Under active Thyroid

Options
Still working on getting medication at the right pitch, doctor says it takes time. Does anyone else find it difficult to see a loss with this condition, any advice much appreciated.

Replies

• josee1965
    Options
    The medication in itself will make you hungry. I found that eating 6 small meals a day helped. Since the age of 14 my neck was always large because of my thyroid. Eating more protein it shrunk by 2 inches. You can definatly lose weight:)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    So long as you record and weight everything that you eat and drink you'll lose weight once your medication is right.

It may take awhile to get the medication right, but keep logging and you'll be on track soon enough =)

Not exactly true. I had a physical just last week (I've had Hashimoto's since 2003) and during an ultrasound they discovered that I have an "irrated thyroid". I take .75 of synthroid daily. My doctor and endocrinologist both told me on 2 seperate occasions that even eating at a deficit, it's still a struggle to lose weight when you have thyroid disease. You can still lose for sure, but it will take a little more time than 'normal people'.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    When I was first put on medication for hypothyroidism, I lose weight weight. And for the first time in since I was in college (a long time ago), I felt like I could eat like a normal person and not gain weight.
    However, the honeymoon period ended and despite trying a new thyroid medication, I am still struggling to lose the 5 pounds I gained. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is. I try to eat a clean diet and I exercise several days a week. I read a few days ago that walnuts can interfere with thyroid medication so I've cut out walnuts with my oatmeal.
    If anyone wants to look at my food diary and offer suggestions, I'd love to hear some ideas. All my jeans are tight and I'm desperate to lose some weight before the holiday! :\
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    So long as you record and weight everything that you eat and drink you'll lose weight once your medication is right.

It may take awhile to get the medication right, but keep logging and you'll be on track soon enough =)

Not exactly true. I had a physical just last week (I've had Hashimoto's since 2003) and during an ultrasound they discovered that I have an "irrated thyroid". I take .75 of synthroid daily. My doctor and endocrinologist both told me on 2 seperate occasions that even eating at a deficit, it's still a struggle to lose weight when you have thyroid disease. You can still lose for sure, but it will take a little more time than 'normal people'.

Agreed.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was fortunate that the dosage I was prescribed worked right away. I don't have problems with weight loss now. Don't give up. It may get easier when your med is right.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I actually just got diagnosed with hypothyroidism like a week ago and got put on medicine recently. Up until this point where I actually got a diagnosis, I've had no problems losing weight. Not sure if the medicine will affect much!
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was on 50 mcg of Levo for several months. I saw absolutely no difference in how I felt, or any effect on my weight. I thought it was a waste and I stopped taking it. (I hate pills, even vitamins) I am still hypo but have had no problem losing weight with MFP. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It does take time! Hang in there!

I couldn't lose weight before I got my thyroid issues fixed. The only way to do it was to eat almost nothing, which brings it's own problems, lol.

After my levels were good, the weight started coming off. I have to eat a LOT less than many people and exercise, but I do lose.

I've lost 75 pounds since they fixed me and it's still coming off.

I know not everyone can lose, even with the Synthroid. I'm not saying, "I did it, so anyone can!" So not!

The Synthroid doesn't just help with weight loss, either. Around here, we focus on weight. My constipation and fatigue issues also disappeared. I went through so much Eucerin that I bought it in bulk. Now, it's the rare day that I put lotion on anything except elbows, ankles and maybe knees. It's been a miracle for me.

It took some time, though. :)

Hang in there. :)
  • shemaiahbarton3
    shemaiahbarton3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed two years ago with hypothyroidism, keep in mind different thyroid disorders affect the body differently. Hashimotos is very different than underactive or overactive thyroid disorders. and it has taken up until a few months ago to get my doses right, before no matter what I ate or what exercises I did, I was unable to lose weight. I was teaching dance and dancing 5-6 hours each day and eating ~1200 calories and gaining weight...don't give up! Now that I have a correct dossage eating ~1600 a day and light exercise the weight is coming off easily.

Be easy on yourself, you are likely doing nothing wrong, hormones are more powerful than anything you can control, work with your doctor!
    You can do it!
  • msk3001
    msk3001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sarieth05 wrote: »
    I actually just got diagnosed with hypothyroidism like a week ago and got put on medicine recently. Up until this point where I actually got a diagnosis, I've had no problems losing weight. Not sure if the medicine will affect much!

Ha- me too... I was actally quite surprised about the diagnosis- I kinda expected the opposite and now I'm really curious to see whether something happens...
  • notfromarizona
    notfromarizona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am not on medication currently, but my thyroid is slightly underactive. I'm supposed to get tested for medicine but now I'm scared- I've been losing at a decent rate since I started here, can/will medicine interfere with that?
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with Hashimoto's for a while too....I want to state that every persons experience is different.
    My dosage at 175mcg had me at a size 4, a very unhealthy skinny weight, 1 year ago they bumped it down to 150mcg,I struggled and I still struggle today.
    I finally went to a nutritionist because I heard "eat this, don't eat this" which drove me insane.
    I had to stop counting calories-that I ate or burned, I had to stop measuring and weighing period.
    She has taught me how to "listen to my body" when I am hungry and when I am not.
    I gained 20 pounds during this last year, but now I know how to listen to my body.
    She also didn't regulate what I ate, so when I started I had "disordered eating", now I eat the proper amount of protein, carbs, and fats to make it through the day.
    I just started logging again, curious to see what my caloric intake is and surprisingly it is under my goal, and I'm not obsessed with staying under my goal.
    Losing weight is hard enough, but doing it with an underactive thyroid, sucks!
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid (I've read numerous places that the generic may not be as effective as the brand name, so I've never taken generic {my doc told me last time I was in that doctors have been hearing this as well}) for hypothyroidism for 4.5 years. I've had to have my dose adjusted slightly a couple of times. I also take prescription strength Prilosec and I've had to take iron supplements at times. Both antacids and iron can affect the efficacy of thyroid medications, so they shouldn't be taken at the same time. I didn't know this for at least the first year I was on Synthroid.

