Can anyone give me the dos and donts of exercising?

Options
Ive been exercising for about 3 months now after a life of stillness. I mainly spend about 15 minutes a day walking up 44 flights of stairs and every other day I lift weights for about 15 minutes. This has been enough to help me lose 31 pounds in 4 months! However id like to step it up a notch. I can't go out for a walk or joh because I live in a big city and stay home with the kids all day and dont feel safe going out at night.. I dont have the money for more equipment or a gym membership.

Could you also please tell me how to exercise right? I get nauseous after exercising. any way to avoid that? Any tips help!

Replies

• MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I work from home (regularly) I found that I missed getting to the gym.

If you are not up to going outside then you may be able to hre a stationary bike. My sister hired one for $10 a month once which may be an option.

Otherwise, steps are great. You could get a platform like a STEP AEROBIC platform (low coffe table ? or something that will slide under a coffee table) etc so there would be no need to go outside.

People are also raving about WII Fit (not my cup of tea).

Hope you find something that works.
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hiya - I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reebok-Lateral-Thigh-Stepper-Resistance/sim/B000M2E96C/2

which was dead cheap (it was half price when I bought it) and also can be done upstairs without disturbing the people in the room below, even if they're asleep.

Something similar could work - you can get very cheap ones and they don't take up very much room. They don't have handles as such, just those stretchy bungee ropes, but if you were worried about balancing on it you could place it in a doorway and hold the sides.

I don't have time for and can't afford a gym membership either, but I've found that this and things like sit-ups and press-ups - admittedly done extremely desultorily, but what the hell - seem to be doing the trick for now.

Hope that helps!
    V x
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am also very limited in time, space and money for exercise. I highly recommend you get a couple of exercise DVDs that require no equipment. I am using 30 day shred which requires a mat (I use the rug) and hand weights (beer cans...). There are loads out there for all levels of fitness and different amounts of time. The other thing it sounds like you might be able to work into your schedule is cycling to and from work if you have a bike and it's not too far away.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A treadmill would be good. Leslie Sansone workout videos are good. Add more minutes to your weight training. I exercise on an empty stomach to avoid nausea.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/229879-extreme-fat-loss-techniques-great-article-to-read-0

Here is a link to an article I posted the other day...i think it will help.

Have a great day!! =0)
  • diggedy
    diggedy Posts: 8
    Options
    I wouldnt worry too much about the nausea, I used to get it after workouts and it wasnt until I got my fitness level up that it stopped. Also making sure your not working out on an empty stomach (dont stuff yourself beforehand either!!) or after a strong coffee will certainly help. It wouldnt hurt to seek medical advice, doctors can usually tell you if your doing too much or what you need to be doing to get rid of it.

As previously mentioned there are some inexpensive workout dvd`s but also do your kids have an xbox or wii? There are some good exercise programs for these such as wii fit or EA active, not too expensive either.

edit : someone mentioned above that they find it better working out on an empty stomach. Im the opposite but see what works for you