Whats your day to day meals look like?

Options
Do you cook some special meal daily? (Eggs, toast, fruit, and juice for breakfast for example) or do you have the same ol same basically (Like everyday you have a sandwich for lunch, or a yogurt for breakfast)?

i think ive been making this harder than it has to be. im bored and "done" with my way. I need to try something different. Breakfast and lunch NEEDS to be simple and fast. Dinner can take a little prep time but im lazy and would still like making things simple and easy most days. (crock pot meals for example).

Suggestions for meals? tips? im 24 years old and ive been at this for years. im just getting further and further away from my goal.

Replies

• aBetterMe25
    Options
    bump
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Mine depends on the day but usually breakfast and lunch are consistent and dinner gets switched up. Some of my favs:

Breakfast: english muffin with butter, an egg over easy, and a slice of cheese; biscuit with butter and jam; yogurt with fruit; oatmeal with apples and raisins (I'm not a huge breakfast eater so I usually have something small I can have with my tea)

Lunch: Leftovers; scrambled eggs and cut up bell peppers/cucumbers/etc; salad with meat and cheese and tons of veggies; sauteed veggies and whatever meat I have leftover; oatmeal with fruit; soup (homemade is best to control sodium); baked potato with sauteed veggies on top

Dinner is anything from chicken pot pie (30 min prep) to salisbury steak (30 min) to lasagna soup (crockpot)- I try to make it homemade if possible and just watch portions. I'm not into deprivation and I don't do well with baked chicken and broccoli every single night. I'm making the pot pie tomorrow actually and it contains butter (most of my baked goods do) but one serving is less than 500 cals and add a salad or roasted veggies and it's a filling meal.

I almost always have a bit of chocolate with my tea before bed.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have a regular rotation:

Breakfast is either oatmeal, yogurt + fruit, cereal (like Life or Chex or something like that), or an English muffin with low-fat cream cheese on the weekdays before work, generally with a glass of OJ (8 oz, or 4 oz on an English muffin day). On the weekends, I'll go for scrambled eggs or an omelette, a bagel with smoked salmon, or (very rarely) pancakes. If I have something that's high in carbs (like a bagel) I'll usually skip the OJ.

Lunch is usually leftovers from whatever dinner I make early in the week. It's just me and the hubs, so when we cook, we'll make a recipe for 6-8 people and eat on it for a few days. When I was "dieting," I'd make a big pot of brown or basmati rice on Sunday night and scoop it into tupperware portions, then mix it with black beans, veggies, spaghetti sauce...whatever I wanted for lunch during the week and have a little salad with it.

Dinner isn't necessarily a free-for-all, but I'll eat what I want/what the hubs wants, just make sure I portion it out.

Plus I have a snack during the day. I'm a teacher, so I'll have breakfast around 6:30, my snack during my planning period around 10am, lunch around noon, then dinner around 7. I try to make sure I get enough protein/good fats at lunch so that I'm not starving when I get home around 4:30/5, but sometimes I'll have another small snack then (or early dinner). I try to include lots of protein in my mid-morning snack, like Greek yogurt and a banana or a protein shake (12g or more), to curb my appetite. If I have to have a snack when I get home...not gonna lie, it's usually a spoonful of peanut butter or a slice (or two) of cheese. I just need that delicious fat!

If I know that we're planning to eat out that night or make a calorie-heavy meal (like burritos), then I just make sure that my breakfast/snack/lunch are lighter than usual, like yogurt and fruit for breakfast and a big veggie salad with a hard-boiled egg for lunch.

It's all about planning ahead. Try to set grocery shopping for one day a week (or twice, once on Sunday/Monday, then again on Wednesday/Thursday) and PLAN YOUR MEALS in advance. It helps SO much.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Also, as a twenty-something who is not looking to spend a lot of time and/or money on meals, check out budgetbytes.com. Lots of healthy, low-budget meals that will be good for days and days and days.
  • aBetterMe25
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    Also, as a twenty-something who is not looking to spend a lot of time and/or money on meals, check out budgetbytes.com. Lots of healthy, low-budget meals that will be good for days and days and days.
    this looks great! Thanks!

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever's on sale and whatever's about to expire. this usually means i will eat the same thing for a day or two and then move on to something else.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch pretty much every day. One day a week, I'll buy lunch out instead of brown bagging it. For dinner, I'll mix it up although leftovers play a big part since I've never really got the hang of cooking for one. Sometimes I'll update the leftovers with hot sauce or maggi sauce or frozen peas. My simplest dinner is frozen vegetables with a piece of chicken in a small casserole dish and then cook in the oven. I'll often test out different spice combos or various sauce options (tomato, soy,ginger, etc.)
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elysedorm
    Options
    getting enough protein and fat keeps me full longer, so I try to eat an egg fried on coconut oil, or at least a hard boiled egg twice a day, it helps.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt for breakfast, sometimes in a smoothie with protein powder and peanut butter, sometimes just with some pure maple syrup on it.

Lunch is usually either leftovers or a tuna melt or taco salad.

Dinner is usually something from Skinnytaste. I looooove her recipes. Tonight I had her fig balsamic pork roast and pancetta brussels sprouts.

Every night I have tea and a cookie, sometimes two cookies if I have lots of cals left!