Once I found out and started taking everything at intervals, that helped, but I also found that exercise made a huge difference for me. Yes, I still had to watch what I ate, but I was able to eat more because of the deficit that exercise created. Plus, as I gained more lean body mass, muscle burns more calories (even at rest) than fat, so that has helped too. I've lost 46 lbs since my initial diagnosis. I had lost most of that within the first year of my diagnosis, but gained about 20 back when I stopped working out. I got back on track in 2012, lost the weight and have kept it off for over 2 years.

Hypothyroidism is a bump in the road, to be sure, but it certainly doesn't mean that you can't lose weight. For me, working out 3-5 days a week has become the habit that makes maintaining easy. I hope you're able to get where you want to be and stick with the new habits you create as well.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 20+ years ago, and over the years my Synthoid dosage has increased to the point I now take 200 mcg/day. I've been on that dosage for the last several years, and recent labs show that it is still good for me. I had horrible symptoms when I was initially diagnosed, including weight gain, being cold all the time, being very emotional and depression. After getting on the proper dosage, all my symptoms improved. That being said, I do not have Hashimoto's, so my under active thyroid wasn't caused by an immune system response.

The cause of your hypothyroidism can play a huge role in how easily you may or may not lose weight, so what works for some of us may or may not work for you.

Personally, because mine has been so well controlled for several years, once I finally decided to do something about my weight, the pounds just started melting off and I've managed to lose 82 pounds so far. Can you lose weight with hypothyroidism? YES! Once your meds are dialed in, will it be "easy"? Maybe, but maybe not. However, even if it still isn't as easy as it is for someone not dealing with thyroid problems, you can still lose weight. It may just take working more closely with your doctor and/or a dietician/nutritionist to get the results you want.

It may be more difficult for you to do, but don't let a thyroid issue deter you from trying to reach your weight loss goals!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    For me I do not have a thyroid so I find it extremely hard to lose weight. I have to excise really hard to even lose 1 lb, but it does come off, but as soon as I stop it seems at least 3 lbs goes on.

Went to the endocrinologist, my levels were too high, she is decreasing them gradually from 275 to 200 and then down to 140. She also had to take 2000 iu of Vitamin D as mine was really low. The difference before the Vitamin is like night and day, as I am more alert and energetic.

I normally take my Synthroid first thing in the morning with 24 ounces of water, then have breakfast at least 1 hr to 1 1/2 hours later. I take the Vitamin D with my evening meal. I also watch what I eat: no soy, no fresh water fish to name a few.

I also refuse to take the generic form of Synthroid. Always check my medication before leaving the pharmacy as they have given me the generic form without my checking.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypo in my third trimester, I've been on Levo for a little over a year now. I knew my dosage was wrong because I felt that everything was off, my mind was producing a million thoughts a second, I could have slept all day (not possible when you have a baby) and it wasn't really that I couldn't lose weight during all this but that I had no desire or energy to do anything but exist in a fog. I got my dosage raised in July and I am doing much better, on top of that, I have lost 32 months since August :)
  • pmollet29
    Options
    sarieth05 wrote: »

You could be in a place right now where I was in July when your levels were just starting to sky rocket. It was not until after I was diagnosed that I started getting all the symptoms of ridged nails, extremely dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, no energy, and here came the weight.
  • pmollet29
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid (I've read numerous places that the generic may not be as effective as the brand name, so I've never taken generic {my doc told me last time I was in that doctors have been hearing this as well}) for hypothyroidism for 4.5 years. I've had to have my dose adjusted slightly a couple of times. I also take prescription strength Prilosec and I've had to take iron supplements at times. Both antacids and iron can affect the efficacy of thyroid medications, so they shouldn't be taken at the same time. I didn't know this for at least the first year I was on Synthroid.

Once I found out and started taking everything at intervals, that helped, but I also found that exercise made a huge difference for me. Yes, I still had to watch what I ate, but I was able to eat more because of the deficit that exercise created. Plus, as I gained more lean body mass, muscle burns more calories (even at rest) than fat, so that has helped too. I've lost 46 lbs since my initial diagnosis. I had lost most of that within the first year of my diagnosis, but gained about 20 back when I stopped working out. I got back on track in 2012, lost the weight and have kept it off for over 2 years.

Hypothyroidism is a bump in the road, to be sure, but it certainly doesn't mean that you can't lose weight. For me, working out 3-5 days a week has become the habit that makes maintaining easy. I hope you're able to get where you want to be and stick with the new habits you create as well.
    Thank you for your post. I feel more energized working out daily than when I don't. I was diagnosed in July 2014 and have gained 10 pounds. This week I started adding kettle bell every other day. The other days I do cardio…not that kettle bell is not a little cardio. I'm hoping that will help me.
  • melx123
    melx123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism around 9 months ago. I lost 95 lbs before that though, so its possible to lose weight. Thought maybe getting started on meds would help even more but it hasn't much, besides it making me hungry all the time. lol