I am afraid

Options
GG983
GG983 Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Getting Started
I am here to lose weight and get healthy. But I am afraid to fail. I am afraid that if I fail I will be worse off than before. Im afraid of being overwhelmed and giving up. I am afraid to not get healthy and die to soon like my Dad did. I'm afraid my family and friends don't really know what I am going through and I dont want to go through it alone. I don't know where to start. Do I dive in head first and swim for the deep end or do I wade in the shallow end?Anyone have any advice? Anyone want to be friends with a slightly anxious overweight female ready to make a lifestyle change?

Replies

• I know your fear, but you never know till you try... add me if youd like
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't try any bizarre fad diets, you CAN NOT BE WORSE OFF. I fail all the time, but because I keep trying I am BETTER than before. If I didn't keep trying I would be even fatter and have an even harder time keeping up with the things I want to do.

Most studies recommend wading in the shallow end. Set one nutrition goal and one fitness goal for this week (ie, eat five veg a day and do 5 minutes of exercise a day).

Also, since this seems to be tied in with your emotions about your father's death, I suggest you seek therapy. Dealing with emotional issues will help you deal with the weight issues, especially the overeating.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Failure is part and parcel of life. We all fail. If you spend enough time around here you finally come to realize that all of us, every one, fail. The difference is whether or not you let the failure beat you or if you just pick yourself up and get back on the merry-go-round.

I wouldn't presume to give you much advice other than something that was beaten into me during my time in the military: *some* action is always better than *no* action. I understand your fear, but doing the same things you're doing will result in the same end results you're seeing. Pick a thread and start unravelling, so to speak. Doesn't matter which thread, just pick one.

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you wish.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    you don't have to do it all right away. make small changes and watch them add up. i lost the majority of my weight simply dropping junk food and committing to walk everywhere i go instead of take the bus.

umm, anyway, i totally get the anxiety thing. add me if you want, i'm lazy and i don't always eat the best but i sympathize with your situation.
  • NewLeaf_13
    NewLeaf_13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You say you don't know where to start, but by making this post you made a very important first step. I think a lot of us felt similarly when we first got started...the "what ifs" can be overwhelming. But like concordancia said, you can't be worse off. There may be days where you "fail"...you go way over calories, you don't exercise, you don't hit your weight loss milestone when you expected. That is ok...just shake it off and get back on track tomorrow. Heck I failed on and off for about 6 months, but here I am!

As far as diving off the deep end vs wading in the shallow end, do whatever works for you. For me, starting slowly was easier. Set one small goal at a time (drink more water, take one walk, eat more veggies, etc) and set more strict goals as you go on. For others, diving head first with hardcore working out and logging is what works.

Adding friends is also a big help. Feel free to add me. I've suffered with anxiety for most of my life, and it took me a long time to figure out how to control it. Don't be afraid to seek professional help if you feel it's needed.

Good luck!
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You have taken a step in the right direction. Simply making the decision to attempt to eat healthier is a step in the right direction. I have been on this journey for a while, taking detours along the way. I am an emotional/stress eater, so it has been a struggle off and on. I suggest that you do what others have said, and start in the wading pool, taking mini-steps along the way. Realize that you may hit a bump along the way. But do not let that stop you from continuing. My family does not understand my need to eat healthier than they do, so I am on my own many times over at home. But, you can/will find support here. One note to keep in mind that although most people on MFP are awesome, there are some that can be mean spirited; and there are some people who simply do not know how to say things without being obnoxious or rude; and there are people who are well-meaning, yet may say something that hurts your feelings. If you experience that, please do not let it defer you from coming back here.

Keep your chin up! You can and will do it. I was a popaholic, and I have not had one for over two or three months now. I switched to iced tea, replacing it for a pop at least twice per week, and then three or four times per week, and now I am not drinking it at all. I do crave it at times, especially when I see it in my fridge because my family has it; but I have control over it. You will, too, be able to gain control over whatever your weeknesses are, one weakness at a time. This is not a speed race, this is a slow and steady race, yet there may be some detours to experience and work through. And.... exercise is very important.... even if you can only walk for 5 minutes. You will be able to work out longer and longer. You can/will do it.

Please friend me should you want to. I am not good at posting everyday.... in fact, I am on MFP again just in the past couple of weeks; but first joined in 2011 or 2012. I wish you success for your health and well being.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sorry this is so long..

a long time ago.. when I first started, I could only walk from here to the corner...so I did it and the next day I went half way to the next block. Today I walked close to 5 miles.. 87lbs took me almost 3 years and a few starts and stops.

Helen Keller said, "The bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn."

I'm 59, and so wish I had this revelation that an exception that I make today, doesn't have to affect tomorrow. It's not a matter of my "will power" or some other personal failing. It's bad habits, that can be replaced one by one by new habits. Pick one, change it.. then pick another ... before you know it you'll be whipping out the measuring cups to be sure that you're only getting 1/2 a cup of spinach.

I always recommend this book, http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Blackmail-People-Obligation-Manipulate/dp/0060928972 Emotional Blackmail When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You... What I discovered was that the more you don't keep promises to yourself, the more you belittle yourself.. and make yourself less important. But if you make a small promise, walking to the end of the block and back ... and keep it, the next one is easier to keep.

I'd be glad to be your friend... you can change the ending to this story. My dad died at 53, because of diabetes, several uncles died of diabetes, my brothers have diabetes... I don't have to .. That was the big goal, but it takes a lot of little goals to get there.. every day I have new ones... sometimes I screw up, but mostly I don't ..

9386728.png
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. I spent a lot of time thinking just as you are. Then I got out of my own head and just did it. Much simpler.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    GG983 wrote: »
    I am here to lose weight and get healthy. But I am afraid to fail. I am afraid that if I fail I will be worse off than before. Im afraid of being overwhelmed and giving up. I am afraid to not get healthy and die to soon like my Dad did. I'm afraid my family and friends don't really know what I am going through and I dont want to go through it alone. I don't know where to start. Do I dive in head first and swim for the deep end or do I wade in the shallow end?Anyone have any advice? Anyone want to be friends with a slightly anxious overweight female ready to make a lifestyle change?

I was worried about this myself. I recently was attempting to make improvements in another area of my life and there were times when I felt like I was worse off than I was when I started. And I wondered why I even bothered to try if it was only making things worse. The thing I told myself then and I still tell myself this periodically when I have "failures" in the weight loss area… "if this is where I am at when I'm actually trying… imagine where I'd be if I stopped trying altogether!"

Personally, I did not dive in head first. If I would have tried that… I would have burnt myself out within a week. I made small changes that I could live with (starting with the changes I thought would be easiest to make… I figured if I could have a small success then it would help motivate me to continue) and gradually made more changes as I became comfortable with those.

Feel free to add me if I can be of help.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    When you want to learn to swim you don't jump in the deep end from the start. You wade in and slowly learn how to swim so you don't drown. Slowly begin making changes in how you eat, and slowly incorporate simple exercises like walking. Making a complete change instantly is what will make you want to quit too quickly. I'll send a friend request if you would like to add me as a friend. :flowerforyou:
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    kimmagr wrote: »
    I totally get it. I spent a lot of time thinking just as you are. Then I got out of my own head and just did it. Much simpler.
    I LOVE THIS.. yes, just get out of your head and take action! HIGH FIVE! <3

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    As Nike says...just do it :)
    Take it in small steps, and they all add up. Eat more healthily, start some exercise and build up. You'll start noticing changes and feel more motivated. You've got nothing to lose (except weight)!

I'm having to lose again due to pregnancy, but I'm just getting on with it, and nearly 7 months post partum I'm glad I dragged my tired self to the gym when my baby was 6.5 weeks old. I felt huge for ages, but all of a sudden I see the weight is going and I'm fitting into more and more old clothes.
  • GG983
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! Its truly amazing what a few words of encouragement can do! Today is a brand new day and I am ready to start! :D
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The only true failure is giving up.

No one is perfect. We all have days where we mess up. The key to success is forgiving yourself and getting back on track the next day. Recognizing that I will never be a "perfect dieter" really was the key for me to have the success that I've had. Understanding that I will mess up sometimes and just moving on and keeping on trying has led me to lose more weight than I ever have before and be in the best shape of my life (it's cliche, but true).

You just have to start. And keep trying.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just take it slow don't try to do everything all at once or you will just get frustrated. I like to blog on MFP which makes me feel better because I am letting out some of thoughts and feelings. You could try that and it might make you feel better!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi failure is different for everyone I don't look at it as failure but a lesson how to succeed in the future, do I eat chocolate? sure I do , do I enjoy a party? yes these are not failures these are life and you will have days you win the battle and days you haven't won yet but be positive make a plan and you can do this!!!!
    Failure for me is death as once you do this theres no rectifying it so as long as no one died its fixable.

My dad passed away recently from terminal cancer his lifestyle was awful heavy smoker drinker and the only thing bright coloured he ate were sweets. Im not saying he wouldn't have got cancer but he might have fought it had he been stronger and healthier so all you can do is try and be the best strongest you that you can be and as long as you do your best that's not failure.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    What does "fail" even mean when it comes to weight loss? It's not a pass/fail scenario. You will take a longer or shorter time to reach your goal. That's all. I often eat at maintenance or even a little over when going to a favorite restaurant or having a special day with my beloved, and it's fine. It's just going to add a day or two to reaching my goal. I'm not racing anyone, so that's cool.
  • GG983
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I really feel like I can do this!!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 3 and half years and I still 'fail' if that's what you want to call it. It's not about those moments and more about starting straight back to normal the next day.

You are what you do the majority of the time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a major undertaking. I don't blame you for thinking long and hard. I learned from my therapist that a mental trap we can get in to is "all or nothing thinking". It is usually associated with depression and anxiety disorders, but I think it relates well to a lot of the feelings we have on a weight loss journey. There's plenty of ups and downs, and one can wonder if it will all be worthwhile.

http://panicdisorder.about.com/od/livingwithpd/tp/All-Or-Nothing-Thinking.htm