not pretty. It was my MFP journey gone wrong. My friends called me a "Crackhead" cause that is what I looked like. So .. somewhere in between is better. But probably health wise .. yes less is probably better, to a point and not to excess. Just ignore those people .. it is just their jealousy talking.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    I had a recent comment from my mother (I'm 35, grown, and support myself and family... been making my own decisions for almost 20 years now...) regarding being potentially anorexic because I've started to lift weights. Sometimes people's concern can be pretty damn insulting. But I think they're coming from a place of love - even if their concern is misplaced. I wish they had been so concerned for my health and well-being when i was obese!

Honey - you look great. Keep up the excellent work.

Are you my sister? Sorry you have to deal with that. I know the feeling. Just about every female in my family (close and distant) is over weight and diabetic. I'm the only one who isn't and who actually works out, so yes, my mom tells everyone it's because I have an eating disorder. :(
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Oh, and OP, people errantly feel the need to make comments about everything. Ignore it!
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement.Just to clear things up, I didn't post my pic to fish for compliments.If i wanted that then i woulf posted in success forum .Just wanted other people opinion since I don't see myself as too thin or skinny.I am happy where I am at and my goal was to reach a healthyweight and still keep my womanly curves
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am starting to get the "losing too fast" comments, and I just broke under 200 lbs! I fit XL women's! I average one pound a week loss! The problem is that I am thinner than the person who made the comment.

By the way, I got the same sort of comments from a certain sort of person the last time I lost significant weight. Back then it hurt. I'd been diligent with my diet for over a year, very safe.

Now I am older, smarter, with thicker skin.
This discussion has been closed.