UGH... eating mexican

Options
Hi,
I am kind of freaking out tonight because I am going out to eat for the first time in a week, where I have been unable to weigh and measure out my food. We are eating mexican. I am wondering how many calories are in a soft chicken taco with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, salsa, etc. Also, how many chips is a serving and whats the calorie content. This restaurant is not a chain so I am having a hard time discovering calories. Any insight would be great :)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your meal. You're going to have to use your best judgement when you pick something similar in the data base. When in doubt, alway guesstimate UP.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Bad news -- tortilla chips alone can have up to 720 calories -- probably 20 chips (my numbers and estimate of size is based on what they use in the Moe's Southwestern Nachos). Once you add meat and salsa and sour cream . . . loads of calories.

Moe's Southwestern Grill has a calorie counter that lets you put in each item and let it all add up. It's a great tool. Here's the link.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Depends on the restaurant obviously but the Mexican place we go to sometimes has a salmon salad that is actually really good. That and a few tortilla chips and salsa and it's pretty reasonable calorie wise. Or, I eat what I want and make up for it during the rest of the week. Generally one meal isn't going to undo your progress long term.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    no one should ever go into a mexican meal thinking "UGH".

how much room do you have left for today?
    going over a bit aint gonna kill ya.

if this is a place you enjoy, and its been awhile since youve been there, i vote you get what you like, stick to a sensible portion of it, and move on.

a chicken taco seems relatively easy to figure out.
    maybe 3 ounces of chicken? maybe thighs?
    how much cheese?...an eighth of a cup? less?
    a tablespoon of sour cream?

idk. i wouldnt lose too much sleep over it.

good luck and enjoy!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Find a chain with similar food and use that info (Qdoba or On the Border or somewhere).
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    the tortilla itself is the real diet killer. order fajitas if they have them (the make-them-yourself kind) and just eat the chicken and peppers and onions without the tortilla.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Find a chain with similar food and use that info (Qdoba or On the Border or somewhere).

This is what I do. I do try to avoid the chips and salsa because I always overdo it.

When I eat Mexican food AND I want to be good I stick with chicken tacos or grilled chicken salad (instead of dressing, ask for a side of salsa).
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It'll be fine- enjoy! Drink water before you go and while you eat, go easy on the chips (hard for me!), and don't over stuff yourself.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Also, corn tortillas tend to be half the calories of flour.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you really want to save calories for guacamole and/or a marg, ask them to cook your fajitas in broth and not oil. And avoid cheese. One ounce is a Damn small portion for 100 calories.
    But I echo what others have said - if it's not all the time and you enjoy it, then don't worry to much and have a great dinner!
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I ended up eating 25 chips.... I am thinking about 400 calories and then a soft taco 270... Thoughts?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    UGH!= Undale, Gud Happy!

I'm glad ur so happy to go eat mexican food! Its yummy.

Pre log the most popular mexican dishes that you are likely to find. And a diet coke with rum. Do not eat chips and salsa. Problem solved.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I ended up eating 25 chips.... I am thinking about 400 calories and then a soft taco 270... Thoughts?

My thought is that I'm too late in this thread...friends don't let friends count chips. :(
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options

My thought is that I'm too late in this thread...friends don't let friends count chips. :(

Agreed! Instead of counting chips, try just grabbing a handful to put on your plate. If you want/need more, grab another handful after you finish the chips on your plate. It's okay to repeat a few times.

The idea is keeping a sense of portion control, but letting yourself enjoy. Counting chips is not enjoying!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Going over once or even twice or three times won't kill you. It won't hurt you. There are always going to be moments like this. We are social beings who focus being social around food. Go enjoy yourself and know sodium may make you weigh more briefly but it won't mess up any progress.

Have fun!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I pick a day a week -- typically when I'm going out to eat -- where I don't really count anything. That doesn't mean I go totally overboard. I still exercise that day and am more or less mindful of what I'm eating, but I don't log and don't obsess. You need a valve like that or you'll just burn out.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Unless the place only serves things wrapped in tortillas, you should have plenty of other options, like chicken or shrimp in a spicy tomato-based sauce, usually with lots of peppers and onions. Or stuffed peppers. Or even huevos rancheros. Just look for stuff that basically consists of a protein with veggies.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lots of references to generic chicken tacos.. add sour cream and other stuff in yourself.....I would go with Caldo De Pollo or Caldo De Res..... mmmmm..... I made cheese enchiladas for Thanksgiving.. cuz that's how I roll !
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    when I eat Mexican my meal is well over 1000 calories. I don't stress it because I don't do it often