All Inclusive Resorts and Weight Loss

Options
Hello all! Does anyone have any tips on staying on track with their weight loss and fitness plans while on vacation at an all inclusive? I'm headed to one in Mexico soon and I know I'm going to be faced with unlimited sugary drinks and all kinds of high calorie food! I've already lost over 10 pounds and there's no way I'm going to let my relaxing vacation spoil my commitment to losing weight ;) Any advice on keeping that calorie deficit while on vacation would be wonderful!! <3

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the vacation! It really depends on you. You know what you've needed to do and how you've needed to eat to lose that 10 pounds. Keep doing it while on vacation. Track and log. Overestimate calories whenever possible. Exercise to give yourself some extra calories. Don't drink the sugary alcohol or any alcohol. If you want to drink, choose unsweetened hard liquor with calorie free mixers or light beer. Load up on veggies at the buffet and skip dessert. It's all about being sensible.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, watch what you eat. Take advantage of the beach and walk or run. Enjoy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just eat reasonable portions of whatever food and drink I wanted. I wouldn't calorie count on vacation. That would kind of ruin it for me.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How is it any different than being at home? Use moderation and self control. Try to log your food as accurately as you can. Stop eating when you're not hungry anymore.

If you want to let loose and eat a little more, drink a little more, go for it! you're on vacation.

Utilize the gym or the pool a lot to balance things out. Try to stay active.

Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We talked about this at our Weight Watchers meeting last night. One participant pointed out that at these resorts there are lots of things to DO, too, if we make the effort to go. Perhaps focusing on the doing stuff will help you stay on track.
  • johbro
    johbro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You may be swimming and hiking more. Maybe logging exercise will balance the increased calories. Also, avoid sauces and potential hidden calories.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When we went to Mexico a few years back I actually lost weight. I drank only water during the day except for a cup or two of coffee in the morning. We were running around and swimming so much that it seemed to make up for any extra calories.
  • erindunphy
    erindunphy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I hadn't considered how much extra activity we'd be doing. We're not lounge chair by the pool all day people :) I'll be swimming and scuba diving plenty, as well as going on walking excursions, and I'll add a morning jog and maybe take advantage of the yoga class at the resort! I'm glad I'll be able to look at this thread while I'm there and see so much support :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I would use the hotel or resort gym in the mornings, while the other half sleeps in to do an extra cardio workout. I also tend to stay active with snorkelling, swimming and walking.

A couple of strategies for dealing with buffets.

1. Start with a soup, go back for salads. Only then have small servings of the more calorific stuff.
    2. Remember to ask yourself "Am I really enjoying this?" If so, do continue. But don't just mindlessly eat mediocre food because it is plentiful.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Ever watch someone who has been doing a strict diet hit a buffet line? Don't be this person! lol The issue is that you're away doing stuff, forget to eat, and then come back starved. Eat small meals through out the day and remember why you're doing this.
  • shezzatruth19
    shezzatruth19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I once went all inclusive to Spain for two weeks. I ate all I wanted (which was a lot). I have no idea how much I lost, but it was a lot since I went down two dress sizes. The reason for my success is because I was in the swimming pool everyday (literally all day everyday - must have done about five hours of swimming a day). Ended up with a great figure, great tan, had a great time, and ate like a horse without putting a single pound on :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Eat food in appropriate quantities...

I really don't understand how or why things have to be any different on a cruise of vacation or whatever Vs. being at home...you should always be eating food in appropriate quantities. It really is that simple.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    just because you CAN have anything.. doesn't mean you should
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy my vacation. :ohwell:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself, 'taste' everything so you don't feel deprived and give yourself one fri-fru drink a day. Otherwise light beer, or my all time favourite, prosecco, make you feel like you are getting a treat, but lower calories than a cocktail.
    As a cruiser I can tell you your biggest gain will be water, lots of salt in the food at resorts etc, so don't panic when you get on the scales when you get home. It will be gone in a couple of weeks, all the fun exercise will counteract most of your extra calories.
    Go and have fun.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Instead of water, I would treat myself to unsweetened iced tea. Additionally I would have two snacks a day of fruit plates. These treats felt like a splurge and helped to keep me full. If you get the choice of sit down meals vs. buffets, choose the sit down. Not only is the food usually fresher and better prepared, but it is portioned for you and gives you more time to consider what you really want to eat.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You control what you put in. It is there but you have to make the choice and honestly they will have lots of fruit and veggies as well as the sugar stuff. Drink water and make choices that are healthy just as you would at home. Stay away from things in sauce and ask questions about what is in things they usually are willing to help you and provide things that are healthy options.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Portion control. And good common sense… some things are tricky… but you generally will know your healthiest and lowest calorie options. Absolutely make use of the gym early in the morning to get your day started out right. Keep busy. Take advantage of all the stuff there is to DO. Keep yourself hydrated…. lots of water. It will help you eat less and drink less of the sugary and/or alcoholic drinks.
  • deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When I go on vacation, I also typically look at it as an opportunity to vacation from logging every single little thing I eat. I realize this might not work for some people, but if I go too long obsessively logging anything and everything I put in my mouth, I tend to develop some disordered eating patterns, and it gets a little obsessive and a little unhealthy.

So, vacation time = lax logging time for me!

I also don't worry so much about unhealthy foods. I'll have a bite of desert, or a fancy cocktail, or a cinnamon roll for breakfast. However, I do try to not go overboard. If one meal is unhealthy, then make sure the other two are healthy! And portion control is important too. If you eat something on the less healthy side, maybe just eat half of what's given to you.

And stay active- take advantage of hotel gyms, gorgeous open beaches, or fancy indoor pools. 30, 60, or 90 minutes out of your day to workout is totally worth it, and it makes the rest of the day that much more awesome- now you've earned your lounge by the pool!

Most importantly: if you do slip up, and have a binge-y day, or an extra lazy day, or both of those all in one day, don't beat yourself up! We all have slip up days. Remember this is a journey, and one day won't derail your progress if you don't let it.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I returned on Friday 11/21 from a week's vacation at an all-inclusive. I worked out at the spa 3 days and walked around the complex each day. I am a "lie around the pool" at these locations, but I ate and drank what I wanted. I weighed myself this morning (4 days after my return), and I am exactly the same weight before I left on 11/14.

Drink lots of water - it's hot, and if you are eating buffet foods and drinking more alcohol than usual, it will flush out of you in no time.

Have fun!!!