Thanksgiving Dinner

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I must be weird, cuz I dont have any issues with my big meal I am making today. I cook entirely different than I did last year. Low sodium chicken broth in place of butter, 1% milk in place of whole milk, 1 roll instead of 3, a small slice of pumpkin pie. 4 different veggies! I am even making my own cranberry sauce!

I simply cannot eat the way I could 5 months ago. My tastes have changed, my lifestyle has changed, my BODY has changed!

Some great ideas from you folks. Not putting out the cheese tray this year (got that from Laura last week) We love the cheese and cracker so I am making us each a portion control 'appitizer' plate (sneaky~~~ they dont know!!~~~)Gonna throw in those garlic cloves for my ONE roll (if I keep saying this, will it be true?!)

Enjoy, no guilt as a side dish today, please!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking a Turkey, no stuffing (don't like it), rice for DH, squash, bell peppers, and crescent rolls. I'm throwing some garlic cloves in with the turkey towards the end of cooking time so they'll get roasted and will use that instead of butter on my rolls. Got that tip from Alton Brown Yea, AB! :drinker: And, then for dessert, I'm putting an apple or two in the over with some splenda and cinnamon--YUM!

Shore, do you leave the galic in the skin?? then open it after?? this is an awsome idea!!

No. I peel the individual cloves and then just place around the bird. They'll spread just like butter when done and are UNBELIEVABLY GOOD! I got that idea from AB and his recipe for "Chicken with 40 cloves." I don't think I'll use 40 cloves of garlic (although I have before with chicken and it's great!) but will probably use 1/2 that at least.

I'm splaying the bird, too, another idea from AB.
    --Remove backbone completely
    --place turkey in pan, legs and wings to the sides
    --watch turkey get nice crispy skin on all the bits!
    --eat turkey with nice crispy skin!
    Turkey1.jpg

Oh, and I used olive oil instead of butter to baste it.