Contentment kills motivation!

Options
The other day I went jeans shopping, and was pleasantly surprised when I was able to get into a size 11 (I was in a 16W before, so this is awesome for me)! This is when I decided to take some time off from food logging to see how I did. Again, pleasantly surprised at my control with food!

So here's my problem. I'm only 19 from my goal, but these NSV's have me content with the 35 I've lost. Because I'm content, my motivation has stalled...LOL!

Anyone else hit this spot? How did you get going again to actually reach your goal?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have not had this problem yet, That being said you need to look at why you set the first goal and reevaluate it. Good Luck!
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation (actually very similar numbers, too!) I think what has me motivated to keep logging and staying accountable is that I am terrified of not being able to maintain. I have eased up on the deficit, so I'm happier with a much much slower loss (I'd even be okay with maintaining). I am so happy with the progress I've made that I'm not willing to give that up. I also agree with redfisher - reevaluate your goal and why you made it. You may just want to switch to maintenance for a couple months and see if you feel any more motivated to lose the last 20 lbs.
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Like redfisher said, look back at why you set your initial goal. I don't see a problem staying where you are if you feel happy there. Maybe just enjoy being where you are for a bit then take up losing again when you feel like the time is right. It might be good for you to take some time to be happy and content in the present rather than reaching to the future. You can start weight loss again when you get sick of those new jeans.
  • onewarmmomma
    onewarmmomma Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys :) I initially wanted to be at my goal weight by Christmas...however at this point that's too much too fast (my own fault, and I accept that).

I do feel amazing where I am, and according to statistics I'm "an average woman." First of all, I don't want to be a statistic...and medically I'm still "overweight." I guess that alone should be motivation :)
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel like I could have written your post. I've been trying for MONTHS to dig myself out of the hole of contentment. I was finally able to fit into *some* of my old clothes and thought I'd made it. When I was 20 lbs heavier I would've loved to be at my current weight. I do the week vs weekend shuffle, where I basically end up eating at maintenance. I've been lifting more weights and I give myself credit for that BUT I'm not cutting back enough to see a difference in weight. We have a big trip planned August 2015 and I would really like to be at my goal weight. Knowing that I have time to get there is almost making it worse. I know I need to quit whining and get to it, but I'd love to hear some feedback on how people keep motivated.
  • onewarmmomma
    Options
    I want to join the new gym down the street from me...tone up some of this business. LOL!!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    First of all, I don't want to be a statistic...and medically I'm still "overweight."

???

if "medically" is the case - do you mean that you and your PCP evaluated your goals and overall health risks and went from there?

but what do you mean about the statistic? you're you. if you choose to think of yourself as that, then voila, but otherwise, ???

reset - do your best 80s montage scene - watch those drops of sweat fly away and get you going again! recalibrate your goals - is it a scale number? is it a size? is it a "feeling"? figure that out and GO FOR IT! it's right there, and you know, we all know, that you've got it and you'll do it.

*tries to bite tree*
  • onewarmmomma
    Options

reset - do your best 80s montage scene - watch those drops of sweat fly away and get you going again! recalibrate your goals - is it a scale number? is it a size? is it a "feeling"? figure that out and GO FOR IT! it's right there, and you know, we all know, that you've got it and you'll do it.

*tries to bite tree*

LMAO! As far as stats, they say the average American woman weighs the same as I do now. I've always been one to break the mold, so being an average statistic doesn't fit me. LOL!

My PCP says I'm healthy, but my weight is outside of the normal range. I don't have high blood pressure or high blood sugar, by heart rate is great, cholesterol is good. They just look at the scale and base their comments on the number...which I hate!

I'll get there...then I'll bite a tree with you. ROFL!

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    you're rockin it! stats are scared off! and don't forget to add the extra awesome.

and then stomp the hell out of the scale.

Being awesome is one helluva good start to recalibrate. lovin it!

:)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Strip naked and stand in front of a full length mirror, preferably in fluorescent lighting.

If you still like what you see, you've arrived. If not the sight might give you more than enough motivation to keep going LOL!
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Strip naked and stand in front of a full length mirror, preferably in fluorescent lighting.

If you still like what you see, you've arrived. If not the sight might give you more than enough motivation to keep going LOL!

+1 this works for me, too

• onewarmmomma
    Options

Hell, the thought alone just scared me!
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options

ha! yes. this.
  • Tinatot125
    Tinatot125 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    At different times throughout my weight loss I felt I needed a break from thinking of what I was eating and to relax. I would allow myself a week or 2 sometimes 3 where I would eat what I wanted and skip the gym. By the end of that time I was ready to get going again, in fact I was really looking forward to it as I realised my old life style did not appeal to me anymore and it did not make me feel good. It was actually a good exercise because I was able to see how much I had changed. If you need a break take it. I have successfully reached my goal after 15 months and I did it at a pace that suited me and have maintained for a over a year now. There is no race to the finish line.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    The only way I know to "get going again" is to sign up for a race/challenge/event and begin training in order to reach that goal. I would never have wanted to compete in something if I wasn't at a good weight and strength level for my height/weight. Just remember that you are worth losing those extra pounds and you are going to feel amazing when you can get into even SMALLER sizes!! Best of luck!