Options
2»

Replies

• michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Spin absolutely kills me.
    In a good way.

I like that it caters for all levels of fitness, i am fit but still find it very challenging. Agree with what a lot of people say about it depends on the instructor.

45 minutes of spin feels like 2 hours haha.
  • steebsthegreat
    steebsthegreat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So I look my first class 2 weeks ago and LOVED it. My instructor is awesome, it's definitely a challenging workout, and the towel was a must! I've signed up for classes on Thursdays with the occasional Saturday because I've enjoyed it so much.
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    LOVE spin classes! I cycle all spring, summer and fall to get around, but from November to April I replace outdoor cycling with spinning.

I know some people will say that it's not as effective a way to work out as, say, weight training or other forms of cardio. I don't care. It keeps me in cycling shape for the summer, plus, it's fun and it's something I can actually motivate myself to do. Finding instructors who play great music is a bonus.

Agree that your butt will hurt at first. That's just how it goes. Wear padded cycling shorts, or just keep at it until you get used to it.
  • jessrachel2191
    jessrachel2191 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love spinning! It's helped me lose over 20 lbs! Not only is it a great workout, but it's so much fun and it keeps me going back to the gym! It's also very easy to go at your own pace and follow the instructor's directions only if it feels good to your body.

At first I was nervous about going to any sort of group fitness class because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up with the group, but I just found a bike toward the back and did the best I could. Within a few months of consistent practice, I had no problem keeping up with the group.

Also, if you don't like your first class, try it again with a different instructor. An awesome instructor makes all the difference! And don't be afraid to ask the instructor to help position the bike correctly for you or even a fellow spinner (that looks friendly and experienced). Being correctly fit for the bike is super important and keeps you from getting injured.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use my spin bike in the winter but given the choice I would ride outside all year long :) That said, spinning is a great cardio burn and in fact I spent an hour on my bike with a DVD this morning. I don't typically do classes but use my spinner at home. It is all about how hard you want to push yourself. This morning I did flats and intervals and it kicked my butt. You will get out of it what you put in! Give it a try, I think you'll probably like it.