Post workout snacks

Options
Hi! Now that I have clued in that I must eat some of my calories back after working out..I was wondering if anyone had some good post workout snacks that are nutritional and won't set my entire day back ! Thanks!

Replies

• d0900
    d0900 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi! Now that I have clued in that I must eat some of my calories back after working out..I was wondering if anyone had some good post workout snacks that are nutritional and won't set my entire day back ! Thanks!
  • domjar
    domjar Posts: 19
    Options
    Almonds raw and not salted
    hummas and veggies are also good :smile:
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm personally a big fan of chocolate milk or a smoothie right after a workout so that my muscles can begin recovering right away. I leave it in my gym bag or the car if it's cold enough. A few studies lately have shown that chocolate milk is as effective as gatorade for recovery. http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v29n1/milk.shtml

Something with carbs and protein...around a 4:1 ratio would work great.

check out runners world for other post-workout suggestions.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--12757-0,00.html
  • juanitagf
    Options
    My favorite post workout snack is 1-2 hard boiled eggs. Great protein with good fats.
  • Konahottie
    Konahottie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like bannana's and lately low cal protine bars. I am always so hungry when I get home i chow on things i shouldn't and the protine bars have really stopped that. :)
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would usually have a glass of skim fat free milk and or a jello pudding popsicle, so that I can get my muscles back in. I just have to remember to eat something right after I work out.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Tonight I tried something new for my post-workout snack, and really liked it.

I microwaved a half tbs of peanut butter, half tbs honey, and about two tbs of water (15 seconds, stir, 15 more seconds, stir again). Then I mixed in half a banana (sliced) and crushed a graham cracker ontop.

It was yummmy. :bigsmile:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have to eat immediately after you exercise, if you aren't hungry don't eat, but, make sure you have eaten all of your exercise calories by the end of the day.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is my go to snack post exercise.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i either have a bananna or an carnation instant breakfast shake. if i dont i still get leg cramps
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have to eat immediately after you exercise, if you aren't hungry don't eat, but, make sure you have eaten all of your exercise calories by the end of the day.

It's not immediate, but it's important to get something within 30 minutes. Certain hormones that promote repair are higher during this time and it speeds recovery. If you wait too long, you miss that window and might as well not have eaten anything to help yourself recover